Brewer Fanatic

2011 postseason roster: Taylor chosen over Wilson for NLDS (reply #41)

FoxyFoxes
Just saying to djoctagon that is my playoff roster on MLB 2k11. Braddock/Narvey would have been a very good combo because of vastly different styles. Too bad about ZB . Oh well , Brewers just swept the Braves and are now lookin at Philly. Only pitcher to not pitch in the series was Marcum. Kotsay had a big walk off win for Game 1 of the series too lol

i'm hoping the brewers wait until 1 september to activate carlos gomez. he can be available for the four games in september against the cardinals. it's a convenience for the brewers to keep him stashed on the dl past 31 august (but still eligible for the postseason).

assuming that the current brewers' starters have all gone deep during the last days of august (with no postponed games), i'd call for optioning marco estrada on 31 august and recalling mat gamel (keeping taylor green on the 25-man on 31 august).

Outfielders (6)
Braun
Morgan
Hart
Gomez
Kotsay
Gamel

Infielders (6)
Fielder
Weeks
Betancourt
McGehee
Hairston
Green

Catchers (2)
Lucroy
Kottaras

Starting Pitchers (4)
Greinke
Marcum
Gallardo
Wolf

Bullpen (7)
Axford
Rodriguez
Saito
Hawkins
Loe
Estrada
Narveson

I really see them only going with 10 pitchers in the post season. Estrada and Narveson would be redundant.

An extra bench bat would be much more valuable than an extra pitcher, imo.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 1 month later...

Yo, Greinke, Marcum, Wolf

Ax, K-Rod, Saito, Hawkins, Loe, Estrada

Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, Hairston, Braun, Morgan, Hart, Lucroy

Kottaras, Counsel, Gomez, Kotsay, Green, Wilson, McGehee

I'd go with 10 pitchers. Narveson/Estrada is a toss-up, but I think I take Estrada. He can pitch either long and short out of pen if needed. I don't think Narvy is ideal as a situational lefty, and the Brewers haven't really needed one anyway. I'm more comfortable with one of the regular pressure relievers in the pen than I am with Narvy in an unfamilar situation.

I might even leave McGehee out in favor of Schafer who can be used very situationally as a runner (without burning Gomez) or as insurance as a another defensive outfielder. Doubt RR would do that, but it's an idea worth kicking around.

Edit: Can't remember when LS came up, so I don't even know if he's eligible. Now that I think about it, he probably isn't.

SP: Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum, Wolf

RP: Axford, Rodriguez, Saito, Hawkins, Estrada, Loe, Narveson

C: Lucroy, Kottaras

IF: Fielder, Weeks, Green, Kotsay, Hairston, Counsell, McGehee, Betancourt

OF: Braun, Hart, Plush, Gomez

Can't remember when LS came up, so I don't even know if he's eligible.

Would've been a smart move to get him up pre-9/1. I agree that Schafer would fill a nice role on the postseason 25-man. I'd take him over McGehee or Betancourt.

Also, if Green is left off the postseason roster(s), I will silently rage.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Looks like the final spot is down to Wilson vs. Green. I don't think Wilson brings anything to the table, other than the fact that he can play SS over Green. But with Yuni/Counsell/Hairston, I think SS is more than covered.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Both the St. Pete newspaper and FoxSports mentioned that Tampa's deadline for submitting their roster was 11 AM Tampa time.

McCalvy just tweeted, "it looks like Green over Wilson for postseason roster but it would be officially filed with MLB until Sat. Morning." So it looks like Green may be getting a spot on the roster.

Green over Wilson is really a no brainer. We have plenty of coverage in the IF and Green obviously adds more offensive value.

It also sounds that Grienke is going to start Game #2 but RR won't declare him the starter until he comes through today's workout OK.

RR also hasn't named a 3B starter but Hairston seems like a no brainer at this point. I am guessing McGehee will start against Saunders and that is it unless Hairston just stinks up the joint in Game #1

I'd rather keep Wilson over McGehee. At least you can use Wilson to PR.

As bad as McGehee has been, I still don't think I'd keep Wilson over him. I would think Gomez/Morgan would be used to PR over Wilson. Even Counsell could be used. I think the potential to use McGehee as a "power" bat off the bench is better than keeping Wilson as a PR.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

RR also hasn't named a 3B starter but Hairston seems like a no brainer at this point. I am guessing McGehee will start against Saunders and that is it unless Hairston just stinks up the joint in Game #1
Jerry Hairston isn't quite the grizzled veteran that Casey McGehee is.

Wilson has had four at-bats this month. He just doesn't add anything to this team. Hopefully Roenicke realizes this and goes with Green.

Funketown wrote:
Jerry Hairston isn't quite the grizzled veteran that Casey McGehee is.

Wilson has had four at-bats this month. He just doesn't add anything to this team. Hopefully Roenicke realizes this and goes with Green.

He did.

NLDS roster:

Pitchers (11): Yovani Gallardo, Zack Greinke, Shaun Marcum, Randy Wolf, John Axford, Francisco Rodriguez, Takasi Saito, LaTroy Hawkins, Kameron Loe, Chris Narveson, Marco Estrada.

Catchers (2): Jonathan Lucroy, George Kottaras.

Infielders (7): Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Yuniesky Betancourt, Casey McGehee, Jerry Hairston Jr., Craig Counsell, Taylor Green.

Outfielders (5): Ryan Braun, Nyjer Morgan, Corey Hart, Carlos Gomez, Mark Kotsay.

Archived