Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks to 15-day DL (Expected to start Sunday 9/11)

rluzinski

Rolled it stretching for first on an infield single. X-rays were negative but he could barely put any pressure on it. I think he will be out for a few weeks at least.

What the HELL do the Brewers do? With the pieces they have, you almost have to have Counsell and Wilson platoon at SS and move Betancourt over. Counsell is still an above average defensive SS and Betancourt may be the worst, so it would be stupid not to.

I think Melvin needs to make a move quick! An starting infield that includes McGehee, Betancourt and Counsell/Wilson would be embarrassing.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our infield was already embarrassing with Weeks.
WAR:

Weeks: 3.8
Fielder: 3.3
Betancourt: -.4
McGehee: -.5

Total: 6.2 WAR

Assuming that is a fair representation them, that works out to around average for 2/3rds of a year.

"I'm awaiting the Gamel/Betancourt/McGehee/Fielder infield..."

I would completely disregard that as a possibility but Melvin has shown a complete disregard for defense so...

I think we see Green or Farris up until Melvin can find a deal for someone like Carroll or Barmes in a couple days. The problem is now the Brewers are going to be seen as desperate, so those guys are going to be more expensive than they were a few days ago.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If he's only out a few weeks, I'm not sure. If he's going to be out the rest of the season, I'm not sure.

This very well could be the season that defines Melvin's tenure with the club. Luckily this happened before the trade deadline.

I think we see Green or Farris up until Melvin can find a deal for someone like Carroll or Barmes in a couple days. The problem is now the Brewers are going to be seen as desperate, so those guys are going to be more expensive than they were a few days ago.

Green has been getting more time at 2B with Gamel at 3B so he has to be an option. Not Farris though, he's not even a decent AAA player. Edwin Maysonet would be a better option than Farris. If not Green, then just go with what we have and bring up Gamel for another bench bat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Community Moderator

So Rickie is headed to the DL for sure. I am still optimistic that he can get back by September if it does not require surgery.

Sadly, this is similar to the 2008 Gallardo injury. The season isn't over, especially since McGehee and Betancourt have looked better of late. But the Cardinals are now the favorites in the division if Rickie misses the rest of the year.

The bottom line is:

1) Green needs to get a shot right away and we all need to hope that he comes up hot before the pitchers figure him out

1) Melvin needs to get infield help, preferably at 2B now

3) We're going to have to deal with McGehee and Betancourt starting the majority of the time

doesn't look like we'll be seeing him again in 2011. let's just hope he's at full strength for 2012.

This seems premature. Or have you heard something?

i haven't heard anything fwiw so i should probably edit my post if it's being interpreted as informed. i am purely speculating based on all of the information at my fingertips (twitter, pictures, video, etc.)

doesn't look like we'll be seeing him again in 2011. let's just hope he's at full strength for 2012.

Over react much?

Is he really overreacting? That was a gruesome looking injury. Reminded me of Jason Kendall's injury while with Pittsburgh when he stepped on the side of first base and turned his ankle...only difference is Kendall left the field with his ankle bone poking out the side of his leg.

In all seriousness, Weeks is likely out at least a month, possibly longer. And how many times have you seen a Brewers player come back from an injury early or even on time? I'll be very surprised if we see Rickie at second base again this year.

Over react much?

certainly not an overreaction. i tore ligaments in my ankle playing soccer in high school and was out 4-6 months. lost a few MPH as well afterwards. ankle injuries can be very serious and this one doesn't look to be a joke at all.

let's hope for the best.

Obviously it's hard to say how Corey would know this, but this quote is a glimmer of hope, I suppose, "We're more than teammates, so it's tough to see a friend (go down)," Hart said. "But it's not a season-ending thing, so hopefully it's a few weeks and he can come back and step right back and do what he's been doing."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126298738.html

Verified Member

Rickie is a tough [expletive deleted], and if this is "only" a soft tissue injury in the ankle I would be very surprised if it ended his season. At the very least, he can PH in the playoffs and DH for us in the WS http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

EDIT: removed "SOB" --1992

Archived