Brewer Fanatic

Brewers get Felipe Lopez from Rays for cash; UPDATE: Lopez to Milwaukee, Eric Farris back to AAA

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lopez has been hitting .305 with a .357 OPB and a .831 OPS for Durham in AAA this year. He is 31 years old

He is hitting .216 in about 100 AB's in MLB in 2011 with a .248 OBP, and he hit .233 with a .311 OBP in MLB in MLB in 2010

He is definitely an upgrade over Counsell & Farris ...

I would be willing to bet that Melvin is getting Furcal now. Lopez is probably insurance because of Furcal's injury risk.

Extremely small sample but Furcal is starting to hit like Furcal in the last 6 games with a .318 BA and .444 OBP

But Furcal is strictly a SS. Who is going to play 2B?

Fully expecting a 6-4-3 double play to sound like Furcal-Lopez-Fielder around August 5th. Who would've thought that in March?

I've been thinking that Furcal would be a likely SS upgrade at the trade deadline ever since April, and unfortunately I'm not shocked that Rickie Weeks is injured, but Felipe Lopez? Nope didn't see that one coming

Honestly though I'd rather see Jamey Carroll than Furcal. Furcal is too much of an injury risk

I think the real question is if healthy, are we better with Lopez/Carroll or Lopez/Furcal? I know Furcal is an injury risk BUT what makes the team better? Even if Furcal were to get hurt again, are we really significantly better (meaning worth trading a prospect) with Carroll/Lopez than Betancourt/Lopez? I don't think we are. Now if Furcal were to get hurt, when Rickie comes back, can't we stick Lopez at SS? I think Lopez at SS would be better than Carroll but I don't have Lopez's dWAR to back that up.

Furcal should be the main focus for DM now.

Do the Brewers have to keep Farris for 24 hours or something before they demote him? They should at least get him an at bat for his trouble.
It looks like he was able to play. He did not get Scarpetta'd

I want average defense and an OBP over .300 from a SS. Betancourt will not do either but Furcal should still be able to. He's also a good fit for the Crew in that it will take cash not real prospects to get him.

"Blech to Furcal."

I don't understand the Furcal love affair either.

Maybe 5 years ago, but not the current version.

This is where I am coming from on Furcal...

He's the best option in terms of providing offense and defense. Barmes and Ryan provide awesome D but average O. Carroll is a utility IF to me. Furcal is average on both O and D so he wouldn't be a liability on either. His liability is injury.

I am an advocate still for Brendan Ryan because of his D, but with Rickie hurt I am nervous about throwing an all D, little stick into the lineup. I wouldn't be unhappy if we somehow traded for Ryan, but I think we need the potential offense that Furcal would bring.

"Blech to Furcal."

I don't understand the Furcal love affair either.

Maybe 5 years ago, but not the current version.

So last season's .300/.366/.460 line in ~400 at-bats didn't do anything for you?

We didn't give up anything so no big deal. Not really thrilled to have Lopez though. His defense is maybe average(and that's probably being generous) and his bat probably isn't very good anymore at this point. I didn't want him back after the 2009 season. He has done nothing since then. His 2009 looks like an outlier. If he makes the big club I will be disappointed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

We didn't give up anything so no big deal. Not really thrilled to have Lopez though. His defense is maybe average(and that's probably being generous) and his bat probably isn't very good anymore at this point. I didn't want him back after the 2009 season. He has done nothing since then. His 2009 looks like an outlier. If he makes the big club I will be disappointed.
I'd put dollars to donuts that says he was have a hit in his first forty atbats.

You are working under the assumption Counsell will never hit again. Lopez isn't good. He is another middle infielder warm body. We have a slightly bigger pile of suck in the middle infield now. Hooray.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Lopez is a pretty decent cash pickup, though. I'm not saying to just plug him in and play him every day, but it's not like he's 40, and he's had some pretty successful seasons in the past. I'd take him over Farris, Counsell, or Wilson pretty quickly. Since Taylor Green is a Met in Brewers clothing, I'm not really optimistic they are going to fill this with someone who will do more than help the team tread water.

Archived