Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard a couple of announcers say it was going to be on the longer side of the 2-6 weeks, but that's certainly nothing official.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd rather he come back later, at 100% than sooner at 80%. Ankles are so easy to re-injure.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Roenicke seems to like Lopez. When Rickie's back, will Lopez be our everyday 3B?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd rather he come back later, at 100% than sooner at 80%. Ankles are so easy to re-injure.

While it's true that ankles are easily re-injured, I don't think it has much to do with how soon you came back. It's the initial injury that weakens the joint, not really how long you rest it. Ankles heal at different rates depending on the severity but what you do depends entirely on how it feels.

I've had ankle injuries that I incurred playing competitive basketball. If he's already walking on it and putting his full weight on it without assistance, he's already well on his way. The next step, is literally a step. Is he able to walk up and down steps normally, then he's close. The last hurdle will be pivoting on the ankle. The good news is that normal baseball movements are much less likely to injure ankles than a sport like basketball, where it's very easy to land on another foot. Most ankle injuries in baseball are from landing awkwardly on a base, just as Weeks did. To some extent you can control that.

The good news is that normal baseball movements are much less likely to injure ankles than a sport like basketball, where it's very easy to land on another foot.

True, but 2B is probably the position where a player has to pivot/stop quickly more than any other in baseball. He just needs to make sure that it's healed to the point that it won't inhibit his lateral movement and won't easily turn on him every time he moves in any direction other than a straight line.

It is great news that he's out of the cast. I'm sure the Brewers' training staff has a program in place to determine the strength of the ankle and when it's ready to play, as sprained ankles are pretty common in sports.

~Bill Walsh

Exactly. I don't think it's a matter of pain tolerance, the ankle needs to be sound. Well worth waiting an extra week if it means the injury is behind him for the rest of the season.

especially if we are still playing good baseball when he's ready to come back.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

While it's true that ankles are easily re-injured, I don't think it has much to do with how soon you came back. It's the initial injury that weakens the joint, not really how long you rest it. Ankles heal at different rates depending on the severity but what you do depends entirely on how it feels.

I've had ankle injuries that I incurred playing competitive basketball. If he's already walking on it and putting his full weight on it without assistance, he's already well on his way. The next step, is literally a step. Is he able to walk up and down steps normally, then he's close. The last hurdle will be pivoting on the ankle. The good news is that normal baseball movements are much less likely to injure ankles than a sport like basketball, where it's very easy to land on another foot. Most ankle injuries in baseball are from landing awkwardly on a base, just as Weeks did. To some extent you can control that.

The issue with re-injuring is how much rehab you have done to restrengthen the tendons. Rest comes first, but if you don't do the proper amount of rehab then the tendons will still be weak and will be much, much easier to have the same type of injury occur again. I'm sure he'll be in some sort of soft-brace for the rest of the season, while doing rubber band and "alphabet" workouts to get his ankle back to 100%.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago, Ueck said that he has started jogging... in a pool. To me thats a ways from playing baseball on dirt and grass.

How come FSN or the JS never seems to have much for updates on Rickie, but everytime I have to listen to the radio broadcast, Uecker had talked to him before the game and has some information to pass on? It's kind of a big deal! I was hoping we'd get updates throughout his recovery on a more consistant basis than we have.

Yet, unbelievablely, we've built a pretty nice lead with Rickie on the DL... no need to rush back at this point.

EDIT:
I just noticed this in Rosiak's K-Rod article from yesterday:

"Also, Roenicke said Rickie Weeks is now hitting in the cage and might accompany the Brewers on their next road trip, which begins this weekend in New York."

I guess that sounds pretty promising... I still say take your time.

I think he has to go back into the 5 hole, sliding Casey and Betancourt down to 6 and 7, where they probably should be. Casey has been better lately, but not overly so (aside from the 1 game). I think Rickie would provide a much bigger threat and protection for Prince, even if he was only 80 or 90%.

Archived