Brewer Fanatic

2011 September callups -- Latest: Mike Fiers' contract purchased

MVP2110
So is it me or are we going to have a ton of infield depth in sept? Once Weeks comes back and with JHJ at SS will our bench have all of Green, Yuni, Counsell, Wilson, Farris, Lopez, & Gamel for bench. That could be really nice depth going forward. Or is there something I'm missing?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depending on how close to Aug 31st it is they could send Dillard down since he is unlikely to be on the post season roster anyway. Maybe he'd get to pitch again this season!
I don't think it matters if a player within the organization is on the major league 25-man roster on August 31 - even minor leaguers on 8/31 can play in the postseason.

I would like to see these additions for September:

Outfield:
Logan Schafer - defense
Brendan Katin - RH power off the bench, *if he can get healthy*
Brandon Boggs - switch hitter
Kentrail Davis - pinch running in case Gomez isn't ready by then, 30 SB/6 CS

Infield:
Taylor Green - need I say more
Mat Gamel - see above
Eric Farris - supposed "defensive whiz" good late inning replacement

Pitchers:
Santo Manzanillo - flamethrower, absolutely dominant at High-A and holding his own at AA
Marc DiFelice - owns right handed hitters
Frankie De La Cruz - been a solid starter, great fastball, could be long reliever or an effective middle reliever
Wily Peralta - could be a wild card out of the bullpen (or I wouldn't mind management resting him after a long season)
Michael Fiers - great numbers at AA and AAA this year
Zack Braddock - please get well soon!
Robert Wooten - has only had success out of the pen
Robert Hinton - probably not but would be nice to have a 2nd flamethrower

Not sure how many of these will actually happen. But it'd be nice to see some of these guys in the bigs helping for the playoff push.

Obviously, Weeks, Gomez, and Kintzler if they get healthy.

They only have a few spots on the 40, so many in the above post are not going to happen. Some of them do not have to be added his year even.

I would assume Gamel, Maldonado, 3 pitchers for blowouts(DiFelice, Peralta, Rivas?), maybe Farris, Herrera.

With the guys not on the 40; Green, Schafer, Gindl, de la Cruz, Meadows, Boggs, Rivera, and Almonte will get consideration, though I'm not sure how many non-roster guys can be added, probably just 3-4 at most.

Obvious adds to the 40 man and Sept callups would be Green being added to the 40 man and being called up in Sept as he will need to be protected from the rule 5 draft especially after this season. Gamel will also be up in Sept along with Maldonado (3rd catcher), Farris, and a few pitchers will also be called up not sure on who yet.

Even though Maldonado is on the 40 and might develop into a worthwhile 2nd catcher, I bet they instead bring up veteran Mike Rivera. He'll join Gamel, Green, Carrol, Peralta, and De La Cruz. Farris will likely be DFA'd to make room on the 40. Dan Meadows could figure in too.

Peralta is on the 40, and looks like he could blow people away in a relief role. He might be a better option for the post-season than Dillard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I would guess that we'll see 6 or7 guys tops. For whatever reason, the Brewers seem to be pretty tight about bringing these guys up the past few years. I'm not sure if it's because of the cost, or more likely that they don't want the distraction of having a clubhouse with like 40 guys in it (counting the injureds). I think Gamel/Fariss/ Boggs/Rivera, perhaps another 'speed guy', McClendon and perhaps another arm.

I would guess that we'll see 6 or7 guys tops. For whatever reason, the Brewers seem to be pretty tight about bringing these guys up the past few years. I'm not sure if it's because of the cost, or more likely that they don't want the distraction of having a clubhouse with like 40 guys in it (counting the injureds).

They limit the call-ups in the years they aren't in the race, but when they were in it a few years ago, they carried 39 players if I remember correctly. I'm guessing we carry a full roster this time too, as several call-ups may be better than the guys we presently have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

DiFelice is on the DL at Nashville, correct? I haven't seen him pitch in a while.

Obviously the health of DiFelice, Braddock, and Kintzler will determine if/when they get called up. My money is on Kintzler as being the guy the Mets wanted who they are taking their time with as he fits the profile of "has been in the majors & has had some success"; there is a possibility that could be McClendon but I think it is Kintzler because he has a higher ceiling and McClendon is healthy and pitching in Nashville so if he was the guy they would have taken him by now. If McClendon is not the PTBNL he will likely be up. I think they will keep Rogers rehabbing somewhere, so that may leave McClendon, Herrera, Rivas, Peralta, and Scarpetta as the only arms on the 40-man available to be called up. They will need some arms as insurance for extra innings games, so I'd say it's likely that Peralta and maybe even Scarpetta or Rivas get called up by default.

They have one 40-man spot available, likely reserved for Green. Farris will likely get called up for PR duties, especially with Gomez hurt. They'll need a 3rd catcher, and like X said I'm not convinced it isn't Rivera instead of Maldonado.

So I'm guessing Gamel, Green, Farris, one of Rivera/Maldonado for position players. For pitchers it's a crapshoot depending on health.

I've never heard of a team carrying 40, I think the '08 team had 37, and several guys had only 1-2 AB's in a month. 35 tops would be my guess.

They can move another guy or two to the 60 day DL if they need to add, unless they all return.

It seems to me like they bring up 8-10 guys every September, regardless of the situation.

the roster is now full at 40, so if we were in september, the likes of taylor green wouldn't be called up without releasing or outrighting another player (or transferring to/placing on the 60-day disabled list).

brandon kintzler might be a candidate to be transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a spot. one would hope that neither carlos gomez or rickie weeks would be transferred to the 60-day disabled list . . . we need them in september and beyond.

i could live with removing tim dillard from the roster. might even gamble on trying to outright mark rogers. risking losing one of our few available bullpen lefties (daniel ray herrera) might not be smart . . . but if zach braddock returns to form, then i'd be okay with outrighting herrera.

I never understood the purpose of the September call-ups. What is the reasoning behind having this? It is kind of an unusual concept that you can bring up additional players during the last month to help you get into the postseason, but these call-ups can't play in the postseason, right?

The minor league seasons ends before the major league season, so it's a way to let those guys keep playing for another month. You're right, though, it is a very odd concept.

I'd be in favor of expanding rosters from 25 to 27 all year, or having a taxi squad-type thing, and ditching the September call-up rule.

September call-ups serve four main purposes:

- rewarding for a good season those minor leaguers already close enough to the bigs;

- more players available for the manager to use (more options in general & esp. in case of injuries, greater depth, etc.);

- prospects get a chance to get their feet wet in the bigs, & teams get a look at some of their prospects against major league competition (as opposed to spring training, when so much of the early-spring or late-game competition is against players with little chance to be in the bigs); and,

- finally, it serves to give those call-ups exposure to & education about, so to speak, life in the big leagues -- and all the more so when the team keeps some of those guys on their bench in uniform in the playoffs even when they're not on the 25-man playoff roster.

Archived