Brewer Fanatic

Cards to Acquire Furcal

Bombers

I'm interested to see what the cards gave up. Seems like the dodgers must have been asking for quite a bit (at least more than everyone expected) which is why Melvin moved on to Lopez/hairston

Furcal's line over the past three seasons is .271/.336/.389/.725 and he's probably an average fielder at this point. He's obviously a pretty big upgrade over Theriot, but I don't think this makes a huge difference; perhaps he makes them a game better over 70 games. He probably won't have that much more of an impact than Hairston.

Furcal's line over the past three seasons is .271/.336/.389/.725 and he's probably an average fielder at this point. He's obviously a pretty big upgrade over Theriot, but I don't think this makes a huge difference; perhaps he makes them a game better over 70 games. He probably won't have that much more of an impact than Hairston.
I doubt it. He'll probably miss 2/3 of their remaining games. It's definitely a swing-for-the-fences type move, but I'm guessing it'll be a whiff.

Remember, this is the Cardinals training staff. The same staff that got a guy back from a fracture in 15 days. I'm half expecting Furcal to hit .400 with 15 HRs and stay completely healthy, just because it's the freaking Cards.

"One NL Central contender realized they have a terrible shortstop and did something about it.

The other did not."

This is cryptic. Furcal has been injured a lot and hitting poorly, but has name recognition. I honestly have no idea whether you're referring to the Brewers or the Cards as having upgraded their shortstop.

It's arguable that we did upgrade SS if Hairston actually gets some starts there.
Unfortunately, that is a huge "if"

Trying not to over-react this morning to Hairston sitting on the bench while Counsell, Lopez and Betancourt start

For what it's worth, from Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan yesterday (in 3 separate tweets), when news of the deal first came out:

Me: "How does Furcal look?" Scout: "You know that guy on Tales From the Crypt?" Defense in particular, he says, is grim. Injuries took toll.

At the trade deadline, you need moments of levity. And someone dropping a Crypt Keeper comp on an active major leaguer qualifies.

Two things: 1) The Crypt Keeper, though dead, ran a cool TV show. 2) I still think Furcal was good acquisition. Just not the player he was.

Though to be fair, a corpse would likely be an upgrade over Theriot or anyone else they were playing at short.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Remember, this is the Cardinals training staff. The same staff that got a guy back from a fracture in 15 days. I'm half expecting Furcal to hit .400 with 15 HRs and stay completely healthy, just because it's the freaking Cards.
this is pretty much spot-on what I told my wife yesterday.

The guy has been hurt and when he has played he's been pretty terrible. Now that he's "healthy" he'll magically be much better? With him joining the Cardinals and being in a pennant race, he probably will start playing more like the Furcal of old instead of continuing to hit .212 and playing average to sub-par defense (for him.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived