Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-06 Brewers (Narveson) at Astros (Myers) - [Brewers win, 7-5]

1992casey
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing is perfect. Therefore, it follows that any replay system will itself be imperfect and will introduce its own type of error into the game. What's worse from a perception standpoint: getting the call wrong on the field or having replay and getting the call wrong anyway? Sooner or later replay will overrule a decision that was made correctly on the field. The call will be made, the replay will be viewed and a new call will be made. Then, after the game, or even during it, a new piece of evidence will come to light demonstrating that the umpire was indeed correct. Even though it will be rare, it will happen and that fact needs to be considered.
So we shouldn't institute replay because it will only correct 95% of wrong calls? That's like saying we shouldn't have amoxicillin because 5% of people may have diarrhea.

I understand the resistance to replay because it has never been used and it's not part of the tradition of the game, but it's been incorporated seamlessly and successfully in every other sport and improved them. It can easily be used in baseball in a similar fashion.

No, I didn't sya we shouldn't institute replay. But it WILL be imperfect and that needs to be considered. It is not a panacea for all that ails baseball officiating. In some cases it will create its own problems. We've already seen how replay has tended to make officials in football hesitant to make certain calls. If anything, that hesitatino would be much more of a problem in baseball than it is in football. I'm just saying it all needs to be thought through very carefully before just jumping in head first. I've yet to see any good solution to the problems inherent in using instant replay to review calls that are made on teh basepaths when there is continuing action elswhere on the field. Baseball has many more "can't unring the bell" situations than does football.

Terrible play by Axford, he probably should have just eaten it. Once again, T-Plush makes us throw up the T. Aaaaaaaahhhhh, gotta go!!
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Any batter movement can be scanned and interpreted these days within a couple of seconds. Its not a psychological evaluation for the machine to interpret a check swing at any point.

But what about a batter that never breaks his wrists, keeps that bat pointed bat at a 45 but his body spins around to avoid a pitch and the bat crosses the plate, which happens often. Its not called a strike but a computer might call it that way.

The computer would take into account trying to avoid a pitch as it has a precise location of the ball in relation to the player. These things are made to accept millions of variables, while an ump often forgets several. There are few physical variables that a computer could not be programmed with. I don't believe a computer would make the call any worse than an ump, who could just as easily make the wrong call as well.

Cards have 2 runs on 14 hits through 9. It'll be a fun night here when the Crew posts those kind of numbers, but I guess we'd grudgingly take it if the Crew got the win because the other team has simply terrible plate discipline.

Community Moderator

Our Cool Standings playoff odds have topped 60% for the first time this year. Baseball Prospectus has been running at 75% or so. Still lots of time for those to go up or down, especially with the Cardinals continuing to win games.

Both have the Brewers winning 89 games, but Cool Standings uses Pythagorean record which gives the Cardinals a boost.

Another nice thing is that the Brewers are now only 1 game behind Atlanta, so if the Cardinals get ridiculously hot the Wild Card remains a fallback.

Archived