Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' grassy-knollers are out..... [Update, reply #222: Molina suspended for five games]

StearnsFTW

Those articles make me so mad. Here is a quote from Carpenter from the first one,

"I watched the replay, and the catcher was setting his glove up high,'' Carpenter said. "There's no need for that when you're throwing 100 [mph]. It's not like I can hit. And he missed by three feet. It's not right. He's a big-league pitcher, he doesn't need to do that."

If he cant hit and does not want to be treated like a professional hitter he should just walk up there and strikeout on purpose. I am guessing he doesnt just groove pitches right down the middle when he faces a pitcher

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else see this from a St Louis columnist?

http://www.stltoday.com/s...0-a12e-001a4bcf6878.html

"* It was sickening to see David Freese in the dirt, temporarily removed from his senses, after being popped in the head by an errant pitch thrown by Florida's Clay Hensley on Thursday night. Freese suffered a mild concussion and a bruise. He was lucky. It could have been worse, much worse, tragically worse. I wonder if the fools in Milwaukee now understand why Cardinals manager Tony La Russa makes such a big deal over high pitches thrown above the shoulders, and into that dangerous area where awful things can happen to a vulnerable hitter."

When I read things like this article the only impression I draw is that it is extremely odd that someone is trying so hard to prove to me that he is stupid.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That clown with the Homer Simpson avatar is the best. He found that the

p-value for the Brewers' home record is 0.057. His interpretation?

There is a 94.3% chance that the Brewers are stealing signs at home. He

also said that this is the same as saying "There is a 5.7% chance that

this could have occurred simply as the result of variation."

Re: Garcia, I think Hawing made a very good educated guess about

anxiety disorder. It can be a really rough condition, and if he's

dealing with it, I hope the team helps him get it sorted out.

No, I'm sorry, but its been proved that the only reason that he can have such home/away splits is that he is cheating. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

cpebbles says:

Wow, only 20 Brewers fans here? Someone seriously needs to look

into this allegation. The team’s offensive home/road splits are

ridiculous, and there is other circumstantial evidence.

FYI, when I did this to rile up Brewers fans on my team’s message

board, I got a p value of 0.057 using only 100 games’ worth of data and

crediting Miller with the highest park factor (1.099) I could see

suggested, plus another 8% for the usual home advantage.

Now I suppose on this site I have to play it straight and admit that

this only suggests _something_ aside from the usual home and park

dynamics going on, and not that it’s direct proof of cheating, but what

is the most likely “something?”

Link

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

AP story about tonight's game. My two favorite parts:

Albert Pujols(notes) was 0 for 5 with no tough outs and missed a chance to end it in the ninth against LaTroy Hawkins(notes) (1-0), popping out to right with two on and two outs. ... Pujols declined to speak to reporters after the game.

Pujols is 5 for 39 (.128) with no homers and three RBIs against the

Brewers

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's not his fault. The Brewers have been headhunting all season... There is a lot of sarcasm in the Cardinals forums, but I believe the Yahoo who made that quip during the series at Miller Park was 100% serious.

Some dude on gateway redbirds is bragging about taunting Morgan and Braun out in the field last night. Says he heckled Morgan the entire game and Morgan gave him the "timeout" sign in the 9th inning. I am sure that "timeout" sign had nothing to do with the Brewer fans sitting in front of him. Don't think he quite gets it. But I am glad if he thinks Morgan was actually paying attention to him.

Brewers

This is absolutely nuts to me, even if it's only been 40 some odd plate appearances. Some of the Brewers relievers have made him look straight up silly the past couple games against him.

The Miller Park thing might hold more weight if the Cardinals could actually, you know, beat the Brewers in St. Louis. The Brewers are 20-11 there since 2008. I suppose they're stealing signs in Busch, too?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewers

This is absolutely nuts to me, even if it's only been 40 some odd plate appearances. Some of the Brewers relievers have made him look straight up silly the past couple games against him.

That's because we missed the memo Tony sent telling us how he likes to be pitched. How can we expect him to hit against us if we keep pitching him in a way Tony disapproves of? Milwaukee is really being stupid on this. Don't they know they are depriving us Brewer fans from seeing one of the all time greats play at his best?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

With the frequency in which players switch teams, wouldn't somebody blow the whistle on technology-based sign stealing right away?

For example, Wil Nieves was with the Brewers during this year. Then he got released and joined a different MLB club. If the Brewers had been using the scoreboard or whatever to signal signs to the hitters, wouldn't he know about it and say something?

If I was going to another cardinals game this year, I would strongly consider bringing big posters that say "Fastball!" "Curveball!" "Beanball!", and sitting right next to the visiting bullpen with a pair of binoculars. Of course, I'd probably get kicked out...

With the frequency in which players switch teams, wouldn't somebody blow the whistle on technology-based sign stealing right away?

For example, Wil Nieves was with the Brewers during this year. Then he got released and joined a different MLB club. If the Brewers had been using the scoreboard or whatever to signal signs to the hitters, wouldn't he know about it and say something?

The comments section brings up a lot of the points of how hard it would be to keep doing this for years and of course some venom thrown at ESPN for the article.

If I was going to another cardinals game this year, I would strongly consider bringing big posters that say "Fastball!" "Curveball!" "Beanball!", and sitting right next to the visiting bullpen with a pair of binoculars. Of course, I'd probably get kicked out...

My brother and I talked about seriously doing this the next time the Cards came to Miller Park in late August. It would be a hoot! I never understood sign stealing from the perspective that if you think a team is stealing your signs, simply change your signs like teams so often do! It is not that difficult of a concept. If your signs are being stolen, you are not trying hard enough to change them up to throw off the other team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If the Brewers are stealing signs, I'm pretty sure they weren't telling Wil Nieves. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived