Brewer Fanatic

2B Eric Farris called up from Nashville -- Big League debut for 25-year-old 2007 4th round pick

Invader3K
There is a 0% chance that Green is the PTBNL for the Mets. Doug would not speak of discussions about bringing Green up if the possibility existed that he was off limits. I'd have been fuming if we had to trade Green for a piece that, while talented and bolstering to our team, is only going to be here for 20-30 innings. I appreciate the help at the back end of the bullpen but it's not worth Green.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree that he's not on the list of 5 Melvin gave to the Mets. It just wouldn't make sense. At this point, Green, Gamel, and about 3 pitchers are our 'big' prospects. Melvin explicitly said it won't be anyone big. Plus, the Mets were looking to dump K-Rod just to avoid the clause in his contract, which probably would have been close to happening already if he was closing for the Mets right now. That's why they moved him, they wanted salary relief not any big player.

I think the reason Green hasn't been given a shot is because Gamel is a higher priority, AND they want to give McGehee every last shot. And I've said this before, but if Green was one of the players, why wouldn't the Mets have just taken him (ie Green and a PTBNL instead of 2 PTBNL)

[quote author=jmeks23 wrote:

[/b]And I've said this before, but if Green was one of the players, why wouldn't the Mets have just taken him (ie Green and a PTBNL instead of 2 PTBNL)

Because he could get injured and they weren't going to have him on their big league roster this season. Why have it happen on their watch? If he had a major injury happen pre-September 1, they'd have to pay for it.

He's had one injury, so if you're insinuating he's injury prone I'm not sure I get that. As far as a broad generalization of 'he could get injured' that doesn't make sense either. Anyone can get injured. Wheeler can get injured for the Mets, but they didn't want to scout him for 2 months before they made the deal. Not saying they couldn't want to do that, but to me it just doesn't add up.

Verified Member
jmeks23]He's had one injury, so if you're insinuating he's injury prone I'm not sure I get that. As far as a broad generalization of 'he could get injured' that doesn't make sense either. Anyone can get injured. Wheeler can get injured for the Mets, but they didn't want to scout him for 2 months before they made the deal. Not saying they couldn't want to do that, but to me it just doesn't add up.

There are very, very few reasons to name a PTBNL before one has to. Unless you want to change his position, get him under your coaching staff right away or put him on the MLB roster it would just be dumb. Usually a PTBNL isn't pre-determined, it comes from a list of players that the team gets to choose from, and any team would want to take as long as possible in case something drastically bad happened to one of the players on the list.

He's had one injury, so if you're insinuating he's injury prone I'm not sure I get that. As far as a broad generalization of 'he could get injured' that doesn't make sense either. Anyone can get injured. Wheeler can get injured for the Mets, but they didn't want to scout him for 2 months before they made the deal. Not saying they couldn't want to do that, but to me it just doesn't add up.

It's transferring risk. As long as the PTBNL remain unclaimed, the injury risk is on the Brewers. Once the Mets claim them, the risk goes to the Mets. A player doesn't have to be injury prone to have a bad injury happen. {Knock on wood} If Green were on the list, and he had a serious injury, the Mets would take the next guy.

After some initial panic, I'm coming back around to the "Green is not on the list" group. Melvin probably wanted to keep the 40-man spot open in case they trade a couple of non-40-man players for someone like Carroll or Furcal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived