Brewer Fanatic

Expectations for the St. Louis Series

jjfanec
I agree that winning tonight does not guarantee anything and there is a long way to go. I want this win tonight because I want to see how Abner LaRussa and his players would react. They seem to be extremely tight right now and the possibility of a St. Louis implosion has me highly intrigued. If the Brewers win tonight I just might drive to STL to watch the games with Colorado and to visit with the locals.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point I cango into work tonight and not be afraid of the result in this game. Gravy big time. Get out of the series no worse for the ware 4 games up. Six games up ould be huge but I doubt it happens. If it does WONDERFUL but 2 out of 3 in St Louis is really just fine.

I will still be nervous until we actually clinch this thing. That being said, I think a win tonight does wonders to crush the Cards confidence quite a bit and probably boost ours even more. But we have already had some big wins against them here the last week so I'm sure our confidence is already building even with a loss today.

Even if we sweep tonight, this thing is far from over. Remember the Cards swept the Reds late last year, and the Reds still ended up winning the division going away. If Weeks and Narvy were healthy, I might start to think we could run away with it, but given our recent injuries, I will remain concerned to the very end. That being said, I would not trade our position in the NL with anyone but the Phillies at the moment.

This is the exact same time frame as that series. They "celebrated" the Phillips-Molina-Bench-Clearing brawl anniversary the other day.

Even if we sweep tonight, this thing is far from over. Remember the Cards swept the Reds late last year, and the Reds still ended up winning the division going away. If Weeks and Narvy were healthy, I might start to think we could run away with it, but given our recent injuries, I will remain concerned to the very end. That being said, I would not trade our position in the NL with anyone but the Phillies at the moment.

This is the exact same time frame as that series. They "celebrated" the Phillips-Molina-Bench-Clearing brawl anniversary the other day.

The huge difference in these series is if the Brewers win they be up 6 games and the when the Cards swept the Reds they went up 1 game.

The huge difference in these series is if the Brewers win they be up 6 games and the when the Cards swept the Reds they went up 1 game.
Fair point. Although I will point out the Reds finished five games up at the end of the year, so there's still plenty of time and precedent for the Cards to catch up. By the way, anyone else see the Cards home/road split last year: 52-29; 34-47?

I wonder why they were so good at home and so bad on the road? LOL

If the Brewers win tonight I just might drive to STL to watch the games with Colorado and to visit with the locals.
If things unfold this way, I hope you'll share your observations here.

If 2-of-3 is meant to be, OK. But I hope the Brewers don't look owned ("owned", Nottso) on MLB Network tonight.

(and of course, it would be heartening to have a reason to just point to my signature line tonight)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think the Brewers were .5 game behind the Pirates on July 24 and the Reds were three games out of first.
You're close enough to earn your cigar. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif The Brewers were in third place, one percentage point out of first.

July 24:

NL Central W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK
Pittsburgh 52 47 .525 - 26-25 26-22 382 378 +4 Won 1
St. Louis 53 48 .525 - 25-21 28-27 474 438 +36 Lost 1
Milwaukee 54 49 .524 - 33-14 21-35 443 452 -9 Lost 2
Cincinnati 50 51 .495 3 27-23 23-28 469 433 +36 Won 2
Chicago Cubs 42 60 .412 11.5 25-31 17-29 411 507 -96 Won 3
Houston 33 68 .327 20 17-36 16-32 388 506 -118 Lost 3

Tonight:

NL Central W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10
Milwaukee 67 50 .573 - 41-15 26-35 522 490 +32 Won 6 9-1
St. Louis 62 55 .530 5 29-26 33-29 556 510 +46 Lost 2 5-5
Pittsburgh 56 60 .483 10.5 26-32 30-28 445 477 -32 Won 1 2-8
Cincinnati 56 61 .479 11 31-29 25-32 547 515 +32 Won 1 4-6
Chicago Cubs 50 67 .427 17 28-33 22-34 479 576 -97 Won 1 8-2
Houston 38 79 .325 29 19-40 19-39 449 591 -142 Lost 2 3-7

i love the difference in Run Differential from an embarassing negative number to a +32

This is off topic, but I can't look at that graphic without saying just how incredibly AWFUL Houston is. Obviously we all know that, but they have the worst record in the league by over 10 games. Our magic number is at 41 right now....Houston's elimination number is 17. SEVENTEEN!!! It's only early-mid August. Man is that brutal.

I know the series is over and done but hear me out. I found this on the wonderful interweb and it relates to someone asking if they could bring a "FASTBALL" or "CURVEBALL" sign to the ball game without risking being kicked out. Turns out a couple Jays fans had signs like that. Why would Miller Park be any different? Therefore it is my expectiation to see some signs like that in the next series at home.

Linky. http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/31275521?fb_xd_fragment#?=&cb=f139d1e01a4e6a4&relation=parent&transport=fragment&frame=f154983d56ea693

yeah, I saw that the other day on MLB Network. Too funny. They had the binoculars and everything. But it wasn't just a sign saying "FASTBALL" or what not. They had a second sign they'd put up as well. Something like "Sizzling" or "Looping" so, when held up together it would be "Sizzling FASTBALL" or "Looping CURVEBALL" and the like.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• 3 weeks later...

Anything but getting swept is fine for the Brewers in the long run. If we go 1-2 we are up 9 1/2 with 24 to play. If we win 2 of 3 we are up 11 1/2 with 24 to play which would be hard to lose.

The pitching match-ups look pretty good

Jackson vs Marcum

Westbrook vs Wolf

Dickson vs Gallardo

Dickson is making his first big league start and I know we usually struggle in those games but I like that he is going against Yo. We hit Jackson and Westbrook fairly well the last couple times we have faced them.

At this point the Brewers could get swept in BOTH Cards series and still probably be fine in terms of winning the division.

Expanding on topper's point, even getting double swept, if the Brewers go 10-11 in the rest of their games, the Cards still have to go 15-7 in the rest of theirs just to tie the Brewers. And the Cards have 7 games left with the Phils and Braves.

In short, it would take as epic a collapse as there has been in modern baseball to mess this up. I am 100x more worried about the Brewers losing their edge in terms of clinching too early than I am about them messing this up and even making it a race.

I am 100x more worried about the Brewers losing their edge in terms of clinching too early

nothing wrong at all with what was written, but it was just so strange to be reading it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wonder if Carpenter isn't hurting. I know that he didn't look very good on Saturday and that LaRussa made a mound visit instead of the Lilliquist.

This could be a crazy series. I hope that our bats come alive. I know that the odds are in our favor but I also know that we have a tougher schedule over the next couple of weeks than what we have had. If we lose a couple of games in a row I could see us tightening up. It would happen to most teams. I won't relax until after I see a division title celebration. We have made the play-offs 3 times. In 81 clinched on the next to last day, in 82 we clinched on the last day, and in 2008 we clinched on the last day of the season. In 82 and 08 we had a small cushion and played poorly in September. I am therefore conditioned to believe that it will happen again.

Archived