Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Nats for Erik Komatsu; Brett Carroll DFAed

StearnsFTW

Hairston compares well to all but the top 4 FA SS's available this offseason. He'd probably need a solid reserve, as 110-120 games might be his ceiling of effectiveness, but I think he'll get pretty good money, $3M+ per. Since he can play 2B/SS/3B, and the OF, he'll have a lot of demand, as over half the teams will think he's a solid option at one position or another.

http://mlbmisfittoys.blog...ted-production-jose.html

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hairston compares well to all but the top 4 FA SS's available this offseason. He'd probably need a solid reserve, as 110-120 games might be his ceiling of effectiveness, but I think he'll get pretty good money, $3M+ per. Since he can play 2B/SS/3B, and the OF, he'll have a lot of demand, as over half the teams will think he's a solid option at one position or another.

http://mlbmisfittoys.blog...ted-production-jose.html

I agree. But you'd have to think with his success here along with a very competitive team we have a strong upper hand in retaining him. Veterans priorities once their careers are winding down seem to always be 1) Get a job 2) Get a job on a competitive team 3) Money. Milwaukee is a great fit for JHJ for the next few seasons.

Counsell turned down starting jobs to stay in MIL as a utility guy a couple times. Would Jerry rather get 500 PA's and make $4M or get 350 PA's and make $3M. Most guys would not choose the latter, so if the Crew doesn't want him as a starter, he may well go elsewhere, even if it's SEA or BAL.

No player would ever say it, but many prefer the laid back atmosphere of a 70 win team, especially compared to the panic and negative fans in BOS or PHIL. Time will tell.

After posting an 871 OPS / 2 bWAR season in 2008 with the Reds (297 PA), Hairston garnered a 1 year/$2M deal. The most he's ever made is $2.3M and he's going to be 36 in May. Older, non-star vets haven't fared particularly well the past few offseasons, so I guess I don't see Hairston getting a significantly higher AAV than he's gotten so far in his career.

I'd be happy to have him back, though.

The Nats didn't want Tony, and Jerry was up for free agency. That brings down their trade values considerably. I wouldn't say that there was any fleecing involved.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It is pretty crazy that Krod, Hairston, and organ were all picked up for next to nothing and all are huge parts of the team. Then when you start to consider the prices we paid for Axford, Saito, Hawkins, Kotsay,etc Melvin really got a ton of bargains recently that were major successess. The only utter failures that comes to mind in 2011 at the moment are Wil Nieves and thinking that Loe was a late inning reliever.

Obviously the Brewers had a great core already but Melvin did a tremendous job of filling in the gaps for next to nothing (Other than Marcum and Grienke obviously)

We were talking about Hairston and next year, during the game last night.

He is going to be 36 years old next year, probably doesn't have too many years left. He might be tired of moving to a new city every year and decide he wants to finish his career here.

I'd like to see him in a super utility role getting 4 to 5 starts a week. Platoon him at 3rd with Taylor Green. Then move him around between SS, 2B, and OF depending upon who needs the day off. If he performs and can handle more, great.

Archived