Brewer Fanatic

Research on others with sprained fingers

NYChez

Mark Brunell sprained his finger in December of 2002. He had a bad game the next week, and then had a 3 TD / 0 INT game the following week.

Marcus Giles sprained a finger on April 18, 2006. He missed 6 days, and then came back and had hits in each of his next 3 games on his way to a 550 at-bat season with no other lengthy absences.

Jim Thome sprained a finger on May 18, 2004. He missed 7 days, and then game back and had 3 doubles in the next 2 games on the way to a 612 plate appearance season with 42 homers.

Khalil Greene sprained a finger in late 2006, attempted to return on two occasions, but did not have a hit the rest of the season. This year he has 16 home runs and seems to be fully recovered.

Joel Zumaya sprained a finger in early May 2007 and expects to return to action in August.

As has been discussed before, there is a wide range of outcomes from this injury. Based on today's news, Sheets' injury appears less severe than Zumaya's. I doubt that he'll be back next week (like Brunell, Giles, and Thome were) mainly because he is a pitcher, but 2+ weeks sounds about right at this point.

I think the fact that he's a pitcher, makes most of those comparisons not very helpful, unfortunately. Even a QB isn't going to put the kind of stresses on his fingertips that a pitcher does.

He won't even touch a baseball for 10-14 more days. If thinks are progressing by that point, he'll then pitch with a splint, to keep his arm and shoulder in pitching shape. Makes me think that 4 weeks from his last start is the most optimistic return that could be reasonably hoped for.

Quote:
I think the fact that he's a pitcher, makes most of those comparisons not very helpful, unfortunately. Even a QB isn't going to put the kind of stresses on his fingertips that a pitcher does.

I was thinking the same thing.

But I really do appreciate the positive vibes.

The press will be saying "You know, this guy is always injured" and "This is exactly the type of thing that the Brewers can't have happen with the Cubs hot on their tails."

So it's tiime to reverse that ju-ju. Get well and give 'em hell Sheeter.

History would have you believe he'll be back in early September. I mean, when was the last time Sheets (or any of our other injured players for that matter) came back early from an injury. It's just like Hall's injury (relatively speaking), we're hearing how great he's doing and he's jogging, tossing the ball around, due off the DL this week, etc. yet he won't be in the lineup for at least another 10-15 days.

History would have you believe he'll be back in early September. I mean, when was the last time Sheets (or any of our other injured players for that matter) came back early from an injury.

That's always assumed but I don't think it's always true. This year is a fine example. Cappy came back on time from both his injuries, didn't he? Sheets' couple previous nicks were nothing. Hall's prognosis of high ankle sprain actually improved.

I know the tendency is to assume the worst but let's just see where the facts take us?

Even in best case scenario, I don't expect Sheets back until September.

If his finger is fully recovered in 4 weeks, it will take 2-3 rehab starts to extend his arm again. You can't sit around that long and not lose stamina in your arm.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If his finger is fully recovered in 4 weeks, it will take 2-3 rehab starts to extend his arm again. You can't sit around that long and not lose stamina in your arm.

I wonder if the Brewers would give any thought to pitching Sheets out of the pen in Milwaukee when he comes of the DL? Or maybe they could piggy-back Sheets and Gallardo?

I know it will be hard for him Sheets to stretch himself back out to a 7 inning guy working from Milwaukee's pen, but I hate to waste him in the Nashville when he might be of value in Milwaukee.

I'm sure he'll get the rehab starts in Nashville, but it would be interesting to see Milwaukee do something like that.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I heard somewhere he could wear a splint at some point so he could start throwing and keep stretched out as much as possible. He just wouldn't be snapping off any curves.

Edit: I missed that Russ already mentioned this.

If his finger is fully recovered in 4 weeks, it will take 2-3 rehab starts to extend his arm again.

Best case scenario is that he's throwing a baseball in about a week. Now, throwing with a splint is ovbiously not the same thing but it could keep him reasonably stretched out and perhaps limit the number of necessary rehab outings. Of course, they could check him out next week Friday and decide to wait another week, so this is all just speculation.

I just want you all to know that we can expect Ben back sooner than we thought. I sustained a finger injury tonight in a dodgeball match and it has been diagnosed as a strained finger on the throwing hand, possible tear. This happened while i was trying to catch a ball, not throw one. But there is no doubt about the fact that i have been chosen to take the burden off of Ben Sheets and endure his pain while he makes a fast recovery.

Archived