Brewer Fanatic

Fukudome to Indians for 2 minor leaguers

owbc
Community Moderator

LINK

Apparently it is not a done deal yet, but should be finished later today.

MILWAUKEE -- The Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians are close to a deal that will send outfielder Kosuke Fukudome to Cleveland, according to multiple major league sources.

The Cubs will receive a minor league pitcher and an outfielder from the Indians.

The

Cubs, who signed Fukudome to a four-year, $48 million contract before

the 2008 season, will kick in more than half of the $4.7 million owed to

Fukudome for the rest of the season, sources told ESPN The Magazine's

Buster Olney.

Tyler Colvin

will be with the team in Milwaukee in case the deal is completed before

game time, according to sources. Colvin is expected to get most of the

playing time in right field the rest of the season.

Fukudome is batting .273 with three home runs and 13 RBIs. In three-plus seasons with the Cubs, Fukudome batted .262.

There has always been a strange infatuation with Fukudome by some on this board. I am not saying that is what you are saying Warning. But this year his OPS is .742 and he cannot really play CF that well from what I have heard and read. I would like him to be our new Kotsay but I dont want him playing much with Hart and Braun on our team

I think the Cubs and their fans would consider the Fukudome signing to be a major failure. Just another overhyped international bonus baby. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he definitely did not live up to the hype- and wasn't worth the contract that he got.

There has always been a strange infatuation with Fukudome by some on this board. I am not saying that is what you are saying Warning. But this year his OPS is .742 and he cannot really play CF that well from what I have heard and read. I would like him to be our new Kotsay but I dont want him playing much with Hart and Braun on our team
Understood and agreed. I just like that he can play all OF spots, can draw a walk and has some pop, 2 of 3 Kotsay does not have. Additionally, he puts it all out there and always seems to be hustling and trying hard from the games I've seen. A guy I enjoy watching and would be worth to have around as a super utility OF.

Community Moderator
Fukudome has been disliked by the Cubs since debuting. Seriously, he's been a pretty good outfielder offensively and is great defensively.
You forgot about his Cubs debut? It was the beginning of the end for Gagne.

To be honest, if the age difference weren't so big (34 vs 29), I'd rather have Fukudome than Hart. Fukudome is superior defensively, left-handed, and his lower OPS includes a roughly 30 point boost in OBP (which I feel this team needs more than the slg).

To be honest, if the age difference weren't so big (34 vs 29), I'd rather have Fukudome than Hart. Fukudome is superior defensively, left-handed, and his lower OPS includes a roughly 30 point boost in OBP (which I feel this team needs more than the slg).
Fukudome isn't good in the field anymore, seems to be losing power and is oft injured.

I was sitting behind home plate at his debut and everyone, including the Tribune, forget who won that game. Everyone also seems to forget that Kerry Wood had as bad an appearance as Gagne (who ended up getting the W).

Riske got the save that game too.

Formerly Andersoc420

Fukudome has been disliked by the Cubs since debuting. Seriously, he's been a pretty good outfielder offensively and is great defensively.

I remember seeing a lot of Fukudome shirts and signs when he first came over but lately I could see him being disliked. I don't watch many Cub games but isn't one of the criticisms of him is that he is terrible defensively?

I was sitting behind home plate at his debut and everyone, including the Tribune, forget who won that game. Everyone also seems to forget that Kerry Wood had as bad an appearance as Gagne (who ended up getting the W).

Riske got the save that game too.

That was my only game at Wrigley. Great Brewer win.

Will Fukudome and Choo get along?

Fukudome is Japanese and Choo is Korean, they probably need English to communicate each other or to argue who should start RF.

Or to settle the historical feud between their countries.

That was my first thought. I've known some nationalistic Koreans who are not very fond of the Japanese (grandparents enslaved under Imperial Japan, the use of "comfort women" etc).

Unlike in America, where I married a Japanese woman and it was no issue despite my grandfather having literally exchanged gunshots with Japanese during war, some Asian (e.g., Confucian filial piety) beliefs involve the taint of bad deeds carrying on through multiple generations. This is why the North Korean regime typically imprisoned 3 generations of a family due to one family member's political crimes.

That said, it's pretty likely that two millionaires who came to the U.S. to play baseball are going to have no problems with each other in any way.

That was my first thought. I've known some nationalistic Koreans who are not very fond of the Japanese (grandparents enslaved under Imperial Japan, the use of "comfort women" etc).

Unlike in America, where I married a Japanese woman and it was no issue despite my grandfather having literally exchanged gunshots with Japanese during war, some Asian (e.g., Confucian filial piety) beliefs involve the taint of bad deeds carrying on through multiple generations. This is why the North Korean regime typically imprisoned 3 generations of a family due to one family member's political crimes.

That said, it's pretty likely that two millionaires who came to the U.S. to play baseball are going to have no problems with each other in any way.

I also have a Japanese wife. Lived in Japan, travelled to Korea. I'm fascinated by the history. I particularly like trying to decide if the North Koreans would rather kill me or my wife first..or what they must think of our child!

I'd agree with most of what you said above. The relationship is worse with Chinese. Most Japanese don't have a problem with Koreans (at least on their end) but older people don't really like the Chinese. Next time you meet a nationalistic Korean ask them if it should be spelled Corea. (some say the Japanese changed the spelling so that it would be alphabetically behind Japan)

In bringing this back to baseball I shall add...

Archived