Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 8/5

Mass Haas

Friday's Daily Menu:

Nashville: RHP Josh Butler at Colorado Springs (Rockies), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime;

Live Audio Link -- Select the Nashville feed from the MiLB main audio page

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers

Huntsville: TBD (likely RHP Cody Scarpetta) at home vs. Tennessee (Cubs), 6:43 PM gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

iPad/iPhone: Listen

Traditional Broadcast Live Audio Link -- Select the Tennessee feed from the MiLB main audio page

Brevard County: RHP Nick Bucci at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 6:05 PM gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Dunedin feed from the MiLB main audio page

Wisconsin: LHP Charly Bashara at home vs. Clinton (Mariners), 6:45 pre-game, 7:05 PM gametime

Live Audio Link

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers

Helena: RHP Andy Moye at home vs. Great Falls (White Sox), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): off day

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Athletics, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

PCL American North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
Omaha6250.554--33-2529-257-3L1
Memphis5755.5095.02734-2123-346-4W1
Nashville5558.4877.52534-2521-335-5L1
Iowa4964.43413.51929-2520-394-6W2

SOU North
Chattanooga2316.590--10-1013-66-4W1
*Tennessee2119.5252.52914-67-137-3W6
Carolina1821.4625.0269-119-104-6W1
Huntsville1821.4625.0267-1211-95-5L1
Jackson1723.4256.5259-118-125-5W2

FSL North
Clearwater2119.525--15-76-127-3W2
Dunedin2119.525--9-812-117-3W1
Tampa2119.525--10-1011-95-5L5
*Daytona2020.5001.03010-1010-106-4L1
Brevard County1720.4592.5296-1111-94-6L1
Lakeland1721.4473.0298-109-115-5W1

MID Western
Kane County2415.615--9-915-67-3W3
Quad Cities2415.615--14-710-88-2L1
Clinton2019.5134.02811-109-96-4W1
Beloit1722.4367.0258-109-123-7L5
Cedar Rapids1722.4367.02511-106-124-6W1
Wisconsin1623.4108.0248-138-104-6L1
Peoria1425.35910.0226-128-134-6L1
*Burlington1326.33311.0218-105-164-6W1

PIO North
Great Falls41.800--2-12-04-1W2
Billings23.4002.0321-21-12-3W1
Helena23.4002.0320-22-12-3L2
*Missoula23.4002.0321-11-22-3L1

AZL Central
AZL Dodgers2016.556--10-810-88-2W1
AZL Reds2016.556--10-810-86-4W5
AZL Indians1818.5002.01910-88-104-6L1
AZL Brewers826.23511.0114-144-121-9L5

DSL S.D. North
DSL Mariners3816.704-0.5-20-718-95-5W1
DSL Brewers3320.6234.01516-1017-106-4W2
DSL Cardinals2033.37717.0213-157-186-4L1
DSL Athletics1937.33919.5E11-158-224-6L1

Final: Dunedin 9, @Brevard County 3

The Sea Cows were getting shut out until a three-run 9th inning. Nick Bucci was touched up: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 HBP, 2 K, 7/4 GO/FO. Too many baserunners, not enough strikeouts to make up for them--in fact, Bucci has only fanned four over his last 17.2 innings. On the bright side, Eric Marzec worked a perfect inning with a strikeout in his High-A debut. Scooter Gennett was only 1-5, but the 1 was his seventh homer of the year. Hunter Morris, Shea Vucinich, Scott Krieger, and Juan Sanchez each had two hits, and Shawn Zarraga was on two of four times with a hit and a walk, as well as stealing his seventh bag of the year. D'Vontrey Richardson did not play after leaving yesterday's game in the 1st inning.

Final: Clinton 6, @Wisconsin 1

Clinton’s fast start stops Rattlers
Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
GRAND CHUTE, WI – The Clinton LumberKings jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first four innings and three Clinton pitchers held the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to a run on four hits Friday night at Time Warner Cable Field. The LumberKings beat Wisconsin 6-1.
Clinton (45-65 overall, 21-19 second half) stole a run in the top of the first inning. Carlos Ramirez was at second and Kevin Rivers was at first with two outs. Ramirez stole third and scored on a throwing error on throw for a 1-0 lead.

The LumberKings got a two-run home run from John Hicks in the top of the second inning. Then, Anthony Phillips reached on a single. While Mike McGee was at the plate, Phillips stole second and third. McGee drew a walk to put runners on the corners.
Rattlers starting pitcher Charly Bashara, a left-hander, threw over to first to keep McGee close, but Phillips broke for the plate on the toss to first. Phillips beat the throw home by first baseman Nick Ramirez and Clinton was up 4-0.

In the third inning, Stefen Romero continued to torment the Timber Rattlers. He lined a solo homer over the wall in left to open the frame. Romero’s homer was his fourth of the season against Wisconsin.
Clinton tacked on one more run in the top of the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly by Ramirez for a 6-0 lead.

Taijuan Walker was the starter for the LumberKings and – after getting out of a bases loaded jam in the first inning – kept the Rattlers (54-56, 16-24) quiet through the first 4-2/3 innings. But, the Rattlers got to him with two outs in the fifth.

Reggie Keen walked and Nick Shaw followed with a single. Shaw’s hit extended his hitting streak to 12 games and put Keen on third base. Mike Brownstein singled to knock in Shaw. But, that was it for the offense.

Walker went five innings, struck out six and allowed three hits to put himself in line for his fifth win of the season.
The Rattlers bullpen held the line against Clinton over the final five innings. But, Clinton’s relievers did the job as well.
The Timber Rattlers begin a brief four game road trip to Kane County on Saturday night. Game time is 6:00pm. Maverick Lasker (1-4, 6.68) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Yordano Ventura (2-4, 5.02) is set to start for the Cougars. Tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 5:40pm.

Walker wasn't as dominant as he was against he Rattlers in mid-May, but he was plenty good enough given their sorry offense. Some Wisconsin relievers got the chance to post nice lines: Brian Garman worked 3.1 scoreless frames with a 3/0 K/BB, and Seth Lintz tossed perfect 9th (no walks!) with two strikeouts. Shaw and Brownstein each had two hits, and Brownstein also walked. Jason Rogers, Joey Paciorek, and Chad Stang each struck out three times. Ramirez was 0-4, dropping his average to .057. When your batting average is approaching a tenth of
, it ain't a good sign.

Final: Great Falls 2, @Helena 1

Brewers Can't Capitalize, Swept by Voyagers

By Nicholas Allen

Andy Moye (4-1) took his first professional loss with a performance that

would most often result in a victory. The right-hander went seven

strong innings in which he allowed two runs, neither of which were

earned. Moye allowed four hits, one walk and struck out a career high

eight. Jacob Barnes allowed just one walk in two scoreless innings and

fanned four.

The Brewers took an early lead when John Dishon scored on Ben McMahan's

RBI single in the third. However, that was the only run Helena could

muster, leaving eight men on base, going 1-for-16 with runners in

scoring position.

The Brewers head to Missoula for a weekend set against the Osprey.

Saturday the Brewers send Drew Gagnon (0-1, 3.86) a third-round pick in

2011 from Long Beach State, to the mound to face Raymond Hernandez (5-0,

3.15).

Helena returns August 8 to Kindrick Legion field for Moustache Monday,

brought to you by the Bruigher Beard Club with $1 general admission to

anyone sporting a moustache.

Helena Box Score

McMahan added a double to his RBI single. Dishon was 1-3 with a walk & two stolen bases. Mike Nemeth had a single & two walks. Parker Berberet, perhaps the inspiration for Mustache Monday, walked once.

Helena Play-by-Play

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Final: Nashville 11, @Colorado Springs 4

Sounds Defeat Sky Sox, 11-4

Nashville Offense Stay Hot With 20-Hit Effort

Nashville Sounds

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Nashville Sounds defeated the Colorado

Springs Sky Sox, 11-4, on Friday evening at Security Service Field.

The Nashville offense continued to thrive in the thin mountain air,

legging out 20 hits one night after tying the franchise record of 24 the

previous evening.

Every Sounds position player recorded a hit in the contest, led by

three-knock efforts from Logan Schafer, Jordan Brown, Eric Farris,

Taylor Green, and Martin Maldonado, who homered for the second straight

night.

Nashville (56-58) took an early lead with two runs in the top of the

first inning against Colorado Springs starter Alan Johnson. With one

out, Brown and Farris hit consecutive doubles to put runners on second

and third. Brown scored the evening's first run on a Green groundout

before Farris came plateward on Mat Gamel's two-out RBI single.

The Sounds upped the lead to 3-0 in the second when Maldonado led off

with a single and later scored on Schafer's RBI double to right.

Schafer (3-for-5) continued his red-hot start to his Triple-A career.

The outfielder has hit safely in 14 of his 15 games with the Sounds at a

.429 clip (27-for-63). Tonight's contest marked his ninth multiple-hit

effort with Nashville.

Colorado Springs got on the board in the home half of the second when

Jorge Cantu drew an inning-opening walk from Josh Butler and later

scored on Ryan Rohlinger's one-out single to left.

Nashville plated three more runs in the fourth to extend its lead to

6-1. Maldonado led off with his second homer of the year, a solo shot to

left off Johnson. Later in the inning, Brown and Farris each singled

with two outs before each scored on Green's two-run double to right, his

team-leading 31st two-bagger of the year.

The Sounds tacked on two more in the fifth after loading the bases with

no outs against Johnson. Butler helped his own cause by drawing a walk

to force home Edwin Maysonet, who had been hit by a pitch to lead off

the frame. Schafer followed with a sacrifice fly to plate Gindl (single)

to up the lead to 8-1.

Rohlinger (4-for-4) drove in another run for the Sky Sox in the bottom

of the sixth when his two-out single off Butler brought in Cantu.

Colorado Springs scored two more runs in the eighth against Sounds

reliever Mike McClendon, pulling the home team within 8-4. Cantu smashed

an RBI double to center then scored on a Jordan Pacheco sacrifice fly.

The Sounds answered the Sky Sox's two runs with three of their own in the top of the ninth to close out the evening's scoring.

Maysonet closed he led off with a towering homer to left field off Sky

Sox reliever Eric Stults, his second longball of the year and first

since Opening Day. Later in the inning, Schafer (single) and Brown

(double) added two-out, run-scoring hits to bring the score to its final

11-4 standing.

Butler (7-6) picked up the win by tossing his sixth quality start of the

year, holding the Sky Sox to two runs on eight hits with four

strikeouts over six innings of work. In his last eight starts, the

right-hander has posted a 3.09 ERA (15er/43.2ip).

Johnson (4-8) absorbed the loss after surrendering eight runs on 14 hits in four-plus innings of action.

The teams wrap up the series with an 8:05 p.m. CT finale on Saturday

evening. Right-hander Amaury Rivas (7-11, 5.22) will take the hill for

the Sounds to face Colorado Springs right-hander Edgar Gonzalez (3-3,

5.14).

Nashville Box Score

Green finished with two doubles & one single; Gamel's RBI single was his lone hit on the game. Caleb Gindl was 2-5 with a double. Schafer & Farris each had one double, while Brown doubled twice.

Danny Herrera & Jim Henderson each worked scoreless innings of relief, & neither reliever allowed a hit.

Nashville Play-by-Play

The Sounds got off to a good start, & didn't slow down in this one:

Nashville Top of the 1st
  • Logan
    Schafer singles on a fly ball to center fielder Joe Mather. Logan
    Schafer out at 2nd, center fielder Joe Mather to shortstop Ryan
    Rohlinger.
  • Jordan Brown doubles (21) on a fly ball to center fielder Joe Mather.
  • Eric Farris doubles (19) on a fly ball to center fielder Joe Mather. Jordan Brown to 3rd.
  • Taylor Green grounds out, shortstop Ryan Rohlinger to first baseman Mike Jacobs. Jordan Brown scores.
  • Mat Gamel singles on a line drive to left fielder Mike Paulk. Eric Farris scores.
  • Edwin Maysonet singles on a fly ball to left fielder Mike Paulk. Mat Gamel to 2nd.
  • Caleb Gindl grounds out, shortstop Ryan Rohlinger to first baseman Mike Jacobs.

Don Money's lineups are pretty hard on the eyes. Not only is Farris routinely batting third, but Maysonet ahead of Gindl? Not money.

Nashville Gameday

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

BC drops rubber game to Jays

'Tees have lost seven of eight

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. -- The Brevard County Manatees dropped the rubber game of a three-game set with the Dunedin Blue Jays by the score of 9-3 on Friday night at Space Coast Stadium. The 'Tees have lost seven of their last eight games.

Nick Bucci started for the 'Tees (44-64 overall, 17-21 second half) and gave up five runs (three earned) off of six hits in 4 2/3 innings of work.

Dunedin (61-50, 22-19) got its runs off of Bucci early as the Blue Jays scored twice in the first off a two-out two-run single by Brian Van Kirk and a two-out RBI double in the second by A.J. Jimenez.

Jon Pokorny came in for Bucci in the fifth and allowed two runs in 2 1/3 innings and then Rolando Pascual gave up two runs in an inning of work.

Eric Marzec made his Manatees debut in the ninth and threw a perfect inning.

Offensively, the 'Tees did put up 11 hits, but just like Thursday, did not score until the ninth.

Juan Sanchez had a two-out double in the ninth that scored Scott Krieger and then Scooter Gennett hit a two-run homer, his seventh of the season.

Krieger, Sanchez, Hunter Morris and Shea Vucinich all had two hits each. Brevard County was just 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.

Despite Brevard County's recent struggles, remarkably the Manatees are still just 3 1/2 games out of first place in the second half.

The Manatees will travel to Lakeland to take on the Flying Tigers at 6:00 PM (5:00 Central). Austin Ross (1-2, 8.02) will get the ball for Brevard County, while Lakeland (54-55, 18-21) will throw Brian Stroud (0-1, 9.00).

Brevard County will return home on Sunday to face Lakeland for a doubleheader. The two teams will play a second doubleheader on Monday.

Boy, this article was a big jinx -- Manatees not even competitive lately.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Garman shines in defeat

by Jim Oskola, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE — One of the favorite things for a baseball manager to have happen is have his starting pitcher work deep into a game so he can mix and match his relievers with the opposing team's hitters.

That opportunity didn't present itself when Wisconsin Timber Rattlers starting pitcher Charly Bashara lasted only 3 1/3 innings.

Even though the Timber Rattlers lost to Clinton 6-1 in Friday's game at Fox Cities Stadium, Brian Garman showed that he was more than capable of picking up the team.

Garman, cast in the role of long reliever, pitched 3 1/3 innings, allowing two hits, while striking out three.

Most important, he did not let Clinton continue to build its lead.

"It's good that I had a good outing," Garman said. "If I had a poor outing, sitting back going 3 1/3 bad innings isn't what I'm looking for. Looking back on it, it's good I got to have 3 1/3 solid innings but we were really hoping Bashara was going to go deep in the game. Right now, this late into the season, the bullpen is pretty tattered and torn and you're not real sure what you're going to get out of guys. It's August and that tends to show up. I get an opportunity, I've got to make the most of it."

Garman found out Thursday from pitching coach Chris Hook that he would be the long man out of the bullpen.

"I expected to be the first guy out of the bullpen if Miller didn't throw a complete game," Garman said. "I've got to be in today. I've had five days off. We throw two arms out of the bullpen yesterday and I'm sitting there, scratching my head. I was banking on getting in today. I wasn't sure how long Bashara was going to be able to throw. Three innings. Eight innings. I wasn't sure, but if anyone else was going to throw, I was hoping it was going to be me. I just got lucky enough today that he called my number."

Garman lowered his earned run average to 3.56 with his outing.

"When I warmed up in the bullpen, I felt like I really didn't have anything going for me," he said. "Days like that, when you step on the game mound, you've just got to grind it out. You've got to trust your stuff. You've got to trust what you've done all year and just know that it's going to show up. If it doesn't show up, I'll figure out something else to do."

In the other dugout, Clinton starter Taijuan Walker got it going after the first inning. Walker allowed three hits, three walks and one run with six strikeouts over five innings.

In the first inning, the Rattlers loaded the bases on a single by Mike Brownstein and walks to Jason Rogers and Joey Paciorek but couldn't score.

"He's got a plus fastball," said Nick Shaw, who had one hit in three cracks at Walker. "First at-bat, you want to jump at that. After the first at-bat, he really seemed to settle in. He used the curveball a lot more and kept us off balance. His curveball was like 76-77 miles per hour and his fastball was 94-95. With that difference, it's tough to hit when he settles in."

The hit that Shaw got off Walker in the fifth inning helped the Rattlers score their lone run and it also extended his hitting streak to 12 games. He's hitting .368 over his last 11 games to boost his batting average to .272.

"Early in the season, there were holes in my swing everywhere," Shaw said. "I made a little adjustment probably two weeks ago that has seemed to pay off. Everyday working in the cage on that adjustment has helped me continue that streak.

"Early in the year, I was bringing my hands back and elbow was jacking up, causing my swing to loop a little bit. I just pushed my hands back as far as I can now so they can just come forward."

The 12-game hitting streak is Shaw's hottest stretch of the season. He had an 11-game hitting streak earlier this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers done in by stranded runners

by Amber Kuehn, Helena Independent Record

Steve Felix stood on third base, the tying run represented just 90 feet from home.

Chants of “Let’s go Brewers” grew louder each time Adrian Williams took a swing at a pitch.

But with Helena down to its final strike, Williams popped up to second baseman Joe De Pinto to end the game. For the fourth time Friday evening, a Brewers base runner was stranded at third, left thinking about what might have been.

“There were a lot of opportunities in that ballgame,” Helena manager Joe Ayrault said after the Brewers dropped their third straight to the Great Falls Voyagers, 2-1 at Kindrick Legion Field. “We had a runner on second base and nobody out three or four times and we could not get him to third. That’s a big part of our daily routine in batting practice, working on moving runners over, scoring a runner from third base. It was just an off night for that.”

John Dishon managed to score from third base in the third inning, after reaching on a walk and then advancing on a balk and a passed ball before Ben McMahan’s RBI single put the Brewers on the board. But that came after already leaving two on third in the early innings, and they’d strand two more from the same spot before the game was over.

“Missed opportunities,” Ayrault stressed. “In order for us to be in the hunt down the stretch, we’re going to have to get that taken care of.”

Great Falls (5-1) remained in first place in the Pioneer League North Division second-half standings, sweeping a series for the first time this season. But after pounding out 13 hits in Thursday night’s contest, the Voyagers needed just four in this one to earn the win. Needless to say, it was a tough-luck loss for Helena starter Andy Moye (4-1), who had entered with an unblemished mark and looked as strong as ever Friday.

The right-hander went seven innings, giving up just four hits and two runs — both of them unearned — while striking out eight and walking just one. Jacob Barnes was just as solid in relief, fanning four to just one walk in two scoreless innings of no-hit ball. At one point, Brewers pitchers retired 12 straight.

“Our pitchers did an outstanding job,” said the Helena skipper, whose staff leads the league in terms of ERA. “Barnes, every outing we’ve seen him this year he’s just improved from day one. He’s getting better and Moye, it was another solid start for him.”

In a tight ballgame, the Brewers (2-4) were given a gift by the baseball gods — a final chance in the ninth when De Pinto made an errant throw to first on a routine ground ball that allowed Felix to get all the way to second. With a runner in scoring position and nobody out, the crowd of 1,005 came to life.

But Stephen McCray would strike out Kenny Allison, and Mike Nemeth grounded out on what could’ve been another error by De Pinto if not for the heroics of Jimmy Jacquot. Jacquot, typically a catcher but playing first base for just the second time since Little League, picked a low throw out of the dirt for the crucial out.

“At least we had an opportunity there to do it,” Ayrault said, seeing the silver lining. “To have the tying run in scoring position at the end, that’s all you can ask for.”

The Voyagers took the lead on a two-run double by third baseman Kyle Eveland in the fifth frame. It was the only extra-base hit for Great Falls in the game, and the last time the visitors would get a base runner until Kevan Smith’s walk in the ninth. Eveland finished with two hits in the contest.

McMahan was the lone Brewer to have a multi-hit game. The designated hitter was 2 for 4 with an RBI. As a team, Helena was just 1 for 16 with runners in scoring position.

Helena heads to Missoula today for a quick two-game set. The Brewers are hoping a change of venue can shift momentum, as they fell to just 9-13 at home. They own a .500 road record.

NOTES: Steve Felix was promoted to Helena from the Arizona League Brewers on Friday. Felix, who was batting .375 in the AZL, will give Helena depth at catcher. However, the versatile Panama City, Fla., native played first base Friday and is also capable of playing in the outfield, where he spent a lot of time in college ... Friday marked the 90th anniversary of the first-ever radio broadcast of a baseball game ... Missoula infielder Eric Groff extended his Pioneer League-best hitting streak to 22 straight games Friday ... Great Falls catcher Kevan Smith started a handful of games at quarterback for Pittsburgh before moving on to a college baseball career.

Archived