Brewer Fanatic

Disappointed in Brewers Deadline Moves

BadgerFan

Let me preface this by saying that I know the Brewers farm system is pretty bare, so it's not like they have a lot to give up, but seeing as how this has been deemed a "go for it" year I'm disappointed in the lack of moves by DM & Company.

I think we have the talent to win the NL Central with our current roster but look at the teams we'll face in the playoffs if we do. Philly? Loaded. Giants? Loaded. Braves? Very good. Texas Rangers (if we were to make it to the WS)? Extremely loaded. Those teams were all very good a couple weeks ago but made big moves to get even better.

I understand the idea to stand pat if the goal is to just get to the playoffs but if you want to (at the very least) win a playoff series, the Brewers needed to get greedy and figure out a way to get a Hunter Pence or Jose Reyes type player to bolster the lineup.

Ok...there's my rant. Let me get back to enjoying our team! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not necessarily disappointed in the moves, as much as I'm disappointed in the way I expect the roster to be utilized moving forward. The organization currently has all of the pieces available to have a pretty solid and complete team. However, I don't think Melvin has made the roster "idiot proof" enough, as is evidenced by Kotsay in CF and Counsell at 3B today.

The Brewers still have an hour until the deadline. I do not think they are done.
I hope not. With their stiffest competition, the classies, getting Jackson, Dotel, and Furcal, while giving up Rasmus, and they're apparently still in the mix for Heath Bell, there's a couple of spots that could and should be upgraded. Shortstop being primary, Third base next in line, and backup OF/bench. Granted JHJ can help with SS/3B and OF, but another guy wouldn't hurt. A big splash guy would be even better, but I don't know if that will happen. Ready to see what the next 45 minutes will bring! COME ON DOUG!!!!!!!

Obviously more could be done but I would at the very least be satisfied with the acquisitions of K-Rod, Lopez and Hairston.

Last I heard on Heath Bell was it was down to Yankees and Phillies and that SD wont trade him unless package was "astronomical."

I'm not disappointed considering what's out there and what our needs are. It is definitely a sellers market right now. I guess I'm more disappointed there isn't anyone available that I am even marginally interested in.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it to further mortgage the five year window of the team for a replacement level player at 3B or SS. If an upper level player were available and they didn't even check on it I'd be disappointed, but I'm not heartbroken we won't get Betemit, Carroll, Furcal, Barmes, or any of those guys. Are they upgrades? Probably, but are they worth top prospects? No, but that's what will be asked.

KRod, Lopez, and Harriston Jr. are good pieces to add. As we get into August and more teams realize they are hopelessly out, more players will become available at a lower cost. I think the CC trade has instilled a mentality that if we're in it, we want to go get the best player available at a position of need, but the best guy available at a need position isn't always worth what it costs to get him.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The additions are fine. There are a few subtractions that need to be made to improve the roster. A few of DPR's toys need to be taken away so he stops hurting himself and others.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My biggest problem is that this is arguably the best Brewers team in 20+ years (not really saying much) and as of right now I'd give them about a 2% chance to get past the first round of the playoffs (if indeed they win the division).

Call me greedy, but I'm not satisfied with a playoff appearance and first round exit. (Don't get me wrong, winning the division is by no means a lock.)

So...who should they exactly trade for? What specific players?

No way they can get stars at this and point given what is in the minors and how the Brewers need to build that back. I don't think it makes any sense to make the minors completely bare.

This team is not bad. Our starting pitching has been fantastic the past 3 weeks or so and Greinke seems to be Greinke. Yuni has been hitting in July (I know very small sample). I think we're in good shape when/if Yuni goes back to being Yuni and Casey struggles. I still think if Green isn't involved in the Mets deal he'll be up if Casey struggles and even Mat the Bat might get a shot at 3B.

I understand being frustrated with the moves other teams have made and we haven't, but we really can't and shouldn't IMO given where we are. What stud 3B is out there that we can get? Same thing for SS?

What stud 3B is out there that we can get? Same thing for SS?

Those positions are so bad right now that we don't need a stud to drastically improve them. Kotsay and Counsell need to be gone. Dillard needs to be sent out. McGehee should be a bench player or the small half of a 3B platoon with Green. It is more about getting rid of DPR's players who suck than actually needing to bring in stud players. Barmes for Yuni would be a pretty big upgrade at this point.

I blame Wang.

So...who should they exactly trade for? What specific players?
My wishlist:

Aramis Ramirez

Ryan Ludwick (get rid of Kotsay)

Michael Bourn

Clint Barmes (at least he's a helluva defender)

World Series contenders get greedy at the deadline. If you have 3 quality outfielders, you go out and get another.

I remember reading a post in the offseason when the Brewers made their moves for Zack and Marcum stating to remember those days when the trade deadline came around because that was their mid-season moves (larger ones) and instead of getting 1/2 year out of them, they would get two years.

I still stand by whoever made that comment and it rings true on a day like today.

I remember people saying we will upgrade SS at the deadline. Here we sit, stuck with Kotsay and YunE-6. Sitting with a 3B who management is wishing will improve and a pretty old bench player with rapidly declining skills. Worst of all we are stuck with a manager who thinks all 4 of those players will somehow contribute enough that they should get starts.

I blame Wang.

I am disapppointed we couldn´t swing a trade for Furcal or Barmes. I think that would have put our team over the top. Apparently the Brewers didn´t like what they saw in Furcal and Houston was asking for the moon.

At least we found someone in JHJ who can play SS on a part time basis (he´s probably too old to do it every day). Let´s just hope that Yuni continues to swing a hot bat for the rest of the season, because we can´t afford to go back to the black hole we had at SS earlier in the season.

We did upgrade at SS in Hairston.
You are right we did. How has he been so far as a starter?
Have you been watching the games lately? Betancourt has been red-hot at the plate. I don´t blame Ron at all for letting him play while he´s hitting everything hard.

Worst of all we are stuck with a manager who thinks all 4 of those players will somehow contribute enough that they should get starts.
You can't put this on RR - he has to play these guys and he can only play the guys on his roster. It's Melvin's job to give RR quality players.

That said, a number of quality players were available - Furcal was a PERFECT fit and not only did we pass, we let a division rival get him for a fringe prospect. Blows my mind that Melvin wouldn't do that..........

Bourne was all ready traded.
So we couldn't have traded for him prior to yesterday???

Pirates just got Ryan Ludwick for a PTBNL or cash. You're telling me the Brewers couldn't have gotten him for some random AA player or $500k???

Who would have thought that the Brewers would have gotten K-Rod? If that happened this afternoon instead of the night of the ASG, people would be going nuts right now. The fact of the matter is that there were no clear trade upgrades. You also have to consider that both McGehee and Betancourt have been hitting the ball well as of late. If they were mired in their doldrums, the odds of a trade would have been greater.

Archived