Brewer Fanatic

Hunter Pence to Phillies

jjkoestler

I didn't believe the Domonic Brown rumors. Brown has to have 5+ years of team control left and has lots of potential as a 23 year old.

Thanks Phils for taking the Astros best hitter out of the lineup just as they happen to face our Brewers.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Yeah, Pence has been ridiculously overrated since day one. Great job by the 'Stros.
They may have over paid but Pence is really good maybe overrated but what player isn't overrated by the media and fans?

Yeah, Pence has been ridiculously overrated since day one. Great job by the 'Stros.
They may have over paid but Pence is really good maybe overrated but what player isn't overrated by the media and fans?
Guys that hit .260 and are better than Pence.

Really? Who are these mystery players then? Pence is a good to great OF definitely better offensively and defensively than Hart and better defensively than Braun. Pence is one of the top 15 OF's in the majors and one of the top OF's in the NL. How is he overrated again? You would tell me that you would take Hart over Pence in RF?

Pence is already a 3 WAR player this year. The Phillies just got a lot better.
He also makes their offense better which if the Brewers were to play them in the playoffs I would rather see the Phillies without added improvements to that offense which hasn't been all that great this year.

Community Moderator

It's always nice to have a $170 million payroll and a great farm system. Why waste the time/effort bringing the prospects to the majors when you can have such a large selection of available players to choose from?

Who even cares if the Phillies overpaid a bit? As long as they aren't picking up Soriano-like contracts or trading away the next Ryan Braun, they are fine.

I like having a few down teams willing to trade this year. In some recent years there have been too many teams in competition, with nothing good available at the deadline. Better to let the good teams pick up pieces and make a run at it, while the bad teams give themselves some hope for rebuilding.

I won't lie, I'll be very surprised if the Phillies don't stomp everyone on their way to winning the WS. I'm not sure the Red Sox can even compete with them now.

Switching Ibanez with Pence is a 4-6 WAR a season upgrade. Yikes.

I won't lie, I'll be very surprised if the Phillies don't stomp everyone on their way to winning the WS. I'm not sure the Red Sox can even compete with them now.

Switching Ibanez with Pence is a 4-6 WAR a season upgrade. Yikes.

Boston's offense is still better.

I'd take the Red Sox over the Phillies easily.

They're like 60-28 (!) in the last 88............pretty good.

Really? Who are these mystery players then? Pence is a good to great OF definitely better offensively and defensively than Hart and better defensively than Braun. Pence is one of the top 15 OF's in the majors and one of the top OF's in the NL. How is he overrated again? You would tell me that you would take Hart over Pence in RF?
Pence is good for an .820 OPS and an above average glove. A very nice player to be sure. But top 15? Give me a break. His numbers this season are being driven by a .370 BABIP. He'd still be having a very nice season with that number regressing, but the astros sold him at his peak and got a great return.

Off the top of my head: Bautista, Ellsbury, Granderson, Hamilton, Cruz, Victorino, Stanton, Beltran, Braun, Holliday, McCutchen, Bruce, Upton, Kemp, C Gonzalez

There's probably a couple more. If you want to take an old guy like Beltran out, go for it...just put a guy like Heyward in. Pence is very solid, and makes the Phillies a very dangerous team....but he is not a great player.

I don't think Pence is a free agent until after 2013...so two years and change of Pence, though he'll get raises in arby and won't be must of a bargain salary-wise. Two top fifty prospects and two lesser guys is a decent haul, but Pence fills a significant hole for the Phils, will be there for a while, and the two good prospects are still very young, in the A+ FSL I believe. The road to the world series got tougher in the NL, sadly.

Philly is a well-run team now, but I sure remember them being mired in mediocrity for years on end. Meanwhile the Astros are in that hole that we can remember all too well...and just lost a guy who is one of the few things to be excited about.

Pence has two years left on his contract after this season, so i don't know if the Phillies are necessarily overpaying. and Pence isn't making Carlos Lee money, either. the radio said it was Philly's #1 pitcher and #1 hitter, but neither are at AAA yet, so i guess you have to pay more when you're digging from the lower levels (we certainly had to with Odorizzi).

i live in Texas and was listening to both the game and then their 10th inning show. a small number of Houston fans understood that he had to be traded, and a small number of fans are saying that Pence is "the next Ted Williams" (seriously). it seems like the slight majority of people don't like the trade and thought that Pence could be that "player to build your future around." I think Pence is a very very good outfielder, but he's old enough that he'll be in decline when Houston's good prospects come up, so no real reason to keep Pence around.

so apart from Dominick Brown, I guess Houston has the rest of Philly's minor league system after trading Oswalt last year.

radio caller: "what we can't know is if these prospects we got have any heart, and Pence had that. i don't care how much talent they have if they don't have heart, and heart is more important than talent."

radio DJ: "well actually, i just looked it up, and Cosart had an 850 Heart Rating last year, and Singleton had a 760 Rating, so that's not too bad at all." [click]

a great comment. i'm liking these Houston radio guys.

It was interesting to see Pence get pulled after taking the field. I was at the game and had actually seen on twitter during the top of the inning that Pence had been traded, so I was waiting for it to happen. I told my dad about it before he took the field. I actually didn't think he would take the field, and was surprised that he did. No one else around me knew what was going on so I spread the word. Not very often that you see a player traded during a game. Kind of cool to see it. Then see him hugging his teammates in the dugout and leaving. I had a perfect view of that from where I was sitting.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

There is no such thing as overpaying if your going for it which the Phillies obviously are. Anything can happen once your in the playoffs. Prospects that aren't going to help you right now this year are all expendable in a situation like this. The Phillies got a lot better with this trade. Pence is a very solid player. The Phillies are going to be tough to beat.

Ironically, Corey is currently #2 on Hunter Pence's Similarity Score at baseball-reference.com, for what it's worth. He's sandwiched in between Matt Kemp and Kal Daniels.

Pence has two years left on his contract after this season, so i don't know if the Phillies are necessarily overpaying. and Pence isn't making Carlos Lee money, either. the radio said it was Philly's #1 pitcher and #1 hitter, but neither are at AAA yet, so i guess you have to pay more when you're digging from the lower levels (we certainly had to with Odorizzi).

i live in Texas and was listening to both the game and then their 10th inning show. a small number of Houston fans understood that he had to be traded, and a small number of fans are saying that Pence is "the next Ted Williams" (seriously). it seems like the slight majority of people don't like the trade and thought that Pence could be that "player to build your future around." I think Pence is a very very good outfielder, but he's old enough that he'll be in decline when Houston's good prospects come up, so no real reason to keep Pence around.

so apart from Dominick Brown, I guess Houston has the rest of Philly's minor league system after trading Oswalt last year.

radio caller: "what we can't know is if these prospects we got have any heart, and Pence had that. i don't care how much talent they have if they don't have heart, and heart is more important than talent."

radio DJ: "well actually, i just looked it up, and Cosart had an 850 Heart Rating last year, and Singleton had a 760 Rating, so that's not too bad at all." [click]

a great comment. i'm liking these Houston radio guys.

No. Only in the Rocky films.

I have quite a bit of heart, I'm sure more than many MLB players, but I don't think that makes me qualified to take the low-hearted ones jobs.

Archived