Brewer Fanatic

LOOGY August Trade / Waiver Candidates?

Any lefty relievers out their with high salaries a team would be willing to dump?

MLBTR said that Melvin inquired on all good loogies but didn't find a match so I have to believe he will be aggressive finding one in the next couple of weeks.

Could Thornton of the White Sox or Breslow from the A's still be a match?

I am not sure anyone knows really well at least 100%. I have heard that the player has to pass through the league that they are in first and then it goes by record after that for the next league. So if someone from the AL went through waivers they would first have to pass through waivers through every AL team and then an NL team would be able to select them. This is where I get lost in it some say it goes by the current record of the clubs and some say that it is the record from the previous year. I have no idea how the waiver wire deals work and some GM's are uncertain on it also along with the so called experts.

But the rules in terms of how to acquire the player are: The team may retract the player, trade the player, or let the claiming team take on the contract. I believe this is how Rios was acquired by the White Sox.

Doug will probably claim a favorite LH reliever at a time until they clear. After a few go through, he'll try and deal. More teams will be out of the race in a week or three as well.

With KRod and Axford in the 8th/9th, there isn't a ton of incentive, unless some LH's hit homers at some point.

Thornton isn't really a loogy. He's a power guy who's equally effective vs RHB. He's also owed $5.5 million in each of next two seasons. His numbers this year aren't great but a he was snake bit early on as a closer giving up a lot of bloop hits, and bleeders through the infield and that got to him mentally a bit. Picking him up might be a move not just for this year.

Ohman is more a pure loogy. He surrendered 6 runs in his first two outings of the year and since has been pretty solid.

Either guy has value if they can get through waivers.

My sleeper is Tim Byrdak from the Mets. He's been pretty solid this year and in a series vs. Cincy last week he was brought in twice to face Jay Bruce with men on base and he fanned him both times.

Other LOOGY-types who may be available/have some value:

-Mike Gonzalez

-Mark Hendrickson

-Trever Miller

-Tim Byrdak

-John Grabow

-Brian Fuentes

Of that group, I like Byrdak or Gonzalez. I'm not a big Grabow fan. Gonzalez' ERA is high, but his lefty/lefty splits are still good and that's in the AL East.

Any chance of Stetter or Parra getting back by late August?

I really like Loe/Hawkins/Saito in the 6th-7th with KROD in the 8th and Ax in the 9th. I can care less about getting a lefty in the pen. We have a very strong bullpen as is and I trust these guys can handle these innings against righties or lefties.

If you can get a good loogy really cheap, fine. But I contend this bullpen is already a major team strength and don't see any reason to give up much for a loogy.

http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/1689/arthur-rhodes

Arthur Rhodes to be DFAed by the Rangers. With our current bullpen situation, every southpaw that becomes available probably at least deserves to be mentioned. He has has recent success posting strong ERA's and K rates the past 3 seasons prior to this one. He would likely be very cheap and more useful to the Brewers than Tim Dillard at this point. The walks are up this season verse lefties, which may account for the higer ERA. Could be a cheap, interesting option. The age makes the decline potentially legitimate and a little more risky. Seems like a low risk-medium reward situation to me.

Ray King has to be around somewhere.

Awesome.

Ray's only 37. I think if he had kept himself in better shape he might still be playing.

I agree. I feel like he is a classic candidate that we hear from in about a year or so, when he comes out and says he's working out again and "in the best shape of his life" and ready to make a comeback. And hes lefthanded, so he will probably get a shot.

Archived