Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ankle injuries can heal in a week or a year. We can speculate all we want but who the hell knows.

There was a real chance that before this injury, Melvin had convinced himself that he was fine with the infielders he had. Assuming Weeks will be out at least 15 days, I don't think he can say that anymore.

Not that it makes me an expert... but I've sprained both of my ankles (luckily not at the same time), most recently this year, about 6 weeks ago. Granted, I'm no professional athlete, but it did take me 3-4 weeks to be back at full strength, and mine was a lot less serious than Rickie's looked like.

As an example, I walked off the field under my own power, and Rickie needed assistance. Though, that could be the trainer being smart and not letting him take any chances.

Needless to say, I truly empathize with him on this injury, and wish him a speedy recovery at both the overall human level, and as a brewer fan who does not want to see a lineup with 4 sub .700 OPS guys in it...

I thought it looked pretty gruesome. Since he was putting no weight on it, I'd be shocked to be him back in anything under a month.

I guess we'll find out if Taylor Green is in the K-Rod deal, because it makes no sense not to call him up now.

I messed up my ankle with a bad hyperextention once. The wierdest thing about it was that after the inital swelling went away there really wasn't any pain, but it was just felt so "weak" that it was hard to do anything with it. I had a pretty good pain threshold in those days but that was awful. Didn't hurt, but body just wouldn't respond to what I wanted it to do.

In a race this close, every single day that Ricky misses could be the difference.

It looked REALLY bad on the replay, but we already know there was no fracture. It's just down to the ligaments. The fact that he could put any pressure on it at all was somewhat positive. It is odd to see teammates saying it's not too serious, though I suspect that's just what he said to them when he was being walked out. Overall if there's no serious ligament damage, it's probably a whole month type thing. To istan, the fact that it took you that long should make everyone more optimistic. Weeks has incredible doctors, and access to therapy and treatment for it, not to mention unlimited cortisone shots.

It's got me thinking though. Does this make Melvin more inclined to pick up both Barmes and Carroll (or a similar INF duo)? Then Barmes is your SS replacing Yuni, and Carroll can fill Wilson's spot as another utility guy. Weeks likely gets replaced internally by Gamel (if they get Carroll) or Green. Maybe even Farris. I personally hope Melvin does something like that now, because without Rickie's bat in the lineup, it puts even more pressure on a terrible defense. Bolstering that D should help a lot honestly. They can't afford to not do something if Weeks is out more than 2 weeks.

I wonder what the lineup should be in the meantime before they make any moves?

Perhaps Morgan gets a shot to leadoff finally?

Morgan

Hart

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Betancourt

Lucroy

Counsell/Wilson

I did something similar to my ankle. I was in a cast for 2 months and rehabbed for 1 month before I could play again. Now that was many years ago, and treatments are so superior now I'll guess he halves that time. I'll say 5 weeks for Weeks. But I'm gutted by this. Rickie is my fav Brewer. I'm gonna kill a fatted calf for him tonight. Hoping...

there is a 40 man roster spot open now by trading nieves, unless melvin has something in the pipeline, greene [sic] makes the most sense as a fill in.
nieves was removed from the 40-man when he was outrighted to the minor leagues, not when he was traded to the braves. the roster is currently at 39, and if it went to 40, additional spots could be opened up by transferring mitch stetter and brandon kintzler to the 60-day disabled list. carlos gomez could also be a candidate to transfer to the 60-day, but everyone is optimistic that carlos could return sooner than 60 days.

it should be noted that players can only be transferred to the 60-day disabled list if the 40-man roster is full.

there were and still are many flights to chicago from oklahoma city. hopefully, a nashville sound got a good night's sleep last night and is either on a plane or at will rogers world airport right now . . .

no nashville infielders were removed from last night's game. one can assume that since they're on the road, the player being called up has very little to pack and bring north to milwaukee.

jmeks23 wrote:

Perhaps Morgan gets a shot to leadoff finally?

Morgan

Hart

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Betancourt

Lucroy

Counsell/Wilson

They already have Hart-Morgan at the top. Why would they change that because the 5 hole hitter goes down? I predict:
Hart
Morgan
Braun
Fielder
McGehee (he's hot!)
Betancourt
Counsell/Wilson
Lucroy (catchers only hit 8th)

Get well Rickie!

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

They should bring up both Taylor Green and Eric Farris, and DFA Counsell, until they can get Jamey Carroll in a deal, when you send Farris back down. Rotate Green between 2B and 3B and Carroll between 2b and SS. Carroll makes more sense than Barmes because he's a good option to lead off. With Weeks down, Hart will be needed in the middle of the order.

I agree with JohnBriggs' post above. That's what should happen.

What has happened is Farris was called up, which seems to mean that for some reason Green was included in the PTBNL list to the Mets. That would take the "easy fix" off the table. Farris doesn't look like a MLB-caliber bat right now, so calling him up doesn't really help other than to put another warm body on the roster.

If we didn't need to trade for a middle IF before the injury, we certainly need to trade for one now. Carroll would be perfect, as he could be your leadoff guy, followed by Morgan, with Hart re-claiming the #5 spot. When Weeks returns, Carroll moves to SS and we actually have a pretty decent lineup.

FWIW I sprained my ankles a lot in my football days. The first time I sprained either one was by far the worst. After spraining them, I was told the ligaments stretch, making future sprains more likely, but they heal quicker. That was certainly the case with me. If Rickie's injury is indeed a sprain, I'd think he could be back in a couple of weeks. If it's torn ligaments, then who knows how long he'll be out. It could also be a "high ankle sprain," which I never had, but I saw people in boots and on crutches for weeks with those... the whole leg swells up and turns purple.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I really think we should look at trading Prince. This pretty much means no playoffs.

I wouldn't take it that far. If we can get a Jamey Carroll, our offense will be passable until Weeks gets back, and pretty good after Weeks returns. Our offense survived when Braun missed almost two weeks and was replaced by Kotsay hitting #3, so it can survive with Weeks getting replaced for a couple weeks. I'd just rather it be Taylor Green replacing him until we (hopefully) trade for Carroll. Watching Counsell/Wilson/Farris hitting after McGehee/Betancourt won't be overly fun.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really think we should look at trading Prince. This pretty much means no playoffs.
That's a bit of a knee jerk, isn't it? Braun missed a dozen games, and the Crew maintained their positioning in the standings. Brauns offense is imminently more valuable than Weeks', and Braun was replaced by a .650 OPS corner outfielder for that time.

Archived