Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski

I saw this blurb on my Fantasy Team notes from Sunday:

2B Rickie Weeks was allowed to take ground balls Sunday for the first time since suffering a badly sprained left ankle July 27. Manager Ron Roenicke said he was surprised by the amount of progress Weeks has made in the early weeks of his recovery and expressed hope that he might return toward the lower end of the three- to six-week projection.

(Yahoo! Sports)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what spot should Rickie bat in when he comes back? First or fifth?
I'd slot him right back into the fifth spot. Corey is doing very nicely leading off, so might as well not upset the apple cart.

I still think

Morgan
Weeks
Braun
Fielder
Hart

is our best lineup, although Hart's and Weeks' lines are nearly identical at the moment, I think Weeks is going to work his way on base more often than Hart in the long run and should bat 2nd. Their power numbers are pretty similar.

Either way, whether Hart or Weeks bats 5th, the other should hit 2nd instead of leadoff. Weeks and Hart are both capable run producers, why not try to set the table for them, especially when you've got a legimate leadoff hitter like Morgan in the lineup already.

Since leadoff is a "speed spot" the obvious place for Rickie is in the 5 hole. He can take advantage of his power while running the bases like Braun did when he was hurting.
Then why is Hart leading off? I'm not saying I agree with the "speed spot" comment but if you're going that route, Weeks is faster than Hart. In fact, I'd say there's at least 4-5 guys on the team faster than Hart.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Roenicke also said that second baseman Rickie Weeks (ankle) and centerfielder Carlos Gomez (collarbone) continue to make solid progress in their recoveries. He said Gomez should be the first one back, perhaps before Sept. 1. Roenicke said Weeks would need longer because he is being brought along more slowly from his severe ankle sprain.

Link

Since leadoff is a "speed spot" the obvious place for Rickie is in the 5 hole. He can take advantage of his power while running the bases like Braun did when he was hurting.
Then why is Hart leading off? I'm not saying I agree with the "speed spot" comment but if you're going that route, Weeks is faster than Hart. In fact, I'd say there's at least 4-5 guys on the team faster than Hart.

You think Hart's speed has changed that much since he was the fastest player when they actually timed them all in the 60 yard dash back in '07? At the very least, I doubt Weeks after an ankle sprain would be faster than Hart.

You think Hart's speed has changed that much since he was the fastest player when they actually timed them all in the 60 yard dash back in '07? At the very least, I doubt Weeks after an ankle sprain would be faster than Hart.

Yeah I think Hart has lost quite a few steps. Maybe it's because he's so lanky but it looks like he's a lot slower than he was. He also never seems to leg out any infield hits. And yeah I bet Weeks isn't faster than Hart with the sprain but I was assuming he'd be back at 100%.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

So what spot should Rickie bat in when he comes back? First or fifth?
I'd slot him right back into the fifth spot. Corey is doing very nicely leading off, so might as well not upset the apple cart.

Totally agree, slot Rickie back in the fifth spot and have Corey remain at leadoff.

• 2 weeks later...
hart won't bad 5th. he has been on record as saying he hates it.

I've heard that before somewhere but I don't get it. What is there to hate so much about batting 5th? Don't like batting with guys on base? Don't like having to bat after the pitcher intentionally walks Fielder? I can see some guys not liking hitting in front of the pitcher, or even batting lead off (I batted leadoff a lot and sometimes it felt odd to step in and hit before really getting into the game, but after the top of the first is didn't matter to me). But 5th? Is it really so different than 6th or 7th? Other than hitting 1st or 8th I don't see how it would be such a big deal to a major league hitter.

I've heard that before somewhere but I don't get it. What is there to hate so much about batting 5th? Don't like batting with guys on base? Don't like having to bat after the pitcher intentionally walks Fielder? I can see some guys not liking hitting in front of the pitcher, or even batting lead off (I batted leadoff a lot and sometimes it felt odd to step in and hit before really getting into the game, but after the top of the first is didn't matter to me). But 5th? Is it really so different than 6th or 7th? Other than hitting 1st or 8th I don't see how it would be such a big deal to a major league hitter.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't get it...don't like batting 5th?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hartco01&year=Career&t=b#lineu

He's started in the 5-hole more than any other position. His average is about the same as in lead-off. There's not a huge drop-off or anything like that, so I don't really understand that.

I couldn't find the article, but back when they made the switch in July Hart stated that he asked to be moved out of 5th because he just doesn't like it and it's something mental.

Certainly it shouldn't matter at all, but apparently it does.

If Green did that, he would immediately be accused of not being able to handle the pressure of a pennant race.
Right, and if Green did that, people would already be pulling out their hair, because it would mean he was in the lineup to begin with.

Adam McCalvy posted an interesting article talking about how the Brewers have kicked around the idea of activating Weeks to pinch hit until he is fully cleared to play in the field since rosters are expanded anyway.

My take is if Weeks can jog around the bases pain free (kind of how Braun did when he had the calf problem) I'd say activate him to be a

PH. He's no worse than Wilson as a RH option, and no slower than McGehee running full speed.

Plus, once he gets close defensively they could play him sparingly late in games when the outcome is pretty much determined (e.g.: Brewers up big, or Brewers down big) to get him back into the flow.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived