Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 8/2 -- Outstanding starts by FDLC and JJN

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

With Nelson's win against LumberKings, Timber Rattlers are finding recipe for success

by Jim Oskola, Appleton Post-Crescent staff writer

Photo gallery at the link as well, and a few of the shots are actually of Wisconsin players...

GRAND CHUTE — Strong pitching, errorless defense and timely hitting.

That's what the Timber Rattlers coaching staff wants to see from its players and Tuesday at Fox Cities Stadium, it got just that as Wisconsin defeated Clinton 2-1 at Time Warner Cable Field.

The path to the victory started on the mound with right-hander Jimmy Nelson continuing his strong second half of the season performance.

Nelson went seven innings, allowing four hits, two walks and one run, while striking out eight.

"I felt all right," said Nelson who was quick to credit the other eight guys out in the field. "We had some good defensive plays out there, too. Hoppy (Greg Hopkins) made some good plays. He's done it all year and so has Reggie (Keen) out there in center. Just overall, I was just trusting them and trying to get some ground balls and let them make me look good."

Nelson was being a bit modest. He needed only 85 pitches to work through seven innings, a very efficient effort in the eyes of Rattlers pitching coach Chris Hook.

"Jimmy is a sinker ball-type pitcher", Hook said. "He's had innings this year like that quality, 15 pitches or less. Lately, he's been striking out more guys. The slider is really coming on strong. That's exactly what we want out of our guys. Early count outs, get them in and out. Tonight, as hot as it was and as humid as it was, it really helped in the long run."

Nelson said getting ahead in the count is something he has been trying to do all season.

"Getting them to put the ball in play within three pitches is something they stress a lot," Nelson said. "That helps keep the tempo going and that helps to keep the team on their toes behind you."

Nelson's success since mid-June (5-1, 3.57 ERA) is due to his doing a couple of different things, according to Hook.

"Obviously, he's making big pitches when he needs to," Hook said. "That's what he had a hard time with early in the season. I think he's really getting comfortable in his delivery. He's out there focused. He can make a pitch. He doesn't have to worry about his delivery. There's a lot of things he's been working on over the course of the season."

Nelson's effort would have gone for naught if Jason Rogers hadn't delivered the only offense the Rattlers needed.

Rogers turned on the first pitch he saw from George Mieses in the sixth inning and drove it over the left-field wall on a night that the ball wasn't carrying well.

"I was thinking that if he throws me a first-pitch fastball, I'm swinging," Rogers said of his two-out home run. "But if he hangs that slow curveball, I'll swing at that, too. I got a good swing on it and it went out."

Rogers is proving to be a good clutch hitter. He's batting .333 (seven-for-21) with runners in scoring position with two outs.

"I'm trying not to be nervous," he said. "It's just get a good pitch that's up, not try to do too much and just put it in play."

The importance of this win over the LumberKings after Monday's come-from-behind extra-inning victory was not lost on Rogers.

"We needed that to get on a win streak," Rogers said. "We've been losing a lot of close games lately."

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Final: @DSL Brewers 2, DSL Athletics 1

DSL Brewers Bottom of the 8th

• Dionis Hinojosa singles on a line drive to second baseman Rodolfo Penalo.
  • Alejandro Mendoza out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Yordy Alejo to second baseman Rodolfo Penalo. Dionis Hinojosa to 2nd.
  • With Orlando Arcia batting, Dionis Hinojosa steals (27) 3rd base.
  • Yordy Alejo intentionally walks Orlando Arcia.
  • With Juan De Leon batting, Orlando Arcia steals (10) 2nd base.
  • Juan De Leon singles on a line drive to right fielder Jonesy Zarraga. Dionis Hinojosa scores. Orlando Arcia to 3rd.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Francisco Castillo replaces Juan De Leon.
  • Sthervin Matos lines into double play, shortstop Gabriel Santana to first baseman Wilman Martinez. Francisco Castillo doubled off 1st.

The A's kid appears in the Link Report the same day as his random Power 50 mention -- sweet!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Taylor Green went 0-4 for the second night in a row and should probably expect to find a plane ticket to Huntsville in his locker tomorrow. Listen, Taylor, we're about results around here--this kind of lack of performance just isn't going to cut it.

Huntsville??? I fully expect him to be cut outright. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived