Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-01 Cardinals (Carpenter) at Brewers (Greinke) -- [Brewers win, 6-2]

1992casey
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it worked. I have to give RR some credit, as lately it does seem like his hunches have been working out. Even Counsell getting the start at 3rd yesterday for defense, then he makes that huge play starting the DP on the Myers bunt. Now Hawkins allows him to rest K-Rod and others.

Greinke is one of those pitchers who proves that BABIP and K/BB aren't relevant peripheral stats to judge every pitcher based on. He's should be judged based on ERA/RA, and that's it. He refuses to risk walking even dangerous hitters after he's down in counts. It would behoove him to nibble and pitch backwards. Then he wouldn't be so predictable, and allow good hitters to get their timing right, and hammer the baseball.
I'm pretty sure Greinke is showing that they are completely relevant. 5 straight quality starts, 6 ER and 40 K. The results (ERA/RA) are finally starting to reflect what the peripherals have been showing all year.
That wouldn't disprove my point at all. Like I said, he should be judged based on whatever his ERA/RA is at the time. If after tonight he has a 4.40 ERA, that's indicative of what he's deserved to be. His high BABIP doesn't mean he's deserved closer to a ERA in the high 3's. This is the 7th straight season he has a BABIP above MLB average. That's a product of pounding the plate. If he can have a good ERA this season with that style, then great. But fact is he didn't get unlucky to do even better because of a high BABIP.

So RRR sees JHJ as a defensive backup for Lopez but not Yuni or Casey...oh boy
I was trying to talk myself off a ledge by saying that Lopez will probably hit himself out of the starting lineup anyway... then I remembered Kotsay has a .242/.298/.319/.617 but RR is telling people that he's starting him in CF for his bat.

If after tonight he has a 4.40 ERA, that's indicative of what he's deserved to be.

Well, that was easy!

Well, it worked. I have to give RR some credit, as lately it does seem like his hunches have been working out. Even Counsell getting the start at 3rd yesterday for defense, then he makes that huge play starting the DP on the Myers bunt. Now Hawkins allows him to rest K-Rod and others.

Of course, he could have used Dillard for multiple innings, since he pitches once an eon at the moment.

Greinke is one of those pitchers who proves that BABIP and K/BB aren't relevant peripheral stats to judge every pitcher based on. He's should be judged based on ERA/RA, and that's it. He refuses to risk walking even dangerous hitters after he's down in counts. It would behoove him to nibble and pitch backwards. Then he wouldn't be so predictable, and allow good hitters to get their timing right, and hammer the baseball.
I'm pretty sure Greinke is showing that they are completely relevant. 5 straight quality starts, 6 ER and 40 K. The results (ERA/RA) are finally starting to reflect what the peripherals have been showing all year.
That wouldn't disprove my point at all. Like I said, he should be judged based on whatever his ERA/RA is at the time. If after tonight he has a 4.40 ERA, that's indicative of what he's deserved to be. His high BABIP doesn't mean he's deserved closer to a ERA in the high 3's. This is the 7th straight season he has a BABIP above MLB average. That's a product of pounding the plate. If he can have a good ERA this season with that style, then great. But fact is he didn't get unlucky to do even better because of a high BABIP.
One of many, many examples would be the Plush drop during his start vs the Yankees. That allowed a few earned runs that had nothing to do with Zach, defense does have an impact on ERA.

Of course, he could have used Dillard for multiple innings, since he pitches once an eon at the moment.

He gets pitched so often, I totally forgot about him. And actually Estrada doesn't throw much any more either, but I guess that's a good problem to have as it means your SP are getting deep pretty consistently.

So RRR sees JHJ as a defensive backup for Lopez but not Yuni or Casey...oh boy
I was trying to talk myself off a ledge by saying that Lopez will probably hit himself out of the starting lineup anyway... then I remembered Kotsay has a .242/.298/.319/.617 but RR is telling people that he's starting him in CF for his bat.
What do you want him to say? He's starting in CF because of his solid defense? RR isn't an idiot. Kotsay may be needed by the end of the season. You stash him on the bench for the entire season and he'll be awful when you actually might need him. If people ask why he's starting, what do you want him to say?

What do you want him to say? He's starting in CF because of his solid defense? RR isn't an idiot. Kotsay may be needed by the end of the season. You stash him on the bench for the entire season and he'll be awful when you actually might need him. If people ask why he's starting, what do you want him to say?
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree here.

Archived