Brewer Fanatic

Will 12 games over .500 be enough to win the division?

joshua502000

We would be right there at 87-75 but with the remaining schedule it would be dissappointing to play .500 baseball the rest of the way. Let's get off on a good foot and get 2 out of 3 in Houston. Hoston beat St.L 2 out of 3 on the road, they still had Pence and they just beat Cincy 2 out of 3 at home without him and our road woes are documented.

Kudos to the bottom of the lineup they have really picked it up.

27-23 the rest of the way and we're in great shape (I know 1 game at a time).

That'd be 87-75, and it would mean that we'd play .500 ball the rest of the way, and the Cardinals would need to go 30-21 (.588) to get to 88 wins. Right now, we're on pace for about 90 wins. The Cards would need to go 33-18 (.647) to get to 91 wins. Only the Red Sox (.624), Yankees (.615) and Phillies (.645) are over .588, and none are over .647. Note: this is to beat us out, not to tie us

Of course, we'd have to play .500 ball the rest of the way. Our schedule isn't that tough, but we do have nine more very important games against the Cards. If we are just able to split those 5/4 or 4/5, I think we have a really good shot. If we go .500 the rest of the way and take four of the nine against the Cards, they would have to go 25-17 (.595) in the rest of their games in order to beat us out. We also have 25 home games and 25 road games to go, so hopefully we'll learn how to play .500 ball on the road.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think we need to get to 90 to feel comfortable at this point. I think the Cardinals have one last run in them, and the fact that we play them 9 times leaves a lot of it in their/our own hands. Ideally though, we just can't afford to lose a lot of games to the "softer" teams on our schedule. We have 6 left against Houston and Chicago, we really need to win at least 7-8 of those. Win the series against the teams we should beat (I would throw Pitt in there as well) and then just don't bomb against the Cardinals and Phillies and we shoudl be in a great spot.

One game at a time though, it feels great right now but it can change in a hurry. We had a big lead in 2008 in late August and blew that one, just hoping nothing even remotely close to that happens this season.

As others have said, playing only .500 baseball the rest of the way would be a big disappointment. If Rickie & Gomez can come back strong in September I could see the Brewers being a very good team at just the right time to make that playoff push

Archived