Brewer Fanatic

Michael Bourn to the Braves

http://danny-knobler.blog...s/entry/8590096/31010905

The Braves have acquired center fielder Michael Bourn from the Astros, sources confirmed to CBSSports.com Sunday morning.

After starting out looking for a big outfield bat (the Braves were one of the teams most interested in Carlos Beltran), the Braves shifted their focus some after putting two center fielders (Jordan Schafer, Nate McLouth) on the disabled list. Bourn, regarded by some as the fastest player in baseball, should help.

Bourn will be a free agent after the 2012 season....he's a Boras client so there's no way he re-signs with the Braves (too much bad blood between Schuerholtz & Boras)

Win for the Braves because they didn't have to give up any of their top pitching prospects or catching prospect Christian Bethancourt

Astros get Jordan Schafer and three pitching prospects: southpaw Brett Oberholtzer (#9 by Baseball America), Paul Clemens (#26) and Juan Abreu (#27)

But Barmes is still unavailable?
My thoughts exactly, but hopefully it is a situation where they don't want to trade him to the team they are currently playing. Maybe Barmes will stay in Milwaukee when the Astros leave? Similar to how we traded for Durham a few years ago and he went with the Brewers when they left town.

I don't get the Barmes love. Seems like he is regarded in some circles as the second coming.

Ah well, maybe it is just me.

He's starting caliber. That is ahuge upgrade over Yuni though not that much of a one over Harriston.

What a nice trade for the Braves. I've seen Schafer a lot this year, and while he's still young, he's a really mediocre player. On top of that they didn't give up any of their "untouchable" prospects...with the talent they have at the top of the system all of those pitchers they gave up are very expendable. He's exactly what Atlanta needs (Jason Heyward remembering how to hit the ball wouldn't hurt either)

I honestly don't think Yuni is going anywhere and I think all the evidence of how DM operates supports that idea. He's probably going to be the everyday SS for the rest of the season.

Good move for Atlanta, and good move for the Brewers for today.

Yeah I agree that Yunie is probably going to be our starting SS the rest of the way. Darn his little hot streak on the last road trip right before the deadline! That's probably what cemented it.

If we don't sweep the Astros today with their little league lineup...

But Barmes is still unavailable?

This was one of the most bizarre untouchables in recent memory. Why would you not make 32 year old Barmes available when you have Angel Sanchez at SS, Jose Altuve at 2B and Chris Johnson at 3B AND you're dealing players like Bourn and Pence?? Ed Wade must be related to Jim Hendry and Andy MacPhail.

Barmes had earlier stated he hoped to re-sign with the Astros in the off season. With all the holes they have to fill with youngsters elsewhere, the Astros are going to need a veteran or two, and they will be hard pressed to lure free agents there. If they dealt Barmes, they might lose the inside track to re-sign him.

Archived