Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-06 Brewers (Narveson) at Astros (Myers) - [Brewers win, 7-5]

1992casey
How do you miss that call?

another horrible throw by Prince.

How can a professional baseball player be so terrible at throwing a ball? I used to think Prince's inability to dig balls at first was his biggest weakness as a fielder but his throwing is even worse. Good think he hits a ton

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Betancourt doesn't stink against this pitcher. Single and double. Obviously, was the correct move so far. Its simply another example of when using career stats is overreaching.

Yuni now 3-3 but he could go 7-7 and many would think he shouldnt start. He has had a hot bat recently. There is no reason to talk about sitting him until he cools off

C'mon you guys. Embrace the fact that MLB is out to screw the Cards. Houston is just collateral damage.

It sure seems that way. I won't complain when the calls go our way, but I don't see how anyone can argue against expanded replay in baseball. That play wasn't even close in regular speed.

1) Because it makes the game more boring

2) Often times you cant tell on the replay anyways

3) You cant remove luck from sports no matter how much you try, bad calls are part of luck. I dont see how doing everything right but getting a bad call is any different than making a great pitch but having the batter serve up a cheap double down the line. Both cases bad luck, the best teams are always the most lucky. If you want a sport with no luck watch track.

C'mon you guys. Embrace the fact that MLB is out to screw the Cards. Houston is just collateral damage.

It sure seems that way. I won't complain when the calls go our way, but I don't see how anyone can argue against expanded replay in baseball. That play wasn't even close in regular speed.

1) Because it makes the game more boring

2) Often times you cant tell on the replay anyways

3) You cant remove luck from sports no matter how much you try, bad calls are part of luck. I dont see how doing everything right but getting a bad call is any different than making a great pitch but having the batter serve up a cheap double down the line. Both cases bad luck, the best teams are always the most lucky. If you want a sport with no luck watch track.

1) Boring is subjective. It makes the game more fair.

2) If the replay is inconclusive, then the call on the field stands.

3) A double is two bases no matter how it is hit, a bad call has the potential to be fixed.

1) Boring is subjective. It makes the game more fair.

2) If the replay is inconclusive, then the call on the field stands.

3) A double is two bases no matter how it is hit, a bad call has the potential to be fixed.

1) No it is not, the game is clearly more boring if the game play is replaced by the umps huddled under a camera or waiting for a guy in the booth to tell them what to do, have you ever watched a college football game. No matter what you do you will not make the game fair, if you want fair watch Track.

2) After 10 minutes

3) You could just say broken bat doubles down the line are now counted as outs, thats a way to fix that.

In that case I think the ump may have thought the runner may have been safe, but since the throw beat him and he was already picked off the defense gets the benefit of the doubt there.

1) No it is not, the game is clearly more boring if the game play is replaced by the umps huddled under a camera or waiting for a guy in the booth to tell them what to do, have you ever watched a college football game. No matter what you do you will not make the game fair, if you want fair watch Track.

2) After 10 minutes

3) You could just say broken bat doubles down the line are now counted as outs, thats a way to fix that.

In that case I think the ump may have thought the runner may have been safe, but since the throw beat him and he was already picked off the defense gets the benefit of the doubt there.

If the runner beats the tag then the runner is safe. I'm pretty sure that is in the rule book. Sure, if Prince was a better defender with a quicker arm he would have been out, but he's not. The runner beat the tag, I'm not sure how you can view it otherwise.

If you equate the umpires wasting time under a hood as making the game more boring, I can't argue with that. But consider that it takes just as much time for Brad Mills to walk on the field and argue with the umpire as it would to review a play. Honestly, I find it a lot more satisfying to watch a game where the correct calls are made, and in some cases the correct calls might make the score closer and the game less boring.

Why would you not want the umpires to make the correct call?

Baseball simply is not as amenable replay oversight, in mant cases, as are many other sports. The question isn't whether you want to get the calls right. Everybody wishes the world were perfect. It isn't. The question is whether institutiting replay will provide gains in accuracy that significanltly outwiegh both the cost of institutting replay and the introduction of other mistakes that will come with the replay process itself. In a lot of ways, the replay debate now is as much about the public relations aspect of simply introducing some sort of system as it is about making the game better. I'm not completely opposed to all further expansion of replay, but expansion, if it comes, should be incremental and narrowly focused.

Baseball simply is not as amenable replay oversight, in mant cases, as are many other sports. The question isn't whether you want to get the calls right. Everybody wishes the world were perfect. It isn't. The question is whether institutiting replay will provide gains in accuracy that significanltly outwiegh both the cost of institutting replay and the introduction of other mistakes that will come with the replay process itself. In a lot of ways, the replay debate now is as much about the public relations aspect of simply introducing some sort of system as it is about making the game better. I'm not completely opposed to all further expansion of replay, but expansion, if it comes, should be incremental and narrowly focused.
I don't want the world to be perfect. I just want an out to be called an out and a fair ball to be called fair. I'm curious what "other mistakes" will be introduced by instituting replay?

Archived