Brewer Fanatic

2011 September callups -- Latest: Mike Fiers' contract purchased

MVP2110

[quote author=danzig6767 wrote:

[/b]

As for Braddock, is he still dealing with that sleep disorder?

A week or 2 ago they said he is done for the year. Better hope Narveson can pitch out of the bullpen.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JohnBriggs12]The Brewers have a number of guys that deserve a September call up, but not enough 40 man spots available. They need to make room for Gindl and Fiers. Fiers has allowed 80 hits in 121 IP between AA and AAA. Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous. Gindl at 22, has put up an .879 OPS at AAA. That is pretty darn impressive too.

Even though he's been solid at AAA, DiFelice's roster spot should go to a younger guy. I'm not sure where the other spot would come from (Rogers seems to be wasting one) but those guys have earned it.

As for playing time, who cares? Letting them get a taste of a championship season is a reward. Hopefully there will be 10 games or so at the end of the schedule that are meaningless. That's plenty of time to give them each some major league exposure while resting the starters.

I agree with you JB, but I really think the Brewers are big on the team chemistry thing. They think playing young players over vets will ruin team chemistry and they believe having a bunch of young guys clogging up the clubhouse would be bad for team chemistry.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Brewers have a number of guys that deserve a September call up, but not enough 40 man spots available. They need to make room for Gindl and Fiers. Fiers has allowed 80 hits in 121 IP between AA and AAA. Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous. Gindl at 22, has put up an .879 OPS at AAA. That is pretty darn impressive too.

Even though he's been solid at AAA, DiFelice's roster spot should go to a younger guy. I'm not sure where the other spot would come from (Rogers seems to be wasting one) but those guys have earned it.

As for playing time, who cares? Letting them get a taste of a championship season is a reward. Hopefully there will be 10 games or so at the end of the schedule that are meaningless. That's plenty of time to give them each some major league exposure while resting the starters.

I agree with you JB, but I really think the Brewers are big on the team chemistry thing. They think playing young players over vets will ruin team chemistry and they believe having a bunch of young guys clogging up the clubhouse would be bad for team chemistry.

You could be right that is what they are thinking but it is utter nonsense. What, the clubhouse isn't big enough? Modern clubhouses are huge. Somehow 8-10 rookies, all of whom were around in Maryvale, are going to upset team chemistry sitting on the bench or roaming the vast bullpen?

You have them there for the experience and only secondarily to play (except in rare instances) after the division is wrapped up and the Phillies are out of reach.

Who are they kidding? The only possible guy who's playing time would be affected (he'd move well down the list of PH with all those lefty bats) is Counsell. Counsell's entering the final month of his career and should be ecstatic he's still around. Maybe Wilson might feel a little uneasy knowing he'll likely not be kept on the roster in the winter, but he's already uneasy about that.

You could be right that is what they are thinking but it is utter nonsense.

Yes it is. I can't find the article I read a week or so ago of Roenicke's musings on the call-ups, but he didn't want too many people called up. He said something along the lines of "maybe a base-stealer, a defensive replacement" and I swear I remember him saying something that insinuated that having too many kids in the clubhouse could ruin the team chemistry. (Which is funny because Gamel is almost as old as many of the core guys on our team)

I agree with you that simply "being there" for a pennant race would be a good experience for some of our prospects, even if they don't play much. For guys like Green, he should be playing because he's a good option for 3B, and the extra bullpen arms could come in handy if we get into some extra-inning games.

We don't need to bring fifteen guys up, but for a team that has complained in the past about being at a disadvantage because other teams have more players available, it seems odd that we wouldn't give ourselves the advantage this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't see any reason to add anyone that isn't currently on the 40-man roster. We just don't really need that many guys sitting on the bench. Gamel, Dillard, Farris, McClendon, Scarpetta, Peralta, and maybe DiFelice are the only options I see. I highly doubt all of them will be called up though. Probably just Gamel and Dillard for sure, and I would think at least one other pitcher. Farris could possibly be added just as a pinch-runner, but we already have Schafer and Gomez and we don't really need another IF.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

While I think Fiers & Gindl are possibly rather big parts of the Brewers' future, I'd be at least a little surprised if they're called up since neither is on the 40-man. Kintzler's still on the 15-day DL rather than the 60-day, so moving him to the 60-day would open one spot, but I'm not seeing two yet.

Regarding guys on the 40-man, I'd think Gamel's a given to come up along with Dillard. The team has so many middle IFs that I don't see Farris getting the call. I like DiFelice a lot but that would surprise me a lot. McClendon's been good in the bigs before ('10 & this year) and again in AAA, so I'm surprised he's not been given more chances. I could see the logic of Peralta, also, if they wanted another pitcher.

but I would like to see Josh wilson DFA'd

I would've liked that for most of the season, but now all it would do is limit the number of players we have available for the playoff roster. If we were going to get rid of him, we would've done it prior to Aug 31.

~Bill Walsh

Farris would basically just be a PR, never mind his position. Eric would be wise to find a winter ball job somewhere and convince them he can play OF. As a utility guy with speed, a few teams may overlook his crappy OBP numbers.

Fiers has pitched brilliantly, but are a few low leverage innings worth putting him on the 40? That's one less player to protect this winter if they add Mike. It'd be different if they needed him to pick up a couple starts.

Gindl seems kind of repetitive with Green and Gamel, never mind Kotsay and Kottaras.

Only Dillard comes up. I would imagine that the only thing that could change would be JHJR being hurt worse then thought. Its to bad for Gamel, but where would he play?

Since the minor league season, it shouldn't matter. He can come up and sit on the bench. He should become the immediate power PH option. It would be stupid for the Brewers to not bring him up because there is no reason not to.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

They have to bring up a couple of arms just in case they have an extra innings game. Also, if they have nothing to play for the last week of the season, no reason for key starters to throw a lot of pitches. Limit the starters to 5IP the last week of the season - that way they get their regular work but still are fresh for the postseason.

Dillard, McClendon, Peralta; Gamel, Farris, and Weeks coming off the DL.

Per Tom Haudricourt:

Brewers summon only Dillard

So, no Mat Gamel or Wily Peralta or Michael Fiers or Eric Farris or anyone else.

"More is not always necessarily good," said manager Ron Roenicke. "When you're bringing up guys to play, it's different. But we're not bringing guys up to play. We're bring guys up to help win ball games."

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Gamel has been too big a part of this team for three years now for the Brewers to not bring him up. Once the Brewers clinch, they could give the kids a couple of days with a AAA pitcher starting and Green, Gamel, Maldanado, and Shafer all playing. That would also let them re-align their rotation. I don't got this at all.

Count me in as one who does not understand why Gamel is not up. This does not seem to bode well for him replacing Prince but maybe I am reading too much into this. But if not Game then who is playing 1B next year? Casey?

Yeah, I don't get why Gamel isn't coming up. Everyone else I could care less about, because they would serve no purpose. Maybe another pitcher. Gamel would be a solid pinch-hitting option with some power. I don't get why they wouldn't want him in that capacity. What makes even less sense is Roenicke's comment about it. How exactly does he think Dillard is going to help us win games? Help us lose games sure, or eat innings, but win games? C'mon Roenicke. Gamel would have a far better chance of helping us win games the rest of the way.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If I am Mat Gamel I am furious. If I were him I would call Melvin and ask "level with me, what do you envision for my future with the Brewers?" If he says anything but "we expect you to start next year for the Brewers" I am requesting a trade. There is no reason for him not to be promoted and they've screwed with this guy long enough.

There is no reason for him not to be promoted and they've screwed with this guy long enough.
This doesnt fully make sense to me. It is part Mat Gamel's fault that he is not in the bigs. If he could play a passable 3b he would be a big leaguer. Since he couldn't do that he is blocked by our 3 best bats or at least 3 of our 4 best bats. He could maybe move to corner OF and he could play 1B but there is no need right now. He could have been on the bench but I dont think he really got screwed.

He should have been promoted but outside of Macha never playing him Mat has bad circumstances and a bad arm to blame more than the Brewers management.

There is no reason for him not to be promoted and they've screwed with this guy long enough.
This doesnt fully make sense to me. It is part Mat Gamel's fault that he is not in the bigs. If he could play a passable 3b he would be a big leaguer. Since he couldn't do that he is blocked by our 3 best bats or at least 3 of our 4 best bats. He could maybe move to corner OF and he could play 1B but there is no need right now. He could have been on the bench but I dont think he really got screwed.

He should have been promoted but outside of Macha never playing him Mat has bad circumstances and a bad arm to blame more than the Brewers management.

Really? Yuni can't play SS but he's been in the bigs for years. Gamel got hurt (you might argue it was his fault for not staying in shape) in spring training and when he came back, Macha never played him. Maybe screwed is a little harsh but he really could've been on the team for the last 3 years, in at least some capacity. But the organization chose to give him consistent playing time since he was blocked.

If anything, it's really nobody's fault since guys were blocking him wherever he could conceivably play. But for you to act like it's his own fault (even partly) because he couldn't stick at 3rd and was blocked at 3 other positions is just asinine. By the time Gamel got healthy in 09, McGehee had a hold of the starting job. So even if he was good enough at 3rd, Macha probably wouldn't have played him since McGehee was there.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived