Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals' grassy-knollers are out..... [Update, reply #222: Molina suspended for five games]

StearnsFTW
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Molina not in the Cards' lineup tonight. Could just be because he's due for a day off after playing yesterday (and playing poorly), but it's always possible he chooses to take the suspension now, sit out the 4 games of this Marlins series, and only miss 1 game against the Brewers.

EDIT: Yup, that's what he's doing. No appeal, so he'll be back in time for the final two games of next week's Brewers series.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I guess it depends on how long the appeal process takes. If it goes until Monday, they reduce it to 3-4 games, he still misses the entire Milwaukee series. This way he missse just one and the 4 in Florida (though they are playing well right now). For a catcher, missing 4 games in Florida in August maybe isn't such a bad thing anyway.

I need to explain what's wrong with La Russa/St. Louis to a bunch of non-Brewer, non-Cardinals fans. Is there an article or post that sums up the whole situation somewhere on here?
I always like this one.

If you are talking about this specific situation then maybe this one.

I was hoping to find something a little broader about the Cardinals being the classy police.

Molina said the right things in his statement, presumably because he said the wrong things Tuesday night after the game. I'm just glad he was able to play and stink up the joint yesterday.

Re: Garcia, I think Hawing made a very good educated guess about anxiety disorder. It can be a really rough condition, and if he's dealing with it, I hope the team helps him get it sorted out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe the Cards of afraid of losing Molina for the Brewer's series. LaRussa has gotten obsessed about the Crew.

If Molina appealed the suspension it might have taken a few days for the appeal to play out (I'm not sure how quickly they usually get to appeals). But if that happened - let's say the commish's office came down with a suspension (say 3 or 4 games) this weekend - then Molina could miss all of the Brewers' series.

This way he only misses one game against us. The Cards can live without him for the Marlins series.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But TLR seems to get obsessive about teams that are challenging him.

So I went over to that Cards board to see the thread about cheating and apparently they have statistically proven the Brewers cheat at home. Not only that but they are flummoxed as to why a stat site like Fangraphs hasn't picked up on the story and analyzed it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So I went over to that Cards board to see the thread about cheating and apparently they have statistically proven the Brewers cheat at home. Not only that but they are flummoxed as to why a stat site like Fangraphs hasn't picked up on the story and analyzed it.

Those are some bitter, bitter losers over there.

The Brewers paid off the ump.

SOmeone in 1973 accused the Brewers of stealing signs, so the current Brewers are obviously still doing it.

Yeesh. those guys need a reality check.

Reporter from seriussportsradio from that linked thread indicated it was Yadier Molina and Gerald Laird that fought....uncertain of the validity, but indication was that Laird called Molina a cheater.....PED's I am assuming......which would account for the rage

Reporter is named Craig Mish.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsp...laird-fought-last-night/

That clown with the Homer Simpson avatar is the best. He found that the p-value for the Brewers' home record is 0.057. His interpretation? There is a 94.3% chance that the Brewers are stealing signs at home. He also said that this is the same as saying "There is a 5.7% chance that this could have occurred simply as the result of variation.".

Fangraphs should pick it up just to show how ridiculous the claims are. If his p-value is accurate (actually I think it's high), we should see 1-2 teams every year have a home split like the Brewers.

In defense of 94.3% of the posters on Gateway Redbirds, I think he is just the resident clown, and his arguments have persuaded very few on that site.

That site is a great example of how 5% of a message board can ruin the discussion, and how great this message board is at keeping out the riff raff (I've just snuck under their radar).

Yeah, I think Funketown is right -- it seems like a pretty smart board overall. They also seem to have a pretty well-developed sense of absurdist humor; I think some of them find the sign-stealing thing amusing. Reading that board does make me grateful that the powers-that-be on this board encourage more substantial posts with complete sentences. Those guys seem to know each other well, but sometimes it reads like they're speaking in code.

David Freese just got beaned in the head. The Marlins will feel the wrath of Anthony LaRussa, Junior, God of Baseball Morality.

ilovebeer, where's the score update?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The knee jerk reaction is to sign up over there, call them a bunch of jerks, and ask them how in the world can they come up with a mathematical equation for cheating.

In the end though, it's like everything else. Once you've convinced your self of a conclusion, no amount of reasonable discussion is going to sway someone.

There's a minority over there that's convinced the Brewers are paying off umps, stealing signs, among other trangressions, and they'll take that with them to the grave, I'm sure.

I'm done reading that nonsense. That clown with the Homer avatar makes me remember why Brewerfan is a better forum.

David Freese just got beaned in the head. The Marlins will feel the wrath of Anthony LaRussa, Junior, God of Baseball Morality.

Holliday got hit up and in 2 batters earlier...then Freese gets beaned. It was with the bases loaded, so not intentional, but was ugly. My guess is TLR doesn't throw at anyone right away, it's only the 3rd, but I'd bet he makes a point of lecturing reporters on why he was right after the game. In his mind this will prove his point about pitching up and in.

It's been touched on a bit in this thread, but I'm really starting to think the LaRussa's playing headgames. Having Motte bean Braun and then stare him down was a situation where he may have just been praying that Braun would lose his cool charge the mound. He'd gladly lose Motte to suspension if he can somehow take out our best player, knowing that the suspension would likely take him out of the series at Busch. And Molina would probably be appealing this suspension if it meant he would miss less games against the teams ahead of them in the standings.
Gruber Lawffices

Archived