Brewer Fanatic

Mat Gamel to White Sox?

Rios get's a bad rap. While true he's struggled for 1.5 of the last 2.5 years, he's had seasons of 5.6, 5.0, 3.7, and 3.6 WAR. And he can handle center field.

If the Sox are eating a lot of the money, I don't mind this. Our new 1B replacement could be Hart next year.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rios get's a bad rap. While true he's struggled for 1.5 of the last 2.5 years, he's had seasons of 3.6, 3.7, 5.0, and 5.6 WAR. And he can handle center field.

If the Sox are eating a lot of the money, I don't mind this. Our new 1B replacement could be Hart next year.

Ok. I could get behind this. I'd prefer Braun at 1B though.

I still don't like this though. We need 3B/SS. If we are dealing Gamel, why not see if the Mariners would do a Brendan Ryan and Franklin Gutierrez?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wow. Mega-yuck.

EDIT: I guess I should add on. I don't see why Doug's so hell-bent on getting another outfielder. SS and 3B are far more pressing than getting a righty platoon bat for CF. Even IF Morgan starts against lefties and stinks with the bat, he's still providing value with his plus defense. Betencourt and McGehee playing every day is still more of a detriment to this team than Morgan starting vs. lefties. Even Carroll has a redeeming quality in that he plays solid D.

And yes, we COULD use a better righty platoon CFer, but it's not nearly as pressing as getting upgrades at SS and 3B.

Alex Rios. Ugh.

Can we please make a move with more of a future-ring to it? Especially if we are giving up guys like Green and Gamel?
Contending teams don't add for the future at the trade deadline.

Besides, Rios is signed through 2014 (team option in 2015) and could very well be a better hitter than Gamel anyway.

This deal, or something similar to it could happen on top of a deal for a SS/3B. It's not like this trade would rule out another one like some people are saying. Doug could still pick up Barmes/Carroll also.

We'd have to get a lot of money for Rios for me to not vomit if this goes through. He sucked 2 years ago, was ok last year, and he's worse than Betencourt with the stick this year. He 100% sucks at this point, and is grossly overpaid.

This deal, or something similar to it could happen on top of a deal for a SS/3B. It's not like this trade would rule out another one like some people are saying. Doug could still pick up Barmes/Carroll also.

We'd have to get a lot of money for Rios for me to not vomit if this goes through. He sucked 2 years ago, was ok last year, and he's worse than Betencourt with the stick this year. He 100% sucks at this point, and is grossly overpaid.

I'm not saying I like the deal either. Just that it doesn't mean we won't still get a SS/3B.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Can't we basically have Rios for free? So it'd be like Gamel for just Thornton?

Yeah, but he's owed $49.5M plus the rest of this year. I'd have to imagine the Sox are picking up $30M + of that. So this would beat the heck out of picking him up off of waivers. Still not good, but better than paying him that. He's the worst contract in baseball, including Alfonso Soriano. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

I'm not saying I like the deal either. Just that it doesn't mean we won't still get a SS/3B.
I know, it's just the rumors about Beltran, now Rios.......I just don't get why Melvin's hell bent on getting an overpriced, over 30 outfielder, when there's other things he should be concentrating on. maybe he is, and we just aren't hearing about it......it's just that these rumors make little sense. We have 3 outfielders, all with OPS over .800, and all reasonably priced. I don't get the need to add a guy like Rios, even if he gets money. He's ridiculously overpaid, and he stinks. The guy is OPSing .550 this year.

RoCoBrewfan]

I know, it's just the rumors about Beltran, now Rios.......I just don't get why Melvin's hell bent on getting an overpriced, over 30 outfielder, when there's other things he should be concentrating on. maybe he is, and we just aren't hearing about it......it's just that these rumors make little sense. We have 3 outfielders, all with OPS over .800, and all reasonably priced. I don't get the need to add a guy like Rios, even if he gets money. He's ridiculously overpaid, and he stinks. The guy is OPSing .550 this year.
I agree. And for a guy who will only play CF against LHP, I don't think it's necessary.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived