Brewer Fanatic

AP: La Russa complains about fans, forgets about starting pitcher

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

MILWAUKEE (AP)—Cardinals manager Tony La Russa told reporters after Thursday's 10-5 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers that Milwaukee fans distracted him into leaving newly acquired Edwin Jackson in the game "about 12 hitters too long."

"I'll tell you what, these fans are a bunch of idiots," La Russa said after the game. "It took a lot more time than I expected to educate them, and, as a consequence, I let (Jackson) face a few too many hitters. But the fans of Milwaukee are better for it, even though my team might have suffered a bit today. Well, at least the fans I could yell at behind the dugout are smarter... I don't know about those other morons in the stadium."

"Between the scoreboard, stealing signs, taking candy from babies and fans distracting the manager during the game, it's no wonder this team wins so many games at home," La Russa continued. "I've never seen anything like it in all my years as a manager. And I've been the best manager in baseball for the last quarter century."

"And you call Big Mac a cheater for 'roiding up?" La Russa said.

In a game that didn't go as expected, La Russa appeared agitated on a number of occasions during the game- most notably when Brewer third baseman Casey McGehee hit his sixth, seventh and eighth home runs of the year. The Cardinal overlord called McGehee's actions "unconscionable" and "bush", and challenged the player to "learn about the history of baseball. You don't do things like hit three home runs against the St. Louis Cardinals. Especially when you have hit as poorly as (McGehee) has all year."

La Russa also hinted that McGehee might be in for a bit of payback.

"He needs to be careful when he starts his car tonight. That's all I'm gonna say."

Approached after the game, McGehee wasn't too bothered by La Russa's comments.

"That's how Tony rolls," McGehee said. "We just have to keep playing our game and keep grinding things out. Besides, I took a cab to the game today."

La Russa did admit to his first ever mistake as a manger, saying he "might have been a bit distracted" during the bottom of the 7th, an inning that he spend on the phone with Milwaukee color man Bill Schroeder.

"Did I forget about Jackson in the bottom of the seventh?" La Russa asked aloud. "I might have, but (Jackson) understands how important it is that I educate the fans of Milwaukee, and the fans of America. It was only one game and it was only ten runs... but more than that, Brewer fans will have a better understanding of baseball now than they had before today. That's bigger than wins and losses."

"It was very cordial" La Russa said of the phone call with Schroeder. "As the keepers of baseball etiquette, we have a greater responsibility than any other team in baseball. Bill understands that now."

Asked if he'd change anything about today, La Russa thought for a minute. Then, in typical La Russa fashion...

"Yep, I'd have drilled that jerk McGehee after his second home run."

With today's win Milwaukee moves to 3.5 games ahead of the Cardinals in the NL Central.

-- End story --

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I read this after going through the IGT of the St. Louis Dispatch. After reading what those Cardinal fans were saying I wasn't sure if this was authentic or not. Their arrogance is shocking.

Oh, come on! They are the most knowledgeable fans in the game! They even applaud the opponent when they do something!

TLR MUST get a lifetime contract to manage the classies! If this is actually true, he can not go anywhere ever!

I hope you were joking. McGehee would never say "That's how Tony rolls."

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

TLR MUST get a lifetime contract to manage the classies! If this is actually true, he can not go anywhere ever!

I hope you were joking. McGehee would never say "That's how Tony rolls."

Based on everything that has been going on, short of TLR complaining that the pre-game meal gave Jackson the outing he had today, I figured it may be possible! But he still should get a lifetime contract anyway!

Is there any way that we can compile all of the AP stories that BSCR has written over the years into one spot? I always love reading these stories and it would be fun to look back at some of his past stories.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

IIAY, I think most of the stories I wrote before were on EZBoard, so they are gone forever. I did search the forum and found something from 2007, but I think the others are gone.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived