Brewer Fanatic

2011 postseason roster: Taylor chosen over Wilson for NLDS (reply #41)

FoxyFoxes

Just as it sounds. Build your Postseason Roster. I don't buy jinxes. Im curious as to the route the team would go if they make it. They need to find 1 or 2 lefties somehow yet.

Greinke , Gallardo Marcum Wolf

KROD Axford Saito Hawkins Loe Narveson Braddock Estrada

Lineup: Hart, Morgan, Braun Fielder, Weeks, Casey, Betancourt, Lucroy

Bench: Hairston, Lopez, Kotsay, Gomez, Kottaras

Does Counsell make the bench? That may be the biggest question.

Outfielders (5)

Braun

Morgan

Hart

Gomez

Kotsay

Infielders (7)

Fielder

Weeks

Betancourt

McGehee

Hairston

Counsell

Lopez

Catchers (2)

Lucroy

Kottaras

Starting Pitchers (4)

Greinke

Marcum

Gallardo

Wolf

Bullpen (7)

Axford

Rodriguez

Saito

Hawkins

Loe

LOOGY

Narveson

I don't trust Estrada anymore. Would like them to acquire a LOOGY before the waiver deadline. Also, would trade out Lopez for a better bat if one became available (Giambi/Matsui/Burrell/etc.), but that's wishful thinking and seems unlikely at this point.

OF: Braun, Morgan, Hart, Gomez, Kotsay

IF: McGehee, Betancourt, Weeks, Fielder, Hairston, Counsell (but only if another LH bat is added)

LHPH: Giambi, Matsui, Thome, or Gamel

C: Lucroy, Kottaras

SP: Gallardo, Marcum, Greinke, Wolf

RP: Narveson, Loe, Saito, Hawkins, Rodriguez, Axford, Estrada

I'd go with an 11 man staff. A 7 man pen is plenty. Unless they can get quality loogy, I'd stick with Estrada just as insurance in case of a long extra inning game.

I absolutely think a HR threat from the left side is needed for certain situations late in tight games. If they can't get one from outside, then Gamel would have to do. With that extra bat, they could keep Counsell purely for defense. Otherwise, I'd go with Lopez.

OF: Braun, Hart, Gomez, Morgan, Kotsay

IF: McGehee, Betancourt, Weeks, Fielder, Lopez, Hairston, Gamel/Lefty TBD

C: Kottaras, Lucroy

SP: Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf

RP: Narveson, Hawkins, Axford, Loe, Rodriguez, Saito, Dillard/LOOGY TBD

My postseason roster, not what I think the Brewers will do:

RP: Axford, Rodriguez, Hawkins, Saito, Loe, Narveson, Peralta*

IF: Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGehee, Green**, Gamel*, Counsell, Lopez†

OF: Braun, Hart, Morgan, Hairston

* - Peralta & Gamel would have to be added to the 25-man by Aug. 31; move Dillard out for Peralta, DFA Kotsay for Gamel

† - If Gomez is back & healthy, I'd take Gomez over Lopez

** - Green would have to be added to the 40-man roster (I believe it's currently at 39, but Kintzler could be added to the 60-man if a spot is needed & he's not expected back in time); Green would also have to be added to the 25-main by Aug. 31; DFA Wilson for Green

I firmly believe Green & Gamel being available for the postseason roster is the kind of marginal decision that could make a significant impact in short series. That's two lefty bats with power & good discipline off the bench, contrasted with the current count of zero. In addition to their regular positions, Gamel could be an emergency corner OF (no worse defensively than Kotsay) or 3B, Green an emergency 2B. Hairston's ability to play all over imo would cover depth both in the IF & OF.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

* - Peralta & Gamel would have to be added to the 25-man by Aug. 31; move Dillard out for Peralta, DFA Kotsay for Gamel

** - Green would have to be added to the 40-man roster (I believe it's currently at 39, but Kintzler could be added to the 60-man if a spot is needed & he's not expected back in time); Green would also have to be added to the 25-main by Aug. 31; DFA Wilson for Green

I firmly believe Green & Gamel being available for the postseason roster is the kind of marginal decision that could make a significant impact in short series. That's two lefty bats with power & good discipline off the bench, contrasted with the current count of zero. In addition to their regular positions, Gamel could be an emergency corner OF (no worse defensively than Kotsay) or 3B, Green an emergency 2B. Hairston's ability to play all over imo would cover depth both in the IF & OF.

This makes too much sense to ever happen. Well played, Mauer!

I'm very leery of talking about this until we're secured of a playoff spot. It's so far away and we're so from being guaranteed a spot. Fun to think about but I'm going to refrain from my roster until we've clinched.

This makes too much sense to ever happen.

I know. Even sadder to me, is that even if my roster *did* happen, I'm confident Counsell would be Roenicke's first LH pinch-hitter off the bench. Lopez would probably be second.

I like that roster if Hairston gets the majority of starts at SS. Even if he doesn't it still addresses most of the problems with the current roster. The saddest thing in my opinion is that getting to that roster wouldn't require trading or losing any valuable players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lucroy, Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGehee, Hart, Morgan, Braun

Gomez, Kotsay, Hairston, Counsell, Kottaras, Green(unless we can trade for Thome or Giambi)

Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf

Narveson, Braddock, Loe, Saito, Hawkins, K-Rod, Axford

Peralta & Gamel would have to be added to the 25-man by Aug. 31;

What are the current rules with the DL and playoff spots? I looked, and from what I could see, Peralta could be added to the playoff roster in place of one of the players currently on the DL (K-rod was awesome in the playoffs in his first year, and he didn't get into a game until September of that year).

The rules that I read said that the switch has to match up pitcher for pitcher and position player for position player, so if that rule is current, we wouldn't have the same loophole for position players.

I didn't remember that, thanks kramnoj.

Why would you put Peralta on the roster?

He's pitched as well this season as he ever has as a professional. His FB has been reported to have touched 98... and even if you're rightfully skeptical of that*, it's no stretch to say that the Brewers could be adding a reliever that can operate around 95 or more with the fastball. On top of that, he's a K/GB combo pitcher, which isn't common. Just seems like a perfect fit in the 'pen, and he's stretched out so he could be used for multiple innings.

Plus he was in the running for the 5th spot in the rotation for at least a little while this ST, so someone in the organization thinks he's pretty close to MLB-ready.

* fwiw, in this John Sickels piece from '09, he noted:

"[Peralta] had the best stuff of anyone in the series, hitting a consistent 93-95 MPH. Scouts told me they'd seen him as high as 98 earlier in the year. ... excellent K/IP mark reflects the plus stuff."

We only get 25, let's make 'em count.

Rotation (3):
Greinke
Gallardo

Marcum

Bullpen (8):
Axford

K-Rod

Saito

Hawkins

Loe

Estrada
Wolf
Narveson

Lineup (8):
Hart
Morgan

Braun

Prince
Weeks
McGehee
Betancourt
Lucroy

Bench (6):
Kottaras
Gomez
Counsell
Hairston
Kotsay

Wilson

The lineup is all locks, I think. Rotation too unless they do something like Wolf for Marcum. You can use Wolf and Narveson as LOOGYs. So I really don't think they need Estrada, I would scratch him for another bench bat, but I don't think they will. They certainly don't need Dillard, though. All the rest in the pen are locks. Gomez, Hairston, and Kottaras I think are as well, need a backup catcher and Gomez' outfield defense late is very valuable. Sadly I think Kotsay and Counsell are as well. Wilson is where I would draw the line, Hairston makes Wilson completely expendable once Weeks returns. I would include Gamel or Green on the playoff roster over Wilson just to have that bench bat, but I'm not sure that Melvin has the guts to make that call.

Gotta figure Wolf is going to start. RR likes a lefty in the rotation, he leads our starters in ERA, and it would put everyone on three days rest (no segregation home series for the NL in the playoffs this year). Not my personal opinion, but something I am sure is going to happen.

Gotta figure Wolf is going to start. RR likes a lefty in the rotation, he leads our starters in ERA, and it would put everyone on three days rest (no segregation home series for the NL in the playoffs this year). Not my personal opinion, but something I am sure is going to happen.

Not that Marcum is the perfect pitcher, but to leave him out of the playoff rotation...that's a risky move at best by RR.

Atlanta has a pretty lefty heavy lineup, though.

Not that Marcum is the perfect pitcher, but to leave him out of the playoff rotation...that's a risky move at best by RR.

Atlanta has a pretty lefty heavy lineup, though.

Not leaving him off. Figuring there will be a 4 man rotation.

absolutely love the idea of the pitching in october with narv and wolf coming out of the bullpen as LOOGYs.
Obviously, these guys have been facing righties successfully. Neither would need to be relegated to LOOGY status if available in the bullpen.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Would like to see a 3 man rotation of Greinke, Gallardo & Marcum if at all possible because I do not want Kottaras starting in the playoffs. Teams will run all day on him.

Honestly I don't want Betancourt starting in the playoffs either but benching him is unlikely to happen but I can wish. It really should be Hairston starting at SS with Morgan/Gomez in CF

I am fearful of Kotsay & Counsell getting significant pinch-hit at bats off the bench. I would hope that Lopez and Wilson are gone once Weeks & Gomez get back...

Picking up a very solid left-handed bench bat to replace Kotsay would be shrewd but won't happen

I was thinking about this today, so I'll bump it. Here's what I would do if I were Mr. Melvin:

OF (5)

Braun, Hart, Morgan, Gomez, Kotsay

IF

Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGehee, Hairston, Counsell, Green

C (2)

Lucroy, Kottaras

SP (3.5)

Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Wolf

RP (7.5)

Axford, K-Rod, Saito, Hawkins, Loe, Estrada, Wolf, Narveson

I could go either way with Counsell/Wilson. Because it's the playoffs and back ups won't start many (if any) games, I think I'd rather go with Counsell than Wilson for his defensive abilities.

I was thinking about this today, so I'll bump it. Here's what I would do if I were Mr. Melvin:

OF (5)

Braun, Hart, Morgan, Gomez, Kotsay

IF

Fielder, Weeks, Betancourt, McGehee, Hairston, Counsell, Green

C (2)

Lucroy, Kottaras

SP (3.5)

Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Wolf

RP (7.5)

Axford, K-Rod, Saito, Hawkins, Loe, Estrada, Wolf, Narveson

I could go either way with Counsell/Wilson. Because it's the playoffs and back ups won't start many (if any) games, I think I'd rather go with Counsell than Wilson for his defensive abilities.

That would be mine as of this moment as well, but it would be fluid based on how Green, Gamel, and Peralta after being promoted.

outfield: braun, hart, morgan, gomez, kotsay

infield: fielder, weeks, betancourt, mcgehee, hairston, counsell, gamel

catcher: lucroy, kottaras

starting pitching: greinke, gallardo, wolf, marcum

bullpen: axford, rodriguez, saito, hawkins, loe, braddock, narveson

Archived