Brewer Fanatic

August Prediction Thread

pebadger
Pitching will click on all cylinders, the influx of veteran grit from Hairston will add at least 7 more road wins this month. A completely unrealistic and optimistic 22-6.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think 16 wins is a pretty safe bet.

They play 6 against awful teams (CHI & HOU), 7 against a team they normally destroy (PIT), 7 against pretty beatable teams (LAD, NYM), and 8 against a good Cards team. If they go 4-2 against the crap, 4-3 against Pit, 4-3 against LAD/NYM, and 4-4 against STL that leaves them at 16-12. If they are 15 games over .500 heading into September I have to believe we will be in 1st place by 3+ games.

The worst I can see them doing is 13-15 and the best is maybe 18-10. Either way the Crew is going to be right there with a month to go.

Cards (1-2)

@Astros (2-1)

@Cards (0-3)

Pirates (1-2)

Dodgers (3-1)

@Mets (1-2)

@Pirates (2-2)

Cubs (2-1)

Cards (1-1)

13-15

I'm guessing they're 2 to 3 games out with a September schedule that will allow them to cut into the Cardinals lead. How much?

I'm just seeing way too much love for the Pirates and I don't get it. I've seen a lot of 3-4/4-3 predictions and I honestly would be disappointed in anything less than 5-2. Sure they've played a little better this year but we've owned them for years. They are playing over their heads and I fully expect them to come back down to earth. I see a sweep at home and splitting at Pitt. It might be a little tougher to do without Weeks but if our great pitching continues, I think it will happen.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Cards 2-1

@Astros 2-1

@Cards 1-2

Pirates 2-1

Dodgers 2-2

@Mets 1-2

@Pirates 2-2

Cubs 2-1

Cards 1-1

15-13, based on their current road woes and offensive expectations sans Rickie. If they continue to have solid pitching and get solid contributions from JHJ and Lopez along with other guys who are scuffling (McGehee, Counsell, etc.) I could easily see 19-9.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

That's cherry picking of stats in a big way. The Pirates lost 5 of 6, but 3 of those 5 were in extra innings. One loss ended with one of the worst game-ending umpiring decisions in memory.

While facing 2 of the top 3 pitching staffs in the NL over those 6 games, the Pirates scored 23 runs. The Brewers scored only 24 in the same span against the two worst teams in the NL.

The winning streak is nice and all, but Milwaukee hasn't won anything yet and no matter what happened on the road trip I'm pretty sure the Pirates aren't shaking in their boots at the prospect of playing the Brewers.

Bump

Swept by the 5th place Cubs at home, but you're right, I'm pretty sure they aren't shaking in their boots at the prospect of playing 7 games home and road against the division-leading Brewers who they've gotten owned by the last few years, including this one.

• 2 weeks later...
at the halfway point in august now. a few spot-on predictions in this thread so far and a few predictions that are already almost wrong.

Did I miss the spot on predictions. I did not see anyone who had us at 11-2 at this point. I guess baldkins and young guns and even tigerbrew could be spot on

at the halfway point in august now. a few spot-on predictions in this thread so far and a few predictions that are already almost wrong.

Did I miss the spot on predictions. I did not see anyone who had us at 11-2 at this point. I guess baldkins and young guns and even tigerbrew could be spot on

i suppose i was referring more to the commentary rather than the numbers themselves. although 22-6 looks pretty realistic at this point.

Best record for a month is 18-3 (4/87) - tied by 6-1 for 10/91 if you count that.

Most wins I think is 20, 5 times, 20-7 (8/08 and 9/92), 20-7-1 (6/82), 20-8 (7/83) and 20-13 (8/83)

So for percentage, they'd have to win out for the best or go 9-1 to tie at 24-4.

For most wins, 6-4 would do it at 21-7.

Pitching will click on all cylinders, the influx of veteran grit from Hairston will add at least 7 more road wins this month. A completely unrealistic and optimistic 22-6.

21-5 so far today. Two games to play What an incredible month so far!

Baldkins prediction is looking pretty big game

I think most wins is a little bit better of a record. Not to diminish starting 18-3, but it is a lot easier to build up a crazy winning percentage in only 2/3 of a month.
Agreed. April 87 was fun but given that this gives us a lock (per BP and coolstandings) on division and it's over a full month this is the best month ever.

This is also the latest the Brewers have ever been .600 (tied with 1979).

I am amazed that my prediction is still possible, and we have to lose games to make it happen. I will be ok if I'm wrong though.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived