Brewer Fanatic

Expectations for the St. Louis Series

jjfanec

I'm not worried, Brewers will win 2 of 3 and prove they are the better team.

'Course I can say that, because I won't be on the field. And if they do loose all three, it won't effect me anyway, as I still have to get up and go to work the next day.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Westbrook is beatable tomorrow; completely depends on what Wolf shows up and if Pujols decides to actually play against MIL. He has been brutal against us so far. It would be so nice to win the first two and have Gallardo going in Game #3 even if it is against Carp.

That was a pretty lifeless game by the Cards.

I am happy about a 5 game lead but I jeez I still am not all that comfortable. I guess the no division titles in 30 years thing will do that to you.

That's why the game tomorrow is so huge for both teams. For the Cardinals, i'm sure they wanted to win more than just one game in this series, but they could stomach having the Brewers leave being down four games. To get swept though and be down six games, that would be a pretty big difference, a two game swing. Of course being back six games with 40 plus left isn't a death sentence, but that's a deep hole at this point in the year.

For the Brewers, even if they lose tomorrow, they still can be happy with a 5-1 road trip and leaving with a four game lead. Win though and being up six games simply leaves more margin for error if they have some say 2-6 or worse stretch over the next 40 plus games.

So there will be a lot of pressure on the Cardinal tomorrow because they know the math involved with a loss, that this game for them will be as close to a must win game as any game in early August can be.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I am happy about a 5 game lead but I jeez I still am not all that comfortable. I guess the no division titles in 30 years thing will do that to you.

I won't be comfortable until we clinch. I have visions of a 9 game lead evaporating the last two weeks of the season. Look how much the NL Central has changed in just the last three weeks. I thnk the Brewers were .5 game behind the Pirates on July 24 and the Reds were three games out of first.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I won't be comfortable until we clinch. I have visions of a 9 game lead evaporating the last two weeks of the season. Look how much the NL Central has changed in just the last three weeks. I thnk the Brewers were .5 game behind the Pirates on July 24 and the Reds were three games out of first.

yep, agreed. ebbs and flows come unexpectedly and inexplicably. (correct word usage?)

I think the Brewers were .5 game behind the Pirates on July 24 and the Reds were three games out of first.
You're close enough to earn your cigar. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif The Brewers were in third place, one percentage point out of first.

July 24:

NL CentralWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRADIFFSTRK
Pittsburgh5247.525-26-2526-22382378+4Won 1
St. Louis5348.525-25-2128-27474438+36Lost 1
Milwaukee5449.524-33-1421-35443452-9Lost 2
Cincinnati5051.495327-2323-28469433+36Won 2
Chicago Cubs4260.41211.525-3117-29411507-96Won 3
Houston3368.3272017-3616-32388506-118Lost 3

Tonight:

NL CentralWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRADIFFSTRKL10
Milwaukee6750.573-41-1526-35522490+32Won 69-1
St. Louis6255.530529-2633-29556510+46Lost 25-5
Pittsburgh5660.48310.526-3230-28445477-32Won 12-8
Cincinnati5661.4791131-2925-32547515+32Won 14-6
Chicago Cubs5067.4271728-3322-34479576-97Won 18-2
Houston3879.3252919-4019-39449591-142Lost 23-7

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yep, it's time to really crush these guys when they are down a little bit. Got to keep them down there because there is a lot of time left. That being said, I'm hoping this staff (my same hope from before the season) keeps us from big losing streaks. Before, when we relied mainly on offense, we were more likely to have large losing streaks.

I wonder if Pirates fans are going to remember the 'call' like we remember the sweep suits. Granted they were doing it with smoke and mirrors before, but to collapse from tied near the end of July to over 10 games back less than 3 weeks later is brutal.

Community Moderator
I wonder if Pirates fans are going to remember the 'call' like we remember the sweep suits. Granted they were doing it with smoke and mirrors before, but to collapse from tied near the end of July to over 10 games back less than 3 weeks later is brutal.
The 2001 Milwaukee Brewers weren't exactly a talented team either. They could sure hit, but usually a rotation of Jamey Wright, Jimmy Wayne Haynes, rookie Ben Sheets, Alan Levrault, and Paul Rigdon isn't going to go very far. Not to mention 10 starts by Ruben Quevado. How that team every managed to get to 38-34 before they tanked is the real miracle. Pirates fans can blame "the call" all they want, but we all know they did not have the talent.

Yep, it's time to really crush these guys when they are down a little bit. Got to keep them down there because there is a lot of time left. That being said, I'm hoping this staff (my same hope from before the season) keeps us from big losing streaks. Before, when we relied mainly on offense, we were more likely to have large losing streaks.

Bolded for agreeance. With Greinke, Gallardo, and to a very minor lesser extent Marcum, I really feel like extended losing streaks are a pretty small concern. Marcum's not been as sharp as of late, but overall, can't argue with the results.

This season, seeing 5 guys go out there and take their turns every 5 days (with Narveson now being hurt of course) has been pretty dang fun. There's some complaints about Narvy, to be sure, but how many teams have the luxury of a #5 starter as good as Narveson?

The 2001 Milwaukee Brewers weren't exactly a talented team either. They could sure hit, but usually a rotation of Jamey Wright, Jimmy Wayne Haynes, rookie Ben Sheets, Alan Levrault, and Paul Rigdon isn't going to go very far. Not to mention 10 starts by Ruben Quevado. How that team every managed to get to 38-34 before they tanked is the real miracle. Pirates fans can blame "the call" all they want, but we all know they did not have the talent.
Meat.

This is for extra credit tonight, if we leave 6 games up by beating their best and sweeping them in their house the Cards spirit will definitely be wavering.

This is a HUGE game tonight but if we lose we're still up 4 with 44 to play.

FYI we get the Pirates at home this weekend and the Cards get the Rockies at home

Found this gem on a cards forum..........I honestly hope I've never sounded this delusional about my team's playoff chances.......

"Heck we still control our own destiny. We win tomorrow then all we have

to do is win out against the Brewers and match their record against the

rest of the season and we win the division. We lose tomorrow and we

still control our own destiny, but we are only controlling it for a tie

and a one game playoff."

Even if we sweep tonight, this thing is far from over. Remember the Cards swept the Reds late last year, and the Reds still ended up winning the division going away. If Weeks and Narvy were healthy, I might start to think we could run away with it, but given our recent injuries, I will remain concerned to the very end. That being said, I would not trade our position in the NL with anyone but the Phillies at the moment.

Even if we sweep tonight, this thing is far from over. Remember the Cards swept the Reds late last year, and the Reds still ended up winning the division going away. If Weeks and Narvy were healthy, I might start to think we could run away with it, but given our recent injuries, I will remain concerned to the very end. That being said, I would not trade our position in the NL with anyone but the Phillies at the moment.
Oh, I'm not at all comfortable with the positioning just yet. I'm just saying a Cards fan saying "we control our own destiny" when they're down 5 games is a pretty silly comment. "All we have to do is sweep the Brewers from here on out!". Well, I'm looking at the games, and the Brewers have kind of pwned the Cardinals this year. (And I LIKE it!)

Archived