Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think its Knee-Jerk at all. The Brewers were a fringe candidate for the Playoffs/WS without any major injuries. This is a major hit and if we are being smart rather than hopeful, trading Prince would be the move to make.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think its Knee-Jerk at all. The Brewers were a fringe candidate for the Playoffs/WS without any major injuries. This is a major hit and if we are being smart rather than hopeful, trading Prince would be the move to make.
And again, losing Braun was a major hit, and they survived that. Braun's one of the top hitters in the entire league, and they got by without him. If, in fact, Weeks is out for a month TOPS, there's no reason the Brewers should consider themselves out of the running with a very favorable schedule from here on out.

The Brewers were a fringe candidate for the Playoffs/WS without any major injuries.

They're in first place over 100 games into the season. Didn't we already have the "It's time to sell" thread around the time Braun was hurt?

I just wish those "hopeful rather than smart" Cardinals would've traded Pujols and Holliday when they lost a Cy Young candidate this spring.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

One player of Weeks' caliber is worth 1-to-1.5 wins over a month. We are likely to be anywhere from +1 win to -3 wins with Rickie out, assuming Farris or whoever gets the starts plays has an expected production of replacement level.

Edits noted above.

I hope you are right, I really do. I just think we got lucky with Braun being out. The downgrade from Weeks to Counsel/Farris is a bigger hit than Braun to Kotsay, in my opinion. If McGehee can turn it up and the pitching stays hot, they can stay in it. I just think its going to be a very frustrating run and we will probably fall short. I want long term success for this team, not hoping for players to finally start performing.

I just wish those "hopeful rather than smart" Cardinals would've traded Pujols and Holliday when they lost a Cy Young candidate this spring.

The Cardinals plan on keeping those players after this year. We all know that Prince is gone.

Rosenthal saying weeks will only be out 2-4 weeks.
I'll be dancing if he's back in four weeks or less. That's great news.
Amen. I reeeeally hope that's accurate. We'll be fine if it's only 2-4 weeks.

Trading Prince is not the answer IMO, no matter how long Rickie's out.

Yes, it's time to give up on the season. They are in first place but have lost Weeks for, perhaps, as little as two weeks, so there is no possible way they can win this tough NL Central over powerhouses like the Pittsburgh Pirates. Clearly it will now be a race between those Pirates and the Cardinals and the Brewers will be struggling to stay ahead of the Cubs.

I think those who have talked about us selling dont realize how good this team could be if the staff continues to click. Greinke has been dominant, Yo can be, Marcum can, Wolf has pitched very well, Narvy is very good for a 5. Our bullpen has been very good since K-Rod came. 8th and 9th are set. Saito and Hawkins have the 7th. Loe is good when used correctly. We just need a left-hander. Add that rotation to even a bad lineup that still has Hart, Braun Fielder we can win this division

Verified Member

The first time I sprained either one was by far the worst. After spraining them, I was told the ligaments stretch, making future sprains more likely, but they heal quicker. That was certainly the case with me. If Rickie's injury is indeed a sprain, I'd think he could be back in a couple of weeks. If it's torn ligaments, then who knows how long he'll be out. It could also be a "high ankle sprain," which I never had, but I saw people in boots and on crutches for weeks with those... the whole leg swells up and turns purple.
This has been my experience as well. The first times I sprained my ankles badly back in high school it took 4-6 weeks to get back to normal. Each subsequent sprain since then would seem to heal quite a bit faster despite having the same amount of pain for the first 6-12 hours after the injury. My ankles kind of look permanently swollen now just from all the scar tissue built up around the joints but they seem to work just fine, even if the joint is a bit "looser," and more susceptible to being turned.

It sounds to me like something he could be able to play on later this year at less the full strength, but I would not be surprised at all for him to get it surgically repaired after the season is over.

I keep forgetting we only have two months to go. August is going to go fast. Let's just stay in the race and see if we're the hot team in September with Rickie back in the lineup.

Community Moderator
We can step back from the ledge, this is good news. But I still find it highly unlikely that he will be back in 3 weeks, and there is certainly still a risk of surgery if it does not heal properly.

3-6 weeks is a lot. Take the average of that (4.5 weeks) and we aren't looking to get Weeks back until the start of September.

I hope the Brewers can find a decent replacement for Weeks but Betancourt's defense is so atrociousness at SS that I'd love for Melvin to kill two birds with one stone. Trade for a SS and shift Betancourt over to second, where his terrible range will be less costly. When Weeks come back, Betancourt could be the primary back up in the middle infield.

3-6 weeks is a lot. Take the average of that (4.5 weeks) and we aren't looking to get Weeks back until the start of September.

I hope the Brewers can find a decent replacement for Weeks but Betancourt's defense is so atrociousness at SS that I'd love for Melvin to kill two birds with one stone. Trade for a SS and shift Betancourt over to second, where his terrible range will be less costly. When Weeks come back, Betancourt could be the primary back up in the middle infield.

Or trade for Barmes AND Carroll, which I would've advocated before the injury, and when Rickie comes back Carroll can play some third as well as some shortstop. And DFA Betancourt when Weeks returns.

I saw on MLB Trade Rumors that the Cards are also looking for middle infield help, hopefully we can get someone valuable to us before they do. At this point I would love to get Orlando Hudson AND Jason Bartlett in a package, start them both and then have Hudson on the bench for the stretch run.

Or get Furcal AND Carroll from the Dodgers.

I saw on MLB Trade Rumors that the Cards are also looking for middle infield help,

I saw that as well. Wouldn't it be a real kick in the pants if they go out and get Carroll/Furcal while we're stuck with Betancourt, McGehee, Counsell/Wilson/Farris. We need to act and act quickly.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived