Brewer Fanatic

2011 September callups -- Latest: Mike Fiers' contract purchased

MVP2110
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I guess I always thought it was more for those teams out of the race rather than those vying for a playoff spot. (Granted its been rare for us to be in the playoffs contention...)

That way, teams like Houston and Chicago can call up prospects to:

1) Get a quick look at them before ST.

2) Attract more fans to see the new players.

And I'm guessing that since #2 effects money, that its the main reason.

Didn't put my $0.02 in yet. I think this year the Brewers will have fewer callups and they will focus on "need" versus a reward of a good minor league performance. My view of the needs are 5 to 6 more players:

3rd Catcher - Maldonado

PH with power - Gamel and/or Green

LH RP - Braddock (if healthy), Herrera, Flores, or Meadows/Merklinger

bCF / Pinch runner - Gomez (when healthy), or Gindl/Schafer

RH RP depth - DiFelice, and/or Kintzler, McClendon (if not traded), Peralta, Manzanillo

Meadows, Merklinger, Gindl, Schafer, Manzanillo, and Green are not on the 40 man yet, but will need to be protected from the rule 5 so they are possibilities.

In 2008, they had 37-39 guys up in late September, all except a guy or three who was hurt, and Hernan Iribarren, who was not brought up.

Can you imagine the outcry if they'd run out of pitchers in a 17 inning game, or position players and have to have Yo hit? They'll have plenty up...I'd say a minimum of Gomez, Weeks, 3rd C, Gamel, and 2-3 pitchers in case of blowout to save the regular guys...that would be 32 by itself. 35 or so after AAA ends, or more, would be my guess.

This is Cody Scarpetta's last option year, due to the odd circumstances of his signing. That means he's got to stick with the big club next year or be exposed to waivers...though he might not be ready for prime time, he does have a big arm and so he'd be a good flyer for a team short of pitching. For that reason I would guess that he'll be a September callup, and they'll take a serious look at him to get a sense of whether they could stash him in the bullpen next spring.

reporters covering the brewers have stated that the brewers seem confident that they'll be able to appeal for one more option year for cody scarpetta.

in a way, i am glad that the sounds are likely not playoff-bound. their season ends 5 september, and we can raid their roster then.

Could Peralta be a September Call up after his recent Nashville promotion?

I hope so. He could be a real wild card out of the pen. He's pitching great since being called up to AAA-Nashville.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

No they have to be on the 25 man unless they are coming back from injury or replacing an injured player.

So if say Green is called up September 1st and hit great off the bench, he couldn't be added to the playoff roster because he was added after August 31st? The only exception to that rule is if say McGehee got hurt middle of September and put on the DL, thus Green could replace Casey on the playoff roster even though he was called up in September? Sorry for asking, i just never paid attention to these rules.

As for Braddock, is he still dealing with that sleep disorder?

No they have to be on the 25 man unless they are coming back from injury or replacing an injured player.

So if say Green is called up September 1st and hit great off the bench, he couldn't be added to the playoff roster because he was added after August 31st? The only exception to that rule is if say McGehee got hurt middle of September and put on the DL, thus Green could replace Casey on the playoff roster even though he was called up in September? Sorry for asking, i just never paid attention to these rules.

correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Been saying this for two years - the Brewers are REALLY high on Schafer. One thing I hadn't noticed about Schafer before is his BB:K ratio. Excluding his first year his ratios have been 42:56, 4:6, and 39:46.

So Schafer takes the place of one of the PTBNLs on the 40... which one?

Been saying this for two years - the Brewers are REALLY high on Schafer. One thing I hadn't noticed about Schafer before is his BB:K ratio. Excluding his first year his ratios have been 42:56, 4:6, and 39:46.

So Schafer takes the place of one of the PTBNLs on the 40... which one?

My guess is McClendon.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'd like to see them kick the tires on Peralta out of the pen for the month. He's got the stuff that he could be that extra little weapon that develops quickly enough to be trusted towards the end of the bullpen for the playoffs.

Schafer's moved up pretty quickly this year. It will be interesting to see what their plans are for CF in the future, with Gomez and Morgan both "Brewers property" as well. Having a 3rd catcher is pretty important for this team as well, since Roenicke has no problem subbing in the backup mid-game.

I would have to imagine that Gamel will get called up, or else I'm really off on my belief that he's our starting 1B next year. Scarpetta is a good guess, since we need to see what he's got at the MLB level in case the 4th option isn't granted. The Brewers have stated that they aren't going to bring many players up, so maybe another pitcher in case they get in an extra inning game.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The move to promote Schafer puzzles me. With both Morgan and Gomez, and probably Hairston, ahead of him in centerfield, he's not going to get any starts. He's missed a ton of at-bats due to injuries over the past few years. I can't see him getting any playing time in the outfield and he'll be buried behind about 4 guys for pinch hitting duties. Why not let him just finish the season in Nashville and make up some of those at bats?

The Brewers have a number of guys that deserve a September call up, but not enough 40 man spots available. They need to make room for Gindl and Fiers. Fiers has allowed 80 hits in 121 IP between AA and AAA. Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous. Gindl at 22, has put up an .879 OPS at AAA. That is pretty darn impressive too.

Even though he's been solid at AAA, DiFelice's roster spot should go to a younger guy. I'm not sure where the other spot would come from (Rogers seems to be wasting one) but those guys have earned it.

As for playing time, who cares? Letting them get a taste of a championship season is a reward. Hopefully there will be 10 games or so at the end of the schedule that are meaningless. That's plenty of time to give them each some major league exposure while resting the starters.

Archived