Brewer Fanatic

Expectations for the St. Louis Series

jjfanec

With St. Louis looking like they are about to sweep the Marlins both teams are coming into this series hot. It is a road series and the struggles of the Crew on the road are well document, but we have been much better (8-6) after the break. We miss Garcia and Carpenter (unless they skip someone) while they miss Greinke and Narveson. Likely it is Marcum vs Jackson, Wolf vs Lohse, and Gallardo vs Westbrook. I like each one of those match ups for the Brewers.

What are people's expectations for this series? In my head I say 2-1 but it is hard for me to be that confident on the road against a good team

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah as long as they don't get swept they will leave with a 2 game lead. The pitching matchups are pretty favorable but I really have no idea how the series will go. The Brewers are obviously playing well so I'll hope for 2 of 3 and be OK with 1 of 3.

I think the Cardinals are really putting a lot into this series. If we can take the series, we can really put a damper on them I think.

But really, just avoid a sweep and we're still in a very good spot. If they don't skip anyone, I think the matchups are probably in our favor.

Yep, one win is good but is this the type of "statement series" we need now? I mean we are getting closer to the end of the season and winning 2 of 3 on the road would really make a statement. I know it's not life or death but it's time to start making statements and winning tough series on the road right?

Given how well everyone seems to be going right now, getting sweep would be very disappointing and would likely feel like they've fallen off a cliff. I'll be OK with them winning just one game, provided they continue to play good baseball and in the losses they just get beat by a team that just played better. That said, if they somehow come out of STL up 4 or 6 games, it should be a really fun time at MP when they get back for a 7-game homestand against teams that are reeling right now.

Community Moderator

All the pressure is on the Cardinals. The Brewers took care of business at home last week. The Brewers have the 3 game lead. The Brewers are coming in winners of 11 out of 12.

If the Cardinals take anything less than 2/3, they are stuck 4 or even 6 games back with the easy schedule continuing for the Brewers.

Same game plan as last week, avoid distractions, have the starters go deep in the game, and finish them off with the bullpen. And try not to get hit by stuff falling off of Busch Stadium.

Carpenter is pitching Thursday.

Wonder how Carpenter will explain to his son when we put a beatdown on Chris.

I want blood. My expectations are taking 2 of 3. I understand why people are saying 1 of 3 but we need to raise our expectations if we are going to start taking this division.

It's always hard going to St. Louis because of the way they steal signs and spike the Brewers' water supply with malt liquor.

Still though, 1-2 will be a disappointment. A two game lead at this point is not enough for me to be happy.

1-2 is my expectation. As others have said, it really could be a statement series. I expect some very entertaining games. Give St. Louis credit for hanging in there on the road and keeping pace or this series could've been even bigger for them. I'm still a bit bitter about La Russa's antics last series so while taking the series would be a clear statement I'd still like to see a little extra from the Crew, whether it's an extra hard slide into a base or maybe just a simple glance after a home run. La Russa and the Cards game revolves a bit around intimidation and a false feeling of superiority. It'd be nice to just say, we know what you're trying to do and it isn't working.... in fact if you want to try and take another cheap shot we have a counter for you.

I expect 2 out of 3. My confidence is very high. I would also like Braun to homer and sprint full speed around the bases, sliding into home in a cloud of dust.

Really? I'd like him to saunter round the bases, wearing a top hat and carrying a cane, stopping to inquire at each base how the Cardinals infielders families are doing. But that would be classy, and UNclassy at the same time!

Would be fine with 1-2, as most others have said.

Thursday night's game seems like another of those "playoff atmosphere" affairs. It's on national TV as MLB Network's game of the week (Costas and Jim Kaat on the call) and now the pitching matchup is Yo vs. Carpenter. I know for the players it's just another game, but I really hope the Cards don't take the first two of the series...too much tension for me if they have a chance to tie on Thursday.

It would be really, really huge to win game 1 of the series. Put more pressure on the Cards, keep the momentum going and ensure that we leave with at least a 2 game lead. It would be nice if we could have an easy win at some point too, all these close games against them are going to kill me at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jackson drills the leadoff batter in Tuesday's game to try to get our blood going and then hit McGehee later in the inning to try to provoke a brawl. Just to get in our heads.

1-2 would be fine with me, keeping a 2-game lead. Anything else would be gravy. Getting swept would completely swing the momentum of the division.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived