Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski

Weeks knows no other speed than full boat, so I hope we just wait until he's 100%, or close to it. I'd hate to see him reinjure the ankle running the bases.

I found it interesting in the McCalvy article that his BP has been jaw-dropping for a couple weeks. He usually seems to do well coming of the DL and long layoffs, so wouldn't surprised me if he mashes in the playoffs.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeks knows no other speed than full boat

I was going to say the same thing. Unless Rickie agreed to a Barry-Bonds-post-knee-troubles level of effort on the bases, it's not worth the risk. And I don't know if Rickie could live up to that kind of agreement.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

http://www.jsonline.com/b...tm_content=jsonline_blog

Sounds like good news to me. He'll probably get some pinch-hitting opportunities against Philly, and then hopefully start playing the field some next week. I'd just like to see him back to 100% and playing 9 innings before the playoffs start. Still plenty of time left.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Can they teach Rickie how to play shortstop between now and the end of the season? Shortstop puts much less strain on an ankle than second base since you tend to move toward first with both fielding the ball and the throw. Rickie has much more range than Yuni. There's just that minor thing that it typically takes years to learn to play short. But would the entire package of Rickie in the lineup and at short be any worse than Yuni?

Can they teach Rickie how to play shortstop between now and the end of the season? Shortstop puts much less strain on an ankle than second base since you tend to move toward first with both fielding the ball and the throw. Rickie has much more range than Yuni. There's just that minor thing that it typically takes years to learn to play short. But would the entire package of Rickie in the lineup and at short be any worse than Yuni?
I hope you're not being serious, because if Rickie isn't 100% then he has no business playing 2B, so he shouldn't be feeling any strain on his ankle.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I hope you're not being serious, because if Rickie isn't 100% then he has no business playing 2B, so he shouldn't be feeling any strain on his ankle.
No business playing at less than 100%? I know I'm old school but are you serious? What player out there is 100%? It's nearly playoff time. It's time to suck it up and play. Just ask Kirk Gibson. He has November, December, January, February, and March if needed to recover.

Yeah even if Rickie is 80% he is still a better option out there. As long as being 80% doesn't pose a re injury risk I think he needs to play. With how the Brewers have been playing without him there really shouldn't be a rush to get him out there though. As long as they can get him out at 2nd for at least 10 days before the playoffs start I think he should be able to return to his previous performance in time for the playoffs

I think it would be better to say "he has no business playing if there is a better-than-normal chance that he will re-injure the ankle." As long as he's back in time to "shake the rust off" for the playoffs, I'm fine. Things may be different if we didn't have as big a lead in the division, but the worst thing that could happen would be to rush him back when he's not needed only to see him twist the ankle again and miss the playoffs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Rickie's ankle isn't 100%, he shouldn't be running on it. If it was the playoffs right now, sure, but we need him to be 100% for the playoffs. It would be disastrously stupid to play him in mostly meaningless September games if it's not fully healed. Having sprained both ankles multiple times and having tried to play on it, I can vouch for how easy it is to reinjure if you come back too soon.

The games aren't meaningless though; that #2 seed is incredibly important in my mind. Weeks would be great to have off of the bench for a while; but I have a feeling that #2 seed will come down to the last couple days and we need Ricke healthy for that home stretch. I say activate him for PH duty this weekend with the goal of playing in the field next weekend.

I think he played short in the Arizona Fall League because his team had two second basemen. That's not an argument for having him play short now, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived