Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Nats for Erik Komatsu; Brett Carroll DFAed

StearnsFTW
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are Hairston's 3 year splits vs the NL Central:

vs Stl - 27/79 .342 / .381 / .976 / 5 HR / 14 RBI / 4 BB / 12 K

vs Pit - 18/56 .321 / .371 / .853 / 2 HR / 8 RBI / 5 BB / 7 K

vs Cin - 3/11 .273 / .273 / .546 / 0 HR / 0 RBI / 0 BB / 1 K

vs Chc - 10/55 .182 / .258 / .513 / 1 HR / 5 RBI / 6 BB / 9 K

vs Hou - 16/68 .235 / .274 / .612 / 2 HR / 6 RBI / 4 BB / 6 K

Gotta like what he's done against St. Louis and Pittsburgh

Here is his 3 year split at Miller Park...

at MP - 12/31 .387 / .459 / 1.265 / 3 HR / 9 RBI / 5 BB / 6 K

He obviously doesn't mind hitting here, of course some of that had to do with some pretty weak Brewers pitching 2 of the last 3 years.

This seems like a good move. Hariston provides a good RH bench option for the nights he doesn't start, and for the nights he does he can basically play any position we might need him (SS, 2B, LF to spell Braun, even CF over Kotsay if it came to that).

I guess cobbling a roster together is really what is happening here, but I'd rather that than give up great talent for replacement level results (which is basically what some teams are asking in trade talks right now it seems).

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Hairston talking on MLB Network right now.

- will miss the Nats - good organization, good group of young players who will win soon

- not shocked that he was traded, knew a guy like him was a possibility

- just wants to fit in

- Brewers in first place for a reason - doesn't want to go to MIL and "mess things up"

- group of guys who love to have fun, love to win - excited to join them

MLB Network guys like the trade (although Harold Reynolds is kind of dumb). Gammons commented that the loss of Gomez was bigger than people realize (I think we all agree there) and that the two key guys from here on out are Plush and Grienke. I can buy that.

Given everything we know about how the Brewers work, I expect Hariston to be a bench guy. Yuni is still the every day SS. Casey is still the everyday 3B. RR just have more flexibility in when to PH guys and maybe give somebody a day off. JHJ isn't coming in to do anything more than that.

Given everything we know about how the Brewers work, I expect Hariston to be a bench guy. Yuni is still the every day SS. Casey is still the everyday 3B. RR just have more flexibility in when to PH guys and maybe give somebody a day off. JHJ isn't coming in to do anything more than that.

For the time being I agree, but he's more that that going forward. He's insurance. Betancourt is hitting now and McGehee is doing just enough to hold his spot. (.353 w/ .988 OPS last 7 days)

The signs of life coming from those two combined with the exorbitant cost being demanded by teams out of the race for their disposable infielders has most likely convinced Melvin not to go too big. What Hairston gives them is a guy they can feel confident plugging in there if McGehee or Betancourt fall back on their faces.

I think Mark A. knows that buying high salaried waiver dumps in August is the way to go anyway.

For the time being I agree, but he's more that that going forward. He's insurance. Betancourt is hitting now and McGehee is doing just enough to hold his spot. (.353 w/ .988 OPS last 7 days)

The signs of life coming from those two combined with the exorbitant cost being demanded by teams out of the race for their disposable infielders has most likely convinced Melvin not to go too big. What Hairston gives them is a guy they can feel confident plugging in there if McGehee or Betancourt fall back on their faces.

I think Mark A. knows that buying high salaried waiver dumps in August is the way to go anyway.

Yeah, I agree. If Yuni and McGehee continue to struggle, I'm sure the prices for players will go down in August. For now, this is a good trade to make.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Now lets add Barmes in 2nd/3rd inning tonight

That would be awesome. He goes into one dugout in one jersey and emerges from the other dugout in another jersey.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wonder if we could get the other options we wanted (furcal, Carroll, barmes) for cheaper now that we don't appear as desperate. You think DM is still pushing? I think now that we have Hairston, furcal would be better than Carroll because he has a higher upside.

His versatility and seemingly decent-to-good defense make me like this trade a lot. He can play a ton of different positions and we can plug him in whenever someone is struggling. And it's cheaper than a Dodger SS probably would've been. Love it.

This trade makes me wonder how much the Dodgers were asking for Furcal or Carroll, or the Astros were asking for Barmes. Had to be through the roof I'm guessing. At least in Melvin's eyes.

Why teams going nowhere like these two wouldn't want to take what they can get while they can is beyond me...I guess with 2 lame duck GMs not wanting to lose that much with their respective ownership limbos their incentives aren't properly aligned. At least the 'stros pulled the big move with Pence, but the Dodgers have been making poor moves for several years.

At the very least Hairston Jr will start in CF vs lhp and he's a better player than Lopez, so he should start at 2B vs rhp ... his career .327 OBP vs rhp is not earth shattering but it is better than what we currently have in Counsell/Wilson/Lopez

Would prefer they send down Wilson or DFA Counsell and keep Carroll and his defensive abilities

I wonder if we could get the other options we wanted (furcal, Carroll, barmes) for cheaper now that we don't appear as desperate. You think DM is still pushing? I think now that we have Hairston, furcal would be better than Carroll because he has a higher upside.

I think the price of these players is being driven up more by the other teams that the Brewers are competing with. For instance, St. Louis is in on Furcal and probably guys like Barmes, Carrol, Ryan, and Bartlett as well. And then you have to factor in a bunch of other teams looking for infield help. Whatever names those teams are throwing out, those are players the Brewers have to top from their system.

So let's say hypothetically St. Louis has an offer out there for Furcal centered around their 5th ranked pitching prospect who ranks 15-20th overall in their system. The Brewers equivalent would probably have to be someone from their top 10. That's probably a no-go, and for good reason. The farm is stripped enough and there's no guarantee Furcal will even perform much less stay healthy.

Bottom line: The talent Melvin is probably being asked to give up is equal to the kind of player he is used to giving up for much surer commodities and upgrades. When Melvin gives up any one or a few of his top 10 prospects he's used to getting Sabathias, Greinkes, and Marcums not Furcals and Barmeses.

What is the plural of Barmes anyway?

What is the plural of Barmes anyway?
I'm certain it's Barmeseseses. If he became a Brewer I'd be calling him Deermeat anyway. Don't think, deermeat, just throw.

Clint was the first fielding link in a nice double play last night, which caught my eye because it didn't seem like a play Yuni would turn. Then again, Wolf struck him out.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived