Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Nats for Erik Komatsu; Brett Carroll DFAed

StearnsFTW

http://www.mlbtraderumors...e-jerry-hairston-jr.html

He's actually been decent this year. I like the move, depending, of course, upon what we gave up.

Stats:

http://www.baseball-refer...layers/h/hairsje02.shtml

Looks like he was pretty darn good defensively at every position he played last year and this year too:

http://www.fangraphs.com/...;position=2B/OF#fielding

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not bad. Not the best I was hoping for. This means that either Counsel or Wilson will be sent down. My thinking is that even though Wilson is the better option of the two, their going to keep 'ole man Craig for locker-room leadership and experience.

I hadn't even thought of Hairston as a potential trade pickup, but he certainly fits the bill of what they needed. He plays solid defense at 3B, 2B, and SS and Zips projects him to hit .270/.333/.410/.743.

Edit: That Zips projection seems too high. Maybe .260/.330/.370 is a better guess.

Hopefully they didn't give up too much.

If true this move does nothing for me. I am not seeing where he is much better than the rest of the middle infield players we already have. Depends what we gave up. Better not be anything of value.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd like to think that he'd start every day be it in CF, SS or 3B. I'd give Lopez a shot at 2B for a bit and do everything I could to keep McGehee/Carroll out of the line up.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

How's his defense in CF? I'm really hoping Craigers will ride off into the sunset with some dignity here, but like others have speculated, i'm sure it will be Carroll to go.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

How's his defense in CF? I'm really hoping Craigers will ride off into the sunset with some dignity here, but like others have speculated, i'm sure it will be Carroll to go.

UZR/150 says bad the last few years, but that's in 84 innings. Earlier in his career he was quite good in CF.

Darnit -- I'm gonna miss Komatsu. He was one of those guys I just particularly enjoyed following and cheering on. But rationally this is a very smart move. I like Hairston, overall, more than most of the guys we've been talking about getting. He brings a little bit of everything -- OBP, versatility, pop -- and we need a little bit of everything right now.

One could make a pretty decent argument that of the healthy middle IF we have Hairston Jr. is now the best and should play everyday. I don't know that Roenicke is that crafty, but you could more or less make him an everyday player while Rickie is out rotating him through the positions depending on match ups. Then again I still live in a fantasy world where Green is called up, Casey rides the pine, CC is cut, and Hairston is the starting SS once Rickie is back.

One could make a pretty decent argument that of the healthy middle IF we have Hairston Jr. is now the best and should play everyday. I don't know that Roenicke is that crafty, but you could more or less make him an everyday player while Rickie is out rotating him through the positions depending on match ups. Then again I still live in a fantasy world where Green is called up, Casey rides the pine, CC is cut, and Hairston is the starting SS once Rickie is back.

ahhhh.......it's a wonderful fantasy though isn't it?

Archived