Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Nats for Erik Komatsu; Brett Carroll DFAed

StearnsFTW
I still don't understand why Houston is playing hardball with Barmes. They are the worst team in baseball, and he's a free agent in his first year with them. They had no problems dumping Berkman, Oswalt, Pence, etc. but Barmes is untouchable? How does that work?
I was going to say the same thing, its like they are planning to build around Clint Barmes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
i'm not exactly sure what the cardinals are thinking. they are making an awful lot of moves for a team that has a "first round exit" ceiling. still don't think they have enough to even win the division.
They probably think the same thing about us. They also have a pennant in the outfield showing that it can be done with 83 wins.

I still don't understand why Houston is playing hardball with Barmes. They are the worst team in baseball, and he's a free agent in his first year with them. They had no problems dumping Berkman, Oswalt, Pence, etc. but Barmes is untouchable? How does that work?
You should not try understand GM Ed Wade makes you go mad.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I'm going to miss Komatsu. I really like those high OBP contact type guys even if they don't have a lot of power (like Morgan). I think with Weeks having above average power for a second basemen you could afford to have a guy like Komatsu in right field. I haven't been very high on Corey Hart ever since he's been in the majors and I thought they should have traded him to Atlanta last year. I still think they should trade him but I can't imagine they'd get very much for him anymore. The all or nothing type offense Milwaukee has thrown out there the past 4 or 5 years is getting frustrating to me and I can only imagine how bad it could be with Nyger Morgan in the lineup. I was kind of looking forward to a Logan Schafer-Erik Komatsu 1-2 lineup coming up pretty soon. Oh well. Komatsu is gone and now I'm sure Schafer will be off to NY as the PTBNL so I can forget that pipe dream.

I was kind of looking forward to a Logan Schafer-Erik Komatsu 1-2 lineup coming up pretty soon.
That lineup would make me throw up a little bit. No power, no tools, meh defense, and honestly I doubt either is overly productive in the MLB.

When you can get an MLB hitter with a decent skillset for a Komatsu/Schafer type player, you do it. That's what we did to get Tony Plush and I'm glad we did it again.

That lineup would make me throw up a little bit. No power, no tools, meh

defense, and honestly I doubt either is overly productive in the MLB.

Meh defense? While neither is as good as Morgan or Gomez (both of whom are gold glove quality outfielders), both are better than Corey Hart. And Schafer is killing it in Nashville right now. I know it's a small sample but he's had less than 250 ab's above A ball and so far he's more than holding his own. And don't get me wrong, I'm not proclaiming either to be all star caliber major leaguers or anything. But Komatsu is now having his second straight season with more walks than K's. His OBP was close to .400 in AA. It was well over .400 last season. And I realize that neither has any power, but power isn't a necessity in baseball. Nyger Morgan has no power but I wouldn't trade him for anyone in the lineup right now not named Braun or Fielder. You need power but you need guys to get on base too. We haven't had a lot of high OBP guys lately and one of the biggest (Fielder) is gone after the season.

And I understand why this trade was made. This is the year and you need to solidify the current team. All I am saying is that I will miss a guy like Komatsu because I think he might eventually be able to bring something to the team that they don't have a lot of right now.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I'm going to miss Komatsu. I really like those high OBP contact type guys even if they don't have a lot of power (like Morgan). I think with Weeks having above average power for a second basemen you could afford to have a guy like Komatsu in right field.

I understand the desire for an OBA guy, but I think we still could have one as our future RF in Caleb Gindl. He doesn't have quite as high of OBA as Komatsu did, but likely will when he gets as old as Komatsu, and he's already a rung higher with better power.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

We give Komatsu up for Hairston.

Good deal I think, Komatsu is a 4th OF at best.

While I agree about Komatsu's projected ceiling, this kind of trade is what I hate about how Melvin has run the Brewers while in contention. TheCrew07 describes him perfectly as a 'patcher'. The need for improvements at SS/IF & reserve OF was apparent from day one of Spring Training, but Melvin did nothing until the 11th hour, when he had to give up a player that could've provided 6+ seasons of affordable reserve OF play* for a guy in his mid-30s who'll be here for all of two months (three if things go well).

In short, I like the addition of Hairston. But this kind of move could & should have been made much, much earlier -- getting the Brewers greater value (service time from Hairston/Player X) in return & taking less risks that this team could win enough games in spite of terrible performance at SS & 4th OF. For an example of what I mean about making the trade earlier, see Nyjer Morgan.

* If you feel like quoting this part of my post & arguing that no prospect has ever proved anything, ever, please don't. We won't agree so let's not waste each other's time. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 months later...
I think Brewerfan.net should send the Nationals a nice fruit basket at the end of this season.
Or we could just send Josh Wilson their way.

JHJ flew under the radar at the trade deadline and I'm thrilled they picked him up. I see no reason not to give the guy a 2-year, $4 million deal.

Archived