Brewer Fanatic

2011 September callups -- Latest: Mike Fiers' contract purchased

MVP2110
Even if you don't want to reward all the players with good years, I think Gamel is the most important, especially if you're planning on him being a part of the future.

Exactly. Who cares if Almonte and Boggs are upset with the Brewers. They can find another team to play AAA with. If Gamel is indeed part of the future, then we should care about his feelings toward the organization.

They were thinking more along the lines of Fiers, Gindl, and Peralta as guys who they would have to bring up along with Gamel. I don't know that Almonte or Boggs would have ever been considered.

Gamel maybe would provide the most power of any guys capable of pinch hitting; but it would be a major question mark if he would actually be able to succeed at it. RR sure as heck wouln't pinch hit Gamel with the game on the line thats for sure.

And that, to me, is a big problem. Roenicke seems to only judge people on what he's actually seen. Since Gamel struggled in 26 ABs this year, Roenicke would never use him, even though he would have the most talent (along with Green) of anyone on the bench.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gamel's like Green....so when you say "power threat," realize that they could be creations of the PCL. I'd expect both to be Cirillo or Overbay types with 15-25 hr power and .285+ batting avg, .350+ obp.

Both would be infinitely better than the current LH "power threat" that is Mark Kotsay.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The logic of the situation is pretty simple:

If Gamel is a lock to replace Prince, he is going to be one of your best minor league bats.

If he is one of your best minor league bats, you could use him to PH. At minimum, during September, but also during the playoffs.

If he is a lock to replace Prince, getting him more MLB experience can only help him for next year. When we should also expect to contend.

But instead, Gamel sits at home, while Green, Schafer, and Maldonado are called up. All three do deserve it, to be sure. Green fits a true need, so that is obvious. Maldonado ends up being the 3rd catcher, which has some merit. But Schafer, while deserving, ends up being the 3rd CF. If he was a righty, I can see him stealing some of GoGo's playing time, but as a lefty, he seems very superfluous. And all three were chosen over Gamel.

Therefore, the only conclusion that I can make is that Gamel is NOT a lock to replace Prince next year. He will be one candidate, but he really is going to have to earn it. The Brewers are NOT handing it to him.

My suspicion (as others have said), is that there is something else beyond his play holding him back. So far two managers have been down on the guy.

It doesn't seem like the other players are too fond of Gamel as well. I remember hearing they put his locker outside during spring training one year for being late. If he is the heir apparent to Prince, this definitely does not make sense. Melvin and Roenicke are pretty much saying Kotsay would have more value, whether its PHing this year, or first base next, than Gamel. I'm hoping they are just waiting to clinch before they announce a Prince extension, team friendly extension that is. Hypothetical, but if Prince is extended, where do you move Gamel to, or do you just trade him?

if Prince is extended, where do you move Gamel

To another team, hopefully for a good young SS prospect.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

At this point all Gamel will bring back is say Cedeno from the Pirates if they pick up his option. Maybe.
Based on what? I'm pretty sure he has more value than that.

Gamel is 26. Best case scenario is Darwin Barney, most likely is Justin Sellers. Best comp for Gamel at this point is Ross Gload or Dan Johnson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

At this point all Gamel will bring back is say Cedeno from the Pirates if they pick up his option. Maybe.

Gamel is 26. Best case scenario is Darwin Barney, most likely is Justin Sellers. Best comp for Gamel at this point is Ross Gload or Dan Johnson.

You are correct to state that Gamel wouldn't net a palatable return (thus he shouldn't be traded) but don't confuse actual value with perceived. Other teams would probably view him as just another overage possibly 4A player, but I'd hope you know differently as a die hard Brewers' fan.

You are correct to state that Gamel wouldn't net a palatable return (thus he shouldn't be traded) but don't confuse actual value with perceived. Other teams would probably view him as just another overage possibly 4A player, but I'd hope you know differently as a die hard Brewers' fan.

I would hope other GMs would look beyond age to value prospects. They should realize that good prospects can be blocked, and that doesn't diminish them as players. The thing that would make him less valueable (in my mind) would be the big question of why they would trade him when a spot has finally opened up on the Brewers' roster. That is the same question I have, as I think he should be the Brewers' starting 1B next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I would hope other GMs would look beyond age to value prospects. They should realize that good prospects can be blocked, and that doesn't diminish them as players.
As was reinforced during the whole Yuni bunting fiasco, should and will are separate matters.

I think he should be the Brewers' starting 1B next year.
As do I. It's pretty much now or never. You could pick up some insurance on the open market. However, that just may prove a waste of money that would have been better allocated to upgrade the ss position and bullpen.

Best comp for Gamel at this point is Ross Gload or Dan Johnson.

Or, you know, Lyle Overbay. I realize it's more fun to be sensationalistic about it, but come on.

No need to be dramatic. I just don't Gamel putting in the work and having the attention to detail that Overbay did that allowed him to continue to develop in his late twenties. Similar talents, but starkly different personalities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Fiers may just be up to throw sim games to Weeks, too. McCalvy mentioned the other day he asked about why they hadn't recalled Peralta or Fiers to do that.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If Fiers is on the roster, they must really think they needed him, as he didn't need to be added to the 40 after the season. He had a fabulous year, can't wait to see him pitch. He may be older, but his age should have an * next to it, as he missed years in colle because of injury. He has been cimpletely healthy with the Brewers, and his rate of rise has been astounding.

This is also the 1st Bruce Sied draft pick to play for the Brewers. It is impressive for Sied to already have a big leaguer. Sied has only made a few good selections, but this is definately a great one when considering the round and cheap signing bonus.

Tom Haudricourt wrote:
To prepare Weeks for that start, the Brewers called up right-hander Michael Fiers from Class AAA Nashville and had him throw some simulated at-bats to him. Fiers will remain with the Brewers for the rest of the season to provide an extra arm in the bullpen if needed.
The team wouldn't add a man to the 40-man roster if they didn't plan to suit him up for games.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived