Brewer Fanatic

So Rickie Comes Back After the MiLB Season is Over...What Do You Do?

The title of the thread explains most of the question. Rickie Weeks comes back after the Minor League season is over in September and needs some sort of rehab assignment to get his timing back. How is he going to do it? What are his options?

The most likely option in my opinion is deal with it, throw him into the everyday lineup and hope he plays through it and we make the playoffs with him rounding into form. If I were RR, I think I would play him everyday, as long as his ankle can handle it. I also would take him out of the pressure packed leadoff spot or #5 hole and allow him to gradually work his way back and hopefully not affect the lineup too badly while he knocks the rust off. If I were RR, I'd bat him 7th in the order to relieve that pressure.

Assuming Rickie's return is after the MiLB season ends, what will RR do?

They would most likely just throw him right in there. It's kind of like with Hart. He did play in AAA for a short while, but they pretty much just threw him in there and let him play. Granted it'll be September so that's a different situation, but I just don't see them not playing him. I still think he'll get back in time to rehab in AAA.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Hart got hurt early in Spring Training, so he hadn't really seen much pitching since 2010. Rickie will have some rust, but he's had 469 PAs this season, so he should be able to shake it off pretty quickly. Throw him in the water and let him swim.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Depends how McGehee is doing. If he's still hitting, I may ease Weeks back by hitting him 6th or 7th for a couple games and see how he does. I don't think it will take him any more than that, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't miss a beat. Hart thinks he's a lead-off hitter for some reason, and his bat isn't making him a liar. So after a couple games, I would move Weeks back to the 5th spot.

Hart is streaky, but his bad is .750 OPS and his good is .900+ OPS. Casey's bad is .600 OPS and his good is .800+ OPS. Rickie and Hart should be somewhere in the 1, 2 or 5 spots. If one is 1 and one is 5 (with CF 2), then Casey should be 6.

Rickie may need a couple of games down in the order, but he should be moved back up pretty quickly.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

In 2008, Gallardo came back at the end of the season (after the MiLB season ended). I don't think he went out on a rehab assignment, but I believe the Brewers sent him to Arizona to play in simulated games. I'm positive that's what happened, though I'm sure it's much easier to simulate games for a pitcher then for a 2nd baseman.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Archived