Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' grassy-knollers are out..... [Update, reply #222: Molina suspended for five games]

StearnsFTW
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Betencourt hit a line drive.

McGehee's single was a 2 hop double play ball that went through because the 2B was covering 2nd for the steal.

Lucroy hit a high chopper that would have been fielded cleanly had the Cardinals not been playing in.

Greinke bunted, and the Golden Boy first baseman told his catcher to throw to a base that didn't have a defender.

Hart weakly fisted an absolute MEATBALL hanging curve into center.

Morgan hit a deep fly ball (that did NOT reach the warning track on a fly) that just about any CF other than John Jay or Mark Kotsay would catch.

WHere's the conspiracy? There were 2 hard hit balls in that whole inning, surrounded by at least 2 defensive miscues, and poor positioning of the infielders.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGehee's single was a 2 hop double play ball that went through because the 2B was covering 2nd for the steal.

Lucroy hit a high chopper that would have been fielded cleanly had the Cardinals not been playing in.

Greinke bunted, and the Golden Boy first baseman told his catcher to throw to a base that didn't have a defender.

Morgan hit a deep fly ball (that did NOT reach the warning track on a fly) that just about any CF other than John Jay or Mark Kotsay would catch.

WHere's the conspiracy? There were 2 hard hit balls in that whole inning, surrounded by at least 2 defensive miscues, and poor positioning of the infielders.

And correct me if I'm wrong but there were only two hits with runners at 2nd base right? Hart and Morgan. Those are the only two where the Brewers could have stolen a sign...unless, of course, there is someone eating the Tuscan Spinach dip at TGI Friday's with binoculars and bat phone to the Brewer dugout.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And correct me if I'm wrong but there were only two hits with runners at 2nd base right? Hart and Morgan. Those are the only two where the Brewers could have stolen a sign...unless, of course, there is someone eating the Tuscan Spinach dip at TGI Friday's with binoculars and bat phone to the Brewer dugout.

The claim, which I think was started by the genius Micheal Kay is that they are stealing signs using binoculars from the outfield stands or the bullpen or the the new scoreboard has a secret infra-red camera that tracks catchers fingers and relays them through subliminal video inserts on the video display to the batter. (To be clear the Yankee announcers just said the Brewers were likely stealing signs, not exactly how they were doing it)

Its getting worse.....

"I don't know why we're talking about the Brewers being cheaters when there are bigger problems in the world. Like how Robin Yount has been molesting children for decades."

You knew me as Myday2001.

If it's as widely known throughout baseball that the Brewers are somehow sign stealing at home, one would think it would be pretty easy to change the signs up and put an end to the shenanigans immediately. From my past playing days, while on 2nd we'd always look to see if we could pick up the sequence of signs to possibly relay fastball/offspeed to hitters but frankly it was hardly useful. All it takes is for that sequence of relaying a sign to a hitter to get messed up once and the hitter never wants to bother with it again.

This is nothing new. Another Cardinal icon, Whitey Herzog, accused the Brewers of this back in the 70's. Apparently, he decided that the person in the chalet wore white gloves and would clap once for a fastball, twice for a curve, or something like that. The fact of the matter is that I think that I could have gotten a hit off of Carpenter's 70 MPH meatballs last night.

Well, they were right about one thing: the reason I went to their board is because it has been the best Cardinals' board (in my experience).

That thread is pretty painful though.

The guy who states as a fact that the Brewers are cheating must be posting from the loony bin.

Yeah; really the only logical explanation for us winning a lot of home games is stealing signs. I guess our heavy sign stealing equipment doesn't go on the road trips.

Most of the posters at least say it is a bunch oc crud; but there always has to be that guy. For a coach to even mention it or why it was even brough up is a bit weird.

That 5th inning had everything to do with Carp forgetting how to throw a curveball; not anything the Brewers may have "picked up"

Yeah, anyone watching that game could see that the heat caught up to Carp - for those not watching, he literally had sweat dripping off his hat. Guy was just fatigued and didn't have it.

I was half expecting some comments about heating/air conditioning today from Cards fans..........

I've never seen a baseball player sweating as bad as Carpenter was last night in that long 5th inning, that was crazy. It was running off the bill of his cap as if water was being poured on his head non-stop. His jersey top was pasted to his body by sweat. I can't see how it didn't impact his pitching.

I've never seen a baseball player sweating as bad as Carpenter was last night in that long 5th inning, that was crazy. It was running off the bill of his cap as if water was being poured on his head non-stop. His jersey top was pasted to his body by sweat. I can't see how it didn't impact his pitching.
Exactly, I was half expecting him to collapse from exhaustion. He had to lose a few lbs that inning - for those that didn't see the game, really not exaggerating this. If it was any other pitcher on any other team, you'd feel bad for the guy.

Well, they were right about one thing: the reason I went to their board is because it has been the best Cardinals' board (in my experience).

The guy who states as a fact that the Brewers are cheating must be posting from the loony bin.

Not only did he state it as fact, he stated that there is NO OTHER EXPLANATION for the Brewers home/road splits.

Not only did he state it as fact, he stated that there is NO OTHER EXPLANATION for the Brewers home/road splits.
Right. The guy is nuttier than squirrel poo.

If it's as widely known throughout baseball that the Brewers are somehow sign stealing at home, one would think it would be pretty easy to change the signs up and put an end to the shenanigans immediately. From my past playing days, while on 2nd we'd always look to see if we could pick up the sequence of signs to possibly relay fastball/offspeed to hitters but frankly it was hardly useful. All it takes is for that sequence of relaying a sign to a hitter to get messed up once and the hitter never wants to bother with it again.

Plus, I don't think knowing whether it is a fastball, change, curve, or whatever is that important if you make your pitches. Now pitch location is important. If you know a pitch is down and away before hand, it doesn't matter what the pitch is. But, if you know a fastball is coming, you still have to gauge if it's at the letters, down and away, on the hands etc. They are all different.

Did you not see how pwned you were by their statistical wizard who clearly demonstrated that any explanation other than cheating was impossible or at the very least outside of a single standard deviation. At least that was giving him benefit of the doubt on the thorough study and stack of evidence he used to show how silly you or the MGD guy was to deny it was anything but cheating. I think my junior high debates had better reasoning than that thread offers.

Did you not see how pwned you were by their statistical wizard who clearly demonstrated that any explanation other than cheating was impossible or at the very least outside of a single standard deviation. At least that was giving him benefit of the doubt on the thorough study and stack of evidence he used to show how silly you or the MGD guy was to deny it was anything but cheating. I think my junior high debates had better reasoning than that thread offers.

I didn't get into to any of the statistical debate......my eyes were bleeding by then.

I just really loved the guy that stated "The Brewers cheat". Period. No explanation, no nothing. Gotta love it.

Be careful guys, they now know of this threads existence. We don't want to accidentally reveal the location of our secret sign-stealing equipment. Anyone notice how big Prince's belly looks at home compared to on the road?
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I know a few Cards fans. They have a divine right to the Central every year and, if it is anybody else, something is afoot. It starts at the top; remeber how chippy they got with the Reds last year? They are the lords of what is right in baseball.

The light is green Tony.

According to their "Stat Expert", 2-5% is a statistical impossibility (that's the probability of the Brewers having that type of success at home if they are a 56%-58% true talent level team, adding 4% for home games).

I wonder what their explanation for the away record. The probability of the club's road record (21-35) occurring for a 56-58% team is about the same as the probability of the home record occurring.

Perhaps we should start looking for a better excuse than "we've sucked on the road" for sucking on the road...

Archived