Brewer Fanatic

This is why the Brewers Make the Playoffs

Bombers

If you are interested in posting/seeing why the Brewers will not make the playoffs, please see any of the million other threads related to how the Brewers apparently are not "going" for it. (Yuni B thread, RRR thread, Disappointed in deadline moves, .... as my 2 year old son says "blah blah blah" (I am definitely not trying to call anyone out on here, as I am the author of the "Greinke - Please someone talk me off the ledge!!" thread) ... But I would like a positive thread. Especially after seeing our beloved Brewers play some great ball as of late, and are heading into a monster series today. Here are a few of my reasons:

1. Pitching - Both Front end and Back end. We have a ridiculous staff. I don't remember the crew ever having a complete staff that is capable of greatness. What inning is the best inning for opposing teams to try and score off of us? Maybe the 1st inning as everyone says get to starters early. Maybe the 6th and 7th inning? And I do say maybe as Hawkins and Saito seem to be handling the 7th inning duties rather well. (If our starters even allow them into the game) 8th and 9th are off limits, as I really don't expect many opposing runs in those innings. If this staff performs well the next 2 months, we could go something like 35-18 for a .660 winning percentage the rest of the way. (finishing with 95 wins)

2. Braun and Fielder - how often do teams boast having two guys in the top 5 for MVP? These two are having great years, if they both finish strong, watch out NL.

3. Overall hitting - we definitely don't have problems scoring runs. This is a very tough group to shut out and any opposing teams fan always tell me they hate pitching against us. Even though we know the weaknesses of our lineup, many other teams do not get excited about facing us. Especially when Weeks gets back, our lineup is pretty stacked. (Hart, T-Plush, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Harriston, Yuni, Lucroy (And our bench will be even better then it was pre-Rickies injury.)

All-in all, I am stoked for the remainder of the year!! Go Crew!!!!

I think the pitching is key. Now that Greinke has turned it around - or at least his ERA is starting to match his other stats - and Gallardo has settled in more our rotation looks really good. K-Rod has shored up our bullpen a ton. If our starters get 7 I feel great. If they get 6 I still feel good with Saito and Hawkins. I am sure our starters are going to have some bad games coming down the stretch and Axe may actually blow a save here and there but I love feeling like a bad start is a surprise as opposed to past years where a good start surprised me.

I really hope Rickie can make it back closer to 4 or 5 weeks. Down the stretch I like that lineup a lot more. I know Yuni and Casey are not good but we actually have a catcher who can hit now, 2 MVP candidates, another all-star, Hart who has been pretty good overall, Morgan, and then Lopez and Hairston on the bench.

I think our rotation is easily the best in the Central. I would take our top three over Jackson, Carpenter and Garcia. Our fielding is what scares me, but I really like having a pitching staff that can win games.

Since Greinke and Marcum were added to the team, I've felt it's the Brewers' division to lose.

The rotation should prevent any extended losing streaks.

They are nearly unbeatable at home.

They've had a winning record every month, despite a brutal June schedule, and pretty tough April-May schedule.

They are done playing the Giants, DBacks, Braves.

Only 4 games left with the Phillies.

Many of their remaining games are against teams currently under .500.

We'll see how the 9 games go, but they are in a decent position to run away with the division.

Actually this team has a lot of problems scoring runs, particularly on the road. Everything else I agree with though.

This. The Brewers have been shut out at least 10 times and without looking, probably scored 2 or fewer in maybe 20-25 games. However, with the way the pitching has been lately, 2 may be enough. So i agree that pitching will be the reason the Brewers make the playoffs.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't think anybody will argue me on this (well, maybe not, this is BF.net, the home of arguing for argument sake, it seems) but I'm really looking forward to that series with the Phillies. It should be a real good gauge of how we may be able to hold out against them in the playoffs if we have to face them. I felt the same way when we played the Red Sox and the Yankees. I'm hoping for better results this time, of course. And I know that literally anything can happen in the post-season.

If the Brewers keep playing their home games the same as they have all year and can just play near .500 on the road, they're in the playoffs. (boy, that's an obvious Bill Schroederian comment if I ever saw one.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Great timing for this thread, because I was just thinking about this over the weekend. I'll add a reason the rest of you wouldn't have cause to contribute.

Over 11 seasons of 20-pack ticket holding in section 417, we've gotten to know many of the terrace-level ushers and guest relations staff (after all, in the early 2000s there weren't many people sitting upstairs, much less regularly sitting upstairs). One employee in particular watched many a Brewers rally with me from the 417/418/419 landing (ok, that was more in the latter 2000s).

He and his family moved out of state during the 2009 season, about the time the Brewers lost their slight grip on first place and began a season and half of relative suck.

They moved back to Wisconsin two weeks ago, and he's back at MP. Playoffs.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Great thread, Bombers. I am with you, I am all in.

I can't put my finger on it, but I believe they make the playoffs. I live in PA, and can't (read: don't) want to think about all the money I've spent over the years on the MLB package to follow the Brewers, but I feel a real sense of optimism with this group that I haven't in awhile.

Sweep the Cardinals here and things are looking very good, but I'll be happy with two out of three. I think that if they win all the home divisional series and avoid getting swept on the road, they'll coast. I know, easier said than done, but they are off to a good start.

We'll see how the 9 games go, but they are in a decent position to run away with the division.
I hope you are right, joepepsi. I would rather the Brewers avoid barely making the playoffs like in '08. I would love to see them coast into the division title with season to spare, so they can rest certain members of their rotation if need be. Going into the divsion series with a well rested pitching staff would be huge boon, I think.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hope you are right, joepepsi. I would rather the Brewers avoid barely making the playoffs like in '08. I would love to see them coast into the division title with season to spare, so they can rest certain members of their rotation if need be. Going into the divsion series with a well rested pitching staff would be huge boon, I think.

I can't take another down to the wire finish, but I'm afraid that's what it's going to be. It's looking less and less like the Brewers and Pirates will be duking it out for the division title in late September though.

Archived