Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Nats for Erik Komatsu; Brett Carroll DFAed

StearnsFTW
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCalvy thinks its Carroll that will be the one to go from the Brewers roster.

On twitter after saying he think Carroll goes...

Brewers OFs rarely come out of games, and Hairston, Wilson both capable out there

He also sees Hairston as platoon partner with Morgan and backing up infield with occasional start at 2b.

Well, if Carroll goes then Hairston might be arriving at Miller Park and then trotting right into CF tonight.
It worked for Felipe Lopez last night. McCalvy said he expects Hairston to make it to Milwaukee in time for the game tonight.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Like the move. Think they are done but would love for Wilson or Counsell to be dropped for Furcal yet. It would be worth the injury risk to acquire him for small pieces of possible. If not , a lefty has to be coming still right? Hairston and Lopez and even Kotsay on the bench when Weeks returns really looks nice. So far so good Doug.

Suddenly the bottom of the lineup gets stronger. Really like this pickup in so many ways. Cheap, versatile, decent hitter, decent defense, and all for a projected 4th outfielder. I liked Komatsu, but JHJ gives the team some much needed depth.

Assuming he performs well, we might even see the end of two of Counsell/Wilson/Kotsay when (hopefully) Gomez and Rickie come back. Kudos, DM.

I just want to know who's going to play SS when Yuni goes back to being Yuni? Yes Hairston can play short, but he hasn't played there much at all and he's getting up in age. Just not sure he's the answer at SS.

I love the move as it covers everything else as far as a bench player goes, but it leaves the SS hole gaping now.

The more I look at this trade, the more I like it. We didn't give up much of a prospect (Sorry Komatsu lovers!), and we got a guy who can get on base at a reasonable clip and plays better D at 2B and SS than our current starters.

I'd like to see him immediately inserted as the starting SS against RHP, and CF against LHP. I'd rather take my chances with Lopez than give Yuni any more ABs.

For fun:

Yunis hot July: .328 wOBA

JHJ's season: .323 wOBA

This trade is exactly what we need. Our overall bench talent is on the rise. Kotsay, Counsell, Hariston, Lopez, Kotteras is a pretty darn good bench (when Rickie is healthy). Lots of versatility. Two of them can play all 3 outfield spots. Three of them can play all over the infield. I like it.

We likely won't have to make a decision to drop a player until the playoffs if it happens because theres almost no way Weeks is back before rosters expand. Gomez I am unsure of as well . September will be full of 30-32 guys that can contribute and it will be needed if the team is to take the division.

Getting ahead of myself a bit maybe but it is fun that it is realistic.

i like the move. i think this also means that melvin is done. I'd like them to make one more move and replace wilson with a vet, but with furcal going to the cards, the astros telling teams that barnes is not available, and the high apparent price of carrol, i don't see it happening. Kotmatsu, while had good aa numbers, didn't have much of a ceiling being a 23 year old AA player. probably a backup of at best.

I liked Komatsu, and think he'll have some value as a major league bench player down the line, but we have a number of similar players, with Schafer and Gindl in AAA already. If I were making out the lineup card, Hairston would play almost every day for the current Brewers, as a platoon partner to Morgan as well as a semi-regular in the infield. Perhaps his veterancy will pass the Roenicke test and we'll actually see Betancourt on the bench from time to time? Please?

The numbers projected by ZiPS of .339/.394 would be an improvement over our current starters at two or three of the positions he plays (not counting catcher), and he's been a little better vs LHP, against which Morgan is fairly helpless. Nice pickup...just hope we use him effectively.

I was underwhelmed hearing about this initially, but I don't think Komatsu was ever going to be a key piece for the Brewers. Hairston does have some value due to his defensive versatility, and carried a pretty good OBP. Not an exciting trade, but not a terrible one either.

i'm not exactly sure what the cardinals are thinking. they are making an awful lot of moves for a team that has a "first round exit" ceiling. still don't think they have enough to even win the division.

They probably want to make one more playoff push in case Pujols leaves after this season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I still don't understand why Houston is playing hardball with Barmes. They are the worst team in baseball, and he's a free agent in his first year with them. They had no problems dumping Berkman, Oswalt, Pence, etc. but Barmes is untouchable? How does that work?

Archived