Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski
It's just a gut feeling, but I feel like moving Betancourt to another position will make him even worse defensively than he already is.
It's a fair concern but 2B is just an easier position overall. I realize that some foot work changes but the transition is pretty easy for SS's. It really makes no sense that Betancourt is still even considered a SS because he has the range of a slow thirdbasemen.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
It's a fair concern but 2B is just an easier position overall. I realize that some foot work changes but the transition is pretty easy for SS's. It really makes no sense that Betancourt is still even considered a SS because he has the range of a slow thirdbasemen.

The problem is that moving Betancourt to 2nd kind of mitigates his [relative] defensive strength of a decent throwing arm. He doesn't have a cannon, but I can't remember him throwing a ball away from SS, either. Meanwhile, his lack of range will be exposed nearly as much from 2b as from SS.

Verified Member
I'm not sure how Hall could be a stupid idea. He is a super utility player who is a year away from hitting 17 homers. I guess from his time here and the fact that he's moved around so much this year I suppose that there may be some on-going attitude issues. Some familiar faces might be good for him--or perhaps it would be bad for him, hard to know right now.

The only thing I can think of is now expanding a deal that may have already been in place to include another INF. Like maybe adding Furcal to a deal with Carroll from the Dodgers. Or if any part of that White Sox deal is true, perhaps expanding the package to add Beckham or Eduardo Escobar from their minors.

I'm not sure how Hall could be a stupid idea. He is a super utility player who is a year away from hitting 17 homers. I guess from his time here and the fact that he's moved around so much this year I suppose that there may be some on-going attitude issues. Some familiar faces might be good for him--or perhaps it would be bad for him, hard to know right now.
He's been awful 3 of the last 4 years. And hurt this year.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

doesn't look like we'll be seeing him again in 2011. let's just hope he's at full strength for 2012.

Over react much?

Is he really overreacting? That was a gruesome looking injury. Reminded me of Jason Kendall's injury while with Pittsburgh when he stepped on the side of first base and turned his ankle...only difference is Kendall left the field with his ankle bone poking out the side of his leg.

In all seriousness, Weeks is likely out at least a month, possibly longer. And how many times have you seen a Brewers player come back from an injury early or even on time? I'll be very surprised if we see Rickie at second base again this year.

Yes, he IS overreacting much. He turned his ankle. Very badly, but it was a turned ankle, and we're declaring him done for the year with over 2 months left? Weeks will be back in August is my guess. Towards the end, but August. Just the kinda guy he is.

And how many times have I seen a Brewers player come back "early, or on time?" A lot. We just like to focus on how inept the medical staff is around here. What, with the years we've all put in in Medical school, I've always understood that.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The only thing I can think of is now expanding a deal that may have already been in place to include another INF. Like maybe adding Furcal to a deal with Carroll from the Dodgers. Or if any part of that White Sox deal is true, perhaps expanding the package to add Beckham or Eduardo Escobar from their minors.
Rosenthal tweeted earlier today that the Dodgers would only trade one of Carroll and Furcal.

Rosenthal tweeted earlier today that the Dodgers would only trade one of Carroll and Furcal.

That makes no sense (then again its the Dodgers).

Hey at this point, I'm just happy it's a month and not the season.

We can tread water for a month without him. It's a big loss, but if you put it in perspective, say that Weeks is a 6 WAR player, losing him for a month, on average, should amount to 1 loss in the standings, and we could make that up with some good deadline moves.

(Obviously I'm not saying we're going to be exactly one game down without Rickie as we would have been with him, it could be several, it could be +1 by some freak coincidence, no one will ever know, but it gives you an idea of the kind of impact it should have.)

An article on the Mariners' site speculates, I don't know how informedly:

Veteran infielder Adam Kennedy is another pending free agent who could bring a young prospect in return. Milwaukee might be a suitor for Kennedy after second baseman Rickie Weeks suffered a nasty ankle injury Wednesday and appears lost for some time.

As the Brewers' former scouting director, Zduriencik is familiar with Milwaukee's system, which includes a couple young catching prospects who could help fill a Mariners void. The Brewers just promoted catcher Martin Maldonado to Triple-A Nashville, and he's regarded as a strong defender with an improving bat.

The Brewers also have young catching prospect Cameron Garfield, a second-rounder in 2009 who has missed most of this year with a knee injury.

There is something about Adam Kennedy that makes me think he is the type of player that Melvin would acquire in a trade. I could see this happening.

Personally, I like Bill Hall as short term replacement for Weeks. He can be signed at league minimum and won't cost us a prospect. He hit 16 HRs last year and hit well against RHP as well, plus he plays a decent 2B and can be shifted around.

Hall plus a trade for Furcal would help us out a lot. The main thing with Weeks is that he recover quickly and at the very worst be ready come playoff time.

I like Maldonado. A lot. He could be the backup to Lucroy for the forseeable future. His D would be very welcome behind the plate. I would be more apt to trade them Kottaras for Kennedy and call up Rivera. Now, if Seattle wants to get serious; if they offered Ryan for Maldonado I would have to think long and hard. A future backup C for a starting SS now seems worth it.

There is something about Adam Kennedy that makes me think he is the type of player that Melvin would acquire in a trade. I could see this happening.

Personally, I like Bill Hall as short term replacement for Weeks. He can be signed at league minimum and won't cost us a prospect. He hit 16 HRs last year and hit well against RHP as well, plus he plays a decent 2B and can be shifted around.

Hall plus a trade for Furcal would help us out a lot. The main thing with Weeks is that he recover quickly and at the very worst be ready come playoff time.

If the Brewers can get Furcal/Barmes/Ryan, I'd be more inclined to sign Bill Hall as a hold me over to split time at 2B with Lopez until Rickie comes back than trade a prospect for Adam Kennedy. Kennedy can be had in the offseason if we really want him. Lopez v. Kennedy at 2B would be close enough to a push that trading a prospect is not worth it to me

"if they offered Ryan for Maldonado I would have to think long and hard. A future backup C for a starting SS now seems worth it. "

If Melvin did anything but immediately say "YES" to this trade offer, I would immediately turn against him.

Archived