Brewer Fanatic

Toronto calls up Lawrie

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't miss him and my reasons are entirely personality based haha. i get that it is a stupid reason. i'm not under any illusion that all our players are great guys but none are so blatantly...obnoxious like lawrie. facebook photos and his reaction to the grand slam. his reaction was outrageous. yeah you hit a grand slam, it's a great accomplishment but he is acting like he's a football player (i like that in my football players), throwing his helmet around, yelling like a caveman. some may like that, not me.

So I take it you hate Morgan and Braun also.

no. i don't think braun ever goes nutso like that, screaming like a madman. and morgan is a quirky kind of nuts haha. semantics maybe.
Oh yeah Braun does do that. Also Lawrie was playing for his favorite team and his home country that adds some special meaning to him. I don't see anything wrong with what he did maybe you like players to be robots and show no emotion but most people do not like that. I swear some fans in baseball want players to act like robots and show no emotion what so ever because that is how baseball is supposed to be played. When in baseball was there ever no emotion ever? Some baseball traditionalists, not saying that you are, forget about Ruth and others who did more showboating than any of the players today do.

So I take it you hate Morgan and Braun also.
no. i don't think braun ever goes nutso like that, screaming like a madman. and morgan is a quirky kind of nuts haha. semantics maybe.
Oh yeah Braun does do that. Also Lawrie was playing for his favorite team and his home country that adds some special meaning to him. I don't see anything wrong with what he did maybe you like players to be robots and show no emotion but most people do not like that. I swear some fans in baseball want players to act like robots and show no emotion what so ever because that is how baseball is supposed to be played. When in baseball was there ever no emotion ever? Some baseball traditionalists, not saying that you are, forget about Ruth and others who did more showboating than any of the players today do.

there is a huge difference between what braun does and what lawrie did. shouts of "yeah" versus guttural caveman screams.

i enjoy players sitting in the dugout the entire game expressionless. especially on grand slams. blue?

I just saw the highlights

I just watched it... ball go far.

I see absolutely zero wrong with anything Lawrie did after the GS. I love players that show that they're having fun, let's not turn into Cards fans here.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Dont really think there was much wrong with the celebration. I think there are two factors that are making it worse than it was. 1. He is no longer a Brewer and 2. He was considered to be a punk by some even before he left. It wasnt one picture on Facebook that lead people to say that. I dont know the guy and have no idea what he is like.

He did make his second error today. I have a tough time freaking out of over losing this guy when he will more than likely be a corner OFer and before this year his power number were nothing amazing. If he turns into Ryan Braun part two I will eat my words but i dont foresee that happening.

Something to keep in mind when the Braun/Lawrie comps are thrown around is that when Ryan was Brett's age he was splitting the year between Helena and West Virginia.

Lawrie may not have put up eye popping power numbers in the minors but he was also one of the youngest players in the league at each of his stops and still put up more than respective power numbers all along the way.

Lawrie will be an All-Star, probably sooner rather than later. If the Brewers can sign Marcum long term, and he pitches like he has this year...I'll have no problem with it. Otherwise, I'll be staring at him on Baseball Tonight with jealous eyes.

Something to keep in mind when the Braun/Lawrie comps are thrown around is that when Ryan was Brett's age he was splitting the year between Helena and West Virginia.

Lawrie may not have put up eye popping power numbers in the minors but he was also one of the youngest players in the league at each of his stops and still put up more than respective power numbers all along the way.

I am not saying he cant become the huge power guy, just looking at his overall numbers and he was an .800 OPS guys and then one year in the most hitter friendly league in MILB he jumps to 1.000 so I am somewhat skeptical that he is now a big time power hitter

"I am somewhat skeptical that he is now a big time power hitter"

I disagree. He's so young that every year means he's going to be adding a significant chunk of power. Is he a 30 HR guy now? Probably not, but he will be next year or the year after.

"I am somewhat skeptical that he is now a big time power hitter"

I disagree. He's so young that every year means he's going to be adding a significant chunk of power. Is he a 30 HR guy now? Probably not, but he will be next year or the year after.

Disagree all you want. This board is acting like it is a fact Lawrie is a sure-fire all-star who will hit 30 HR. He could be but he had an unsustainable BABIP this year in the most hitter friendly league. He could be a 30 HR guy and he could be an all-star, but we dont know that he WILL be and his numbers outside of this year dont scream 30 HR guy. Yes he was younger than guys at each level so he could develop but I think people forget how often prospects flop or even struggle after initial strong showings

It makes no sense to evaluate a trade in hindsight. You have to be able to assign some probabilities to how you think a prospect may pan out, compare that to what you got in return, then evaluate the trade based on that evaluation at the time.

This board is acting like it is a fact Lawrie is a sure-fire all-star who will hit 30 HR.

I don't think it's a fact, I just believe that he's going to be very good. Physically he reminds me of Dan Uggla, but he's probably going to hit for a higher AVG than Uggla. Rasmus/Lawrie/Escobar is a pretty nice young offensive core for Toronto. I know you can't believe any scouting report absolutely, but when pretty much all the reports agree it's hard for me to ignore. Plus, he's obviously bulked up & is already loads stronger; I actually disagree & think he could (*could*) be a 30-HR guy right now or next season with enough playing time.

Like I said, I really like Marcum & I doubt the Brewers are leading the division without him at this point. The starting staff is talented enough to go toe to toe with anyone when it's at full strength. It's just the approach to building a team I wonder about. Not that I'm disappointed with Marcum or not enjoying this team.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This board is acting like it is a fact Lawrie is a sure-fire all-star who will hit 30 HR.

I don't think it's a fact, I just believe that he's going to be very good. Physically he reminds me of Dan Uggla, but he's probably going to hit for a higher AVG than Uggla. Rasmus/Lawrie/Escobar is a pretty nice young offensive core for Toronto. I know you can't believe any scouting report absolutely, but when pretty much all the reports agree it's hard for me to ignore. Plus, he's obviously bulked up & is already loads stronger; I actually disagree & think he could (*could*) be a 30-HR guy right now or next season with enough playing time.

Like I said, I really like Marcum & I doubt the Brewers are leading the division without him at this point. The starting staff is talented enough to go toe to toe with anyone when it's at full strength. It's just the approach to building a team I wonder about. Not that I'm disappointed with Marcum or not enjoying this team.

I agree he COULD and probably will be good. My main is issue is when poster are acting like we gave up a for sure all-star. It is too hard to predict. Jason Heyward was supposed to be a star this year and he has done very little. I would love to still have Lawrie, although I do question how legitimate his power is but you are right he definitely is bigger. But if he doesnt become a 30 HR and sits more around 20-25 and has to move to a corner OF position did we lose a huge piece to the puzzle? I dont want to act like what he has done this year isn't impressive because it is, but there are certain things like past history, his AAA league being extremely hitter friendly, and a very high BABIP that makes me think his numbers are a little inflated this year. He could easily prove me wrong though.

When was the last time the Brewers traded a prospect who turned out to be a star? By my count Melvin has traded a prospect who turned out to be a star exactly once (Nelson Cruz) since he took over and I don't think it would be fair to criticize Melvin for trading Cruz given the state of the farm system & team at that time. The Sabathia guys have been Ok big leaguers to the point, the Linebrink guys have amounted to almost nothing, the verdict is still out on Grienke but the way things are going I am not sure there is a star in the group. Melvin seems to do a good job of selling high on prospects. I think Melvin has gotten burned exactly once in his history as a GM in Milwaukee; McClung for Balfour. You could maybe argue the Lee/Cruz trade for Cordero and company could be added to that list as well. Even then he picked up Cruz for next to nothing from OAK if I recall.

Manny Parra is basically the current version of JDLR. Parra has all the potential in the world but hasn't put it together and lprobably isn't in the Brewers plans going forward.

IMO Melvin has earned a reputation of being a very good trading GM; but when it comes to FA and extensions he has made a number of mistakes. The amount of talent he has brought in via trade has been tremendous and he has done an awesome job of finding diamonds in the rough but his free agency signing have left a lot to be desired outside of a couple signing.

But back to Lawrie, I think he will be a very good player; probably not a perennial all star but will get there every once in a while. He'll get to hit in quite a few hitter friendly ball parks too. Who knows where he will end up defensively.

It is cool to dream about Lawrie on the Brewers next year though. Still happy we got Marcum.

When was the last time the Brewers traded a prospect who turned out to be a star? By my count Melvin has traded a prospect who turned out to be a star exactly once (Nelson Cruz) since he took over and I don't think it would be fair to criticize Melvin for trading Cruz given the state of the farm system & team at that time. The Sabathia guys have been Ok big leaguers to the point, the Linebrink guys have amounted to almost nothing, the verdict is still out on Grienke but the way things are going I am not sure there is a star in the group. Melvin seems to do a good job of selling high on prospects. I think Melvin has gotten burned exactly once in his history as a GM in Milwaukee; McClung for Balfour. You could maybe argue the Lee/Cruz trade for Cordero and company could be added to that list as well. Even then he picked up Cruz for next to nothing from OAK if I recall.

I agree with the premise but to be fair DM has typically traded for prospects in his tenure here as opposed to trading them away. And when he has traded prospects, the other team has often had their pick of several players instead of Doug shipping off the ones he knows won't be stars.

I agree with the premise but to be fair DM has typically traded for prospects in his tenure here as opposed to trading them away. And when he has traded prospects, the other team has often had their pick of several players instead of Doug shipping off the ones he knows won't be stars.
What prospects have we traded for since DM became GM?

There was the trademark Melvin deal, in 03-04 offseason, if you recall 'The Richie Sexson Trade'. I think Overbay and Capuano could probably still have been considered prospects at that time, though they had seen some major league action. Other than that deal it's been smaller ones that I don't really remember well, since I don't follow the farm hard core... Carlos Villenueva? I'm sure there are others as well.

Archived