Brewer Fanatic

Mat Gamel to White Sox?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Honestly, I'm more than ready to give up on Gamel. No work ethic and he would need a platoon. He also plays over-populated positions.

No work ethic? The guy has been jerked all over the place by this organization, yet continues to go out on a day to day basis and mash the ball, and play whatever position of the day they need him to play. I'd like know where the 'no work ethic' thing comes from.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the greater issue is....We are looking to deal Mat Gamel and THIS (Rios/Thornton) is all we can get for him? I mean Gamel is no Bryce Harper, Julio Teheran, Domonic Brown, Jesus Montero type prospect but come on. I would have expected Mat Gamel to at least get a better return than what is being reported. This is flat out garbage and I believe a better deal than this has to exist out there.

I think the greater issue is....We are looking to deal Mat Gamel and THIS (Rios/Thornton) is all we can get for him? I mean Gamel is no Bryce Harper, Julio Teheran, Domonic Brown, Jesus Montero type prospect but come on. I would have expected Mat Gamel to at least get a better return than what is being reported. This is flat out garbage and I believe a better deal than this has to exist out there.

Thornton is not flat out garbage. He's actually been really really good. This year, I'd say just good, but part of that was being miscast as a closer. His 2008-2010 numbers are pretty awesome. And he's lefthanded. He'd make our bullpen extremely nasty. Rios probably is garbage, but he's a good CF with speed and has hit and hit very well in the past. Now, the $ involved obviously would make this a terrible deal on the surface, but if CWS picks up, say, $40M I wouldn't be too displeased. I'm not high on Gamel really though, so that certainly is part of it for me. I also can't see CWS picking up that much money.

There's every bit of reason for there to be truth to this rumor, at least the Thornton part. With the trade the White Sox made earlier today, they have 4 lefties in their bullpen. Thornton is gonna be moved, it's just a matter of where. And with so few LH relievers on the market right now, it's fair to say the Brewers would be interested.

Thornton is not flat out garbage. He's actually been really really good. This year, I'd say just good, but part of that was being miscast as a closer. His 2008-2010 numbers are pretty awesome. And he's lefthanded. He'd make our bullpen extremely nasty. Rios probably is garbage, but he's a good CF with speed and has hit and hit very well in the past. Now, the $ involved obviously would make this a terrible deal on the surface, but if CWS picks up, say, $40M I wouldn't be too displeased. I'm not high on Gamel really though, so that certainly is part of it for me. I also can't see CWS picking up that much money.

Trading our future 1B who is raking in the Minors for two 30+ year old players with bad contracts is the epitome of flat out garbage. Thornton is owed $12MM over the next two seasons. Rios $39MM over the next three. Those are awful numbers. Now, like you said $40MM of the $51MM, yeah I could do that but I doubt they cover that much.

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind adding Thornton and/or Rios to be honest with you. However, trading Gamel for these players seems like such an extraordinary overpay to me on the surface. I'm not opposed to trading Gamel but there has to be other teams out there who will deal less expensive, quality players at positions of need (SS/3B) rather than someone to serve as a backup and a relief pitcher.

Eduardo Escobar apparently is young, but his minor league numbers seem very pedestrian to me. Looks like a #8 hole hitter, though again he's young and could improve. I guess my point is that to me he's hardly a sweetener that would have me jumping for joy.
But he's a SS prospect, which we have none of above A ball.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Eduardo Escobar apparently is young, but his minor league numbers seem very pedestrian to me. Looks like a #8 hole hitter, though again he's young and could improve. I guess my point is that to me he's hardly a sweetener that would have me jumping for joy.
He seems kinda similar to Alcides, without the misplaced hype.

Trading our future 1B who is raking in the Minors for two 30+ year old players with bad contracts is the epitome of flat out garbage. Thornton is owed $12MM over the next two seasons. Rios $39MM over the next three. Those are awful numbers. Now, like you said $40MM of the $51MM, yeah I could do that but I doubt they cover that much.

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind adding Thornton and/or Rios to be honest with you. However, trading Gamel for these players seems like such an extraordinary overpay to me on the surface. I'm not opposed to trading Gamel but there has to be other teams out there who will deal less expensive, quality players at positions of need (SS/3B) rather than someone to serve as a backup and a relief pitcher.

Right. They are creating a... hole (sorry, this got censored) for next year, all the while not even filling one this year. It makes no sense whatsoever, unless RR just refuses to play any young players, in which case he should be fired.

I think we're pretty much on the same page. You just value Gamel more than I do. I really like the thought of adding Thornton to our pen, but, admittedly, Gamel does seem like a pretty heavy price to pay. Having said that, I doubt you could get him for less.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126287858.html

From TH: I also asked Melvin about trade rumors going around about a deal with the White Sox and he said he hasn't talked to Chicago GM Kenny Williams.

Huge grain of salt. As I said earlier, this makes it more likely IMO.

Ik that. This is why I posted it.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126287858.html

From TH: I also asked Melvin about trade rumors going around about a deal with the White Sox and he said he hasn't talked to Chicago GM Kenny Williams.

Huge grain of salt. As I said earlier, this makes it more likely IMO.

Ik that. This is why I posted it.
Gotcha...............I gotta say, I'm drooling over the possibility of adding Thornton to our pen, and absolutely terrified about how much money we may take on.

Prince then why is Hadricourt even asking him. I think you're off on this one. There's something going on thats for sure.
Ik there's something going on. That's why Melvin didn't say anything. Haudricourt asks him because it's his job as jwill said. And Melvin doesn't say anything because he's not stupid.

Archived