Brewer Fanatic

Expectations for the St. Louis Series

jjfanec
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want us to win all of the, but I'm very scared/nervous for this series. Seems like we're due for a letdown at some point, the Cardinals will be gungho to play us, as this means way more to them based on the standings. Nobody else is scared of this at all?

I'm really just hoping to snag 1 win in the series.

Provisional Member

Hey guys, Cards fan here. I come in peace i promise! Im not looking to start a fight with you guys, just interested in giving you a cardinals fan point of view. As a poster said before me, this is probably a bigger series for the cardinals than it is the brewers. Cardinals are coming off of a very good 4 game sweep in florida and we are very confident coming into this series. We were able to skip lohse so I think Cardinals fans feel pretty good about who we are throwing out there (sure wish Waino wasnt out for the season though! haha) westbrook has been pitching well lately, but man oh man does he just tend to blow up around the 5th or 6th inning!

If the cards can win 2 out of 3 I would be happy. A sweep obviously would be great, but anything less than winning 2 out of 3 would hurt really bad. There is a ton of season left to be played and I hope we get to watch a fun series this week. lets hope the bean balls dont come out and we can just enjoy a great divisional race between 2 good teams!

I respectfully disagre with anyone who says this isn't a big series. If we get 2 out 3 and go up 4 games with like 44 to play that's HUGE. A 2 game swing in these standings is a really big number right now. Let's get off on the right foot and maybe Marcum can twirl a gem (he's due).

The Brewers really need to win 2 of 3. Yes, winning just one would be OK, but now is the time to twist the knife on the Cardinals. I want the Brewers to come in guns blazing and send a message to La Russa and his Cardinals. I will be disappointed with less than two wins.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Welcome bcb3473! We always welcome competitor's fans that come for intellegent conversation. For some that is harder than others, but... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Obviously this is a big series, as any win automatically gains a whole game in the series. Even if there is a sweep (either way), there is plenty of time left, but the Central has recently become a 2 team race so all the head-to-heads are big. May the best boys in blue win!

And there's at least one Cardinal ejected.
Do we have an idea on which umpiring crew will be in St. Louis for the series?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Hey guys, Cards fan here. I come in peace i promise! Im not looking to start a fight with you guys, just interested in giving you a cardinals fan point of view.
Yeah, right http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. Nah, just teasing. It's good to hear some analysis from other fans from other organizations. One of my best friends is a Cardinals fan. He's quite knowledgeable as well and we enjoy having discussions about the Brewers and Cardinals without "fighting" about stuff. Sure, we rib each other but that's all it is.

Welcome! We hope you enjoy your stay. And we invite you to stay longer than just this series, too.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I expect the Brewers to sweep the series, culminating with Gallardo striking out 22 in a perfect game shut-out. At that point, Chris Carpenter will ask his son to explain that to him...

FYI, JSOnline poll has the Brewers getting:

0 wins: 4%

1 win: 30%

2 wins: 56%

3 wins: 10%

Without looking at pitching matchups, I have the Brewers with around a 45% chance of winning each game. Based on that SWAG:

0 wins: 17%

1 win: 41%

2 wins: 33%

3 wins: 9%

Brewers 52% favorites today, according to Vegas:

It will be interesting to see if Hart & McGehee are ready to go, and if they aren't if Jerry Hairston will remain the bench. The health of Corey Hart is a big factor in this series as it is a mega-huge drop-off from Hart to Kotsay and Roenicke doesn't seem to realize that Hairston is a much more valuable player than Kotsay

This also plays into tonight's game with Molina out via suspension, as Hart is one of the few that can steal a base.

I see Yadier Molina as an extremely valuable part of the Cardinals and it would be good to get a W tonight as Molina will be back tomorrow

I expect Cardinal fans to excessivly boo pretty much every Brewer; but especially Braun & Fielder. I expect LaRusse to complain at least one time about something dumb. I don't expect any beanball wars.

I like all of the pitching matchups but all of the Cardinals starters can be incredibly dominant or pathetic; its hard to figure out which one it will be. Jackson is not going to give up 10 runs again tonight. I am pretty confident that the Brewers will take 2 out of 3 if they can get to 4-5 runs a game. I have a ton of faith in the pitching staff.

I expect Cardinal fans to excessivly boo pretty much every Brewer; but especially Braun & Fielder. I expect LaRusse to complain at least one time about something dumb. I don't expect any beanball wars.
If Braun or Fielder hit a home run early tonight, I expect LaRussa to throw at him next at bat.

If Braun or Fielder hit a home run early tonight, I expect LaRussa to throw at him next at bat.

If that happens I sure hope the STL pitcher would get tossed rather than just issuing a warning. The umpiring crew this week better know what happened last week and just tell the managers before the game that there will be no warnings if there is an intent to hit a batter. I would hate Prince to hit a HR then next time up get drilled; both benches get warned, and the Brewers can't do anything about it. I doubt RR would ever throw at anyone though no matter what the circumtances; he just won't do it. He won't intentionally walk guys, he sure as heck won't intentionally hit anyone.

I don't know if people heard this or not....

Chris Perez, of the Indians, talks about getting the call from LaRussa to plunk people. I still cannot believe he tried to deny throwing at Braun.

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/chris-perez-indians-closer-discussed-getting

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yaaaay, Shaun Marcum:

"[La Russa] does what he wants to do, and nobody in here pays attention

to him," said Brewers starter Shaun Marcum, who will oppose the

Cardinals' Edwin Jackson in Tuesday's series opener. "It's him trying to

play head games again. We have baseball games to win and we would

rather pay attention to that."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

A friend of mine, a Cardinals fan, posted this on another message board. Interesting. I can't imagine how this is an issue for the Crew since we're not the ones retaliating against people.

It sounds like the umpire crew is going to be quite a factor in the

Brewers-Cards series that starts tonight. It includes Crew Chief Gerry Davis,

Angel Hernandez (who will be behind the plate tonight), Greg Gibson, & Mike

Estabrook.

Gibson, Davis, & Hernandez have all been known to have a

quick hook.

Good news on the umpiring crew; I am not worried about any Brewers being thrown out because they don't throw at people; STL on the other hand........

I don't recall RR throwing intentionally at anyone all year; he certainly won't start in this series.

I read somewhere that the Cardinals are throwing Westbrook on Wednesday, and Carpenter on Thursday now. That evens up the pitching matchups quite a bit. I won't exactly be satisfied if we win 1 game, but I'll be glad we didn't get swept.

Worst case scenario we still leave town in first place. In that unhappy event, just shake it off and go to work Friday night. It's sure fun caring about baseball in August rather than just watching the packers depth chart.

I'm extremely worried going into this series. I haven't been this nervous about an upcoming series (especially in August) in...well pretty much any that I can remember. I'm really just hoping we can win 1 game and still leave town in first place. Anything over that would just be awesome.

Archived