Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' grassy-knollers are out..... [Update, reply #222: Molina suspended for five games]

StearnsFTW
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really had no idea it was against baseball rules to pitch Pujols inside.

Last night wasn't the worst lost of the year but it was one of the most infuriating. Not that we lost the way we did but because the Brewers let senile Tony of the hook. He hit a guy in a tie game with Prince Fielder coming up. I would have been furious if RR did that. It was just dumb and not even necessary.

I half hope that Wolf will come out and plunk Pujols and then get a warning so the Cards can't retailate. That is not RR's style but I think if you face Pujols with no one on the 1st I might consider it.

I think the Molina situation was a little overblown. He'll be lucky to get 3 games and he will just happen to drop his appeal when they are playing some crappy team like the Astros.

Didn't Morgan get hit in the late innings when the Classies pitched inside?

So that means that we can hit one of their guys and we will be even right Tony LaDrunkie?? Or is it different because it was Pujols and not some punk who doesn't play the game the right way like Pujols?

What a joke. I just watched his presser from last night and kudos to whoever it was that went after him Tony last night.

Normally I find baseball shenanigans to be funny and entertaining but watching that LaRussa interview made me furious. The man is clearly a delusional idiot. What he was saying made absolutely no sense and it was clear that he was frustrated that some lowly reporter from Milwaukee called him on his B.S. and he did not know what to say. Pujols, Holiday, and Berkman all need to take one in the ear flap today, screw the repercussions this team needs a taste of their own medicine.

Normally I find baseball shenanigans to be funny and entertaining but watching that LaRussa interview made me furious. The man is clearly a delusional idiot. What he was saying made absolutely no sense and it was clear that he was frustrated that some lowly reporter from Milwaukee called him on his B.S. and he did not know what to say. Pujols, Holiday, and Berkman all need to take one in the ear flap today, screw the repercussions this team needs a taste of their own medicine.
I really don't want to see any "retaliation" today. Winning is the best revenge. Should have won last night, we really need to win today if we're going to send any sort of message to the Cardinals and their hypocritical fans.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Typical LaRussa. I hope this gets some national play, especially his overreaction in the press conference.

I can't believe he's still so highly-regarded. Let's take a look at his body of work. Here are some interesting facts about our friend TLR:

--Loves to play mind games with opponents - complaining about lights, doctored balls, sign stealing;

--Believes that bean-balls are part of the game. It is unclear if this applies to Cardinal hitters.

--Has managed more admitted juicers than any other manager (Canseco, McRoid, Tejada, Giambi off the top of my head);

--Doesn't exactly run a zero-tolerance clubhouse. Had one player leave the team because of substance abuse issues (Spiezo), another die by driving drunk (Hancock) and another die with drugs in his system (Kile);

--Has a solid 2:1 WS title:DUI ratio

Should LaRussa ever make it to the HoF, and I think he will, I propose his plaque have two pictures - Dave Duncan and a syringe.

What a joke. I just watched his presser from last night and kudos to whoever it was that went after him Tony last night.

Apparently it was Greg Matzek at 620. He's going on with a sports radio station in St. Louis at 8:45 (I live in St. Louis and caught the promo on my way into work this morning). You can hear the interview here:

http://tunein.com/radio/Team-1380-s35381/

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way attempting to defend Molina's actions. He clearly overreacted and deserves to be fined and suspended.

However, Brian and Bill were talking like he's going to be suspended for 20 games, "He could be gone for a WHILE." I honestly don't think he intentionally spit on the ump, and while bumping him multiple times is incredibly stupid, I feel like the ump overreacted by throwing his head back when all that got bumped was his chest. I have no idea what the actual suspension will be, but I feel like 5-7games would be about right. The more the merrier, though.

...and then there is the complete other end of the spectrum. One of the Cardinals TV announcers claimed that Yadi was being pushed by the umpire first. Later in the clip, the radio announcers placed all the blame on the umpire saying, "Drake took the helmet off and started barking at Yadier. Then Yadier got right in his face." I usually don't have a problem with the local TV or radio crew being homers, but there has to be a limit.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17599219&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_17599219&v=3

Cardinals media is the absolute worse. I know people here don't like TH and the TV announce team at times. But they pale in comparison to the guys that work for the Cards and dudes who cover the team at the Post-Dispatch.

This gem had me laughing for a bit...

Even if its unintentional, you don't pitch that close to the best player

in the game, plus they had been pitching close the whole game which

proves that they had been working that area the whole time so yeah, you

hit us, we send a message. Plus Pujols could have reinjured himself.

You pitch to the best player in the game the same way you pitch to any other player in the game - wherever it takes to get them out. Missing with an inside pitch does not warrant retaliation. "Plus Pujols could have reinjured himself." Well, he could have reinjured himself washing his car. If the Cards are so worried about him getting hit, maybe they should tell him not to hang his oh-so-fragile wrist out over the plate all the time.

I really don't want to see any "retaliation" today. Winning is the best revenge. Should have won last night, we really need to win today if we're going to send any sort of message to the Cardinals and their hypocritical fans.
Since the Crew will still be in first no matter today's outcome I'll take retaliation over the win, especially if it includes the risk of one of those three getting hurt. And yes I am cheering for an injury. Nothing serious, but a couple of weeks with a broken whatever. The Cardinals and their players, fans, and coaches deserve that.

You can't throw at anybody today, that's an automatic suspension in a pennant race - exactly what LaRussa wants. RRR is smarter than Yost (admittedly a low standard). Now a hard slide? That's another story. It might be Rafael Furcal ligament day for those seated in the field level.

Let's just get up big and pose after some home runs today.

Recap from the Matzek interview on Cards radio

Cardinals radio guys are actually pretty balanced.

Said
- Cards radio guys agreed question was legit
- Tony's denial and rant made it seem like he thought everyone was not smart enough to see it was totally intentional.
- Most of the people in the room were Cards people and were silent so Matzek felt he needed to ask the question
- Cards radio guys aid that his denial is absurd and what is embarassing to the Cardinals

Then the audio stopped working, must be TLR cutting the feed or the Cardstapo looking out to make sure the keepers of the game are not being slandered.

and Braun watching his HRs
When's the last time he ever admired a homer? That one infamous strutting incident in his rookie or second year or whenever it was? I just don't get this whole idea that he is some cocky showboat. When he hits homers, he puts his head down and runs around the bases. He doesn't talk trash, he doesn't hot dog it in the field (not that he really has the defensive skills to hot dog it or anything, but you get my point). He seems very friendly. He never argues with umps and the most disgust he ever shows with a strike call is a little pause before he steps out of the batter's box.

He never argues with umps

You mean other than when he got tossed after that close play at first this year? Braun definitely has some cocky tendencies or at least the appearance of them. Many players do. The difference is they don't walk around talking all high and mighty about what others are doing/should be doing. It must be in TLR's book about how to get in the heads of the closest competition.

LaRussa is so stupid. He gets all sanctimonious about balls up and in when I can recall numerous times Cardinal pitchers throwing up and in to Brewer batters last night. Does the guys even believe the crap that comes out of his mouth? I think his comment of sending us a message by pitching in at Braun will earn him a suspension too.

After seeing the Molina play (which was a pretty horrible call), I'm going to side with Molina here. Really no reason to have called that a strike. Him bumping the ump though was probobly a no no.

As for the bean balls, ehhh its baseball. Stuff like that happens, part of the game.

After seeing the Molina play (which was a pretty horrible call), I'm going to side with Molina here. Really no reason to have called that a strike. Him bumping the ump though was probobly a no no.

As for the bean balls, ehhh its baseball. Stuff like that happens, part of the game.

Um. bean balls are part of the game, but bad ball/strike calls aren't? The strike zone was all over the place last night, Molina of all people should have known that.

and Braun watching his HRs
When's the last time he ever admired a homer? That one infamous strutting incident in his rookie or second year or whenever it was? I just don't get this whole idea that he is some cocky showboat. When he hits homers, he puts his head down and runs around the bases. He doesn't talk trash, he doesn't hot dog it in the field (not that he really has the defensive skills to hot dog it or anything, but you get my point). He seems very friendly. He never argues with umps and the most disgust he ever shows with a strike call is a little pause before he steps out of the batter's box.

I am with you! Just relaying what my buddy said. Kept harping on Prince's bowling pin thing and untucking and how unclassy that was. So against the rules of baseball! And how could Cecil Fielder let his son behave that way? I informed him that Prince and Cecil are not on positive terms because of Cecil's gambling and other issues. Very funny stuff. He also believes Saito intentionally hit St. Albert and when I brought up my laser conspiracy (that Bud delivers laser guided baseballs to MP only), he didn't like that too much!

Just a thought...

If the Cardinals are all about honoring the game and being classy, shouldn't Molina decline the right to appeal his suspension for blatently bumping an umpire?

Unless they're complete hypocrites, of course....

Um. bean balls are part of the game, but bad ball/strike calls aren't? The strike zone was all over the place last night, Molina of all people should have known that.

I couldnt watch the game (TV is broke), but Molina was probobly fed up with the inconsistent strike zone then and had to vent. Molina will absolutely face a suspension but probably only 3 games at most.

Honestly when I was reading the IGT last night it made Miller Park seem like a war zone or something with the bean balls and the arguing.

Archived