Brewer Fanatic

Jim Thome: tip of the hatâ?¦ Latest: Hits 600th HR; Traded to Indians

LouisEly

I really like Thome as a player and a person and think that he deserves to be in the HoF, but I don't think anyone playing in the steroid era should be completely free of suspicion.

Could be, but he's not as dubious as some of the other question mark guys like Bagwell, who went from a chubby kid hitting 4 homers in 500 some at bats at AA to a ripped beast hitting 30-40 homers a year playing home games at the Astrodome in the span of 3 to 5 years. As someone else pointed out, Thome has had a pretty natural home run progression compared to sluggers of the past. He did play with guys like Manny, so I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I see no obvious red flags.

…he's a "compilier."

I can get around most typos, but this one has me befuddled.

Does Needles mean that Thome is a complier, as in being at an accessory to those who used steroids? Or might he mean compiler, as in one who's compiled his stats simply by hanging around for a long time.

Either way, Needles has me more befuddled than the typo. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

You could make the compiler argument with most guys in Cooperstown, so it's kind of a moot point. Phil Niekro was a big time compiler, so was Pete Rose (should be HOF). As for Thome,he's still been effective in recent years. I don't think the DH argument is valid either, because Thome hit over 400 homers as a positional player, and he probably could have continued playing first for the Sox had they not had Konerko.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived