Brewer Fanatic

Mat Gamel to White Sox?

I will preface by saying I don't know if this guy is credible or not, but he has a couple tweets alluding to the White Sox pursuing Gamel in a trade. No idea how serious this is or what we would receive in return.

http://twitter.com/#!/MrFantasyExpert/status/96313690202181633 Mat Gamel to the White Sox talks have intensified.....something could come of this as soon as later on this evening
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt Thornton maybe? Thornton is owed quite a bit of money over the next 2+ seasons I believe. Still, a bullpen of Axford, Frankie, Thornton and Saito is pretty nice. Thornton is not JUST a LOOGY either.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Well, this is certainly interesting. Don't you take Mat away from me now, Melvin! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Matt Thornton maybe?

Ugh, please no. Not that I don't like Thornton.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thornton was all-star caliber for a number of years but has been pretty terrible this season. I'm not sure I would want him. Ramirez I'd take in a heartbeat. Beckham, too, although I doubt CHW would really trade him.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Matt Thornton maybe?

Ugh, please no. Not that I don't like Thornton.

What kind of value can we expect Gamel to have though? I know he hasn't had a fair chance, but he hasn't hit in MLB yet, is 26 and it's uncertain where he'll play in the field. Not sure why the Sox want him unless they will throw him in a corner OF spot or think he can play 3rd.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I have no interest whatsoever in Beckham. In my view, he's one of the most overrated players over the past decade or so. I think Gamel will be a better hitter, if he ever gets a chance. Ramirez does interest me, but I'd have to think pretty hard about putting Gamel in the deal.

I will get blasted for this, but what about taking on Adam Dunn's contract and really getting a ton from CWS in doing so? He sure was good for the Nats and in the NL in general. He could be our 1B after Prince leaves. And we can maybe do a Gamel straight up for one of Ramirez/Beckham IF we take on Dunn's deal.

Thoughts?

I will get blasted for this, but what about taking on Adam Dunn's contract and really getting a ton from CWS in doing so? He sure was good for the Nats and in the NL in general. He could be our 1B after Prince leaves. And we can maybe do a Gamel straight up for one of Ramirez/Beckham IF we take on Dunn's deal.

Thoughts?

Dunn's first base defense and base running almost completely negate his offensive value when he is hitting. When he's not hitting, well, you get the picture.

GhostofQuantrill

I'd actually think about Dunn, but the White Sox would have to contribute a significant sum. I'm talking in the $10-15 million range. I highly doubt that they would do that so soon into the contract even though they are in payroll shedding mode.

I still think the best thing the Brewers could do at the deadline is to upgrade SS with a D-first guy like Brendan Ryan and stick him in the #8 hole. I could see them going after a Beckham then for Gamel and sticking Beckham at 3B and going with a totally revamped left side of the IF with Ryan and Beckham.

If we deal Gamel for a 34 year old LRP as the centerpiece, I will be quite unhappy.

I know there have been rumors of a Kenny Williams fire sale, and he's certainly a guy who has made some boneheaded moves in the past (see: Rios, Alex). Ramirez is owed a bag of baseballs and nachos this season, and from 2012-2015 he's owed only $32.5 million. He's an average hitter who is usually good for a ~.270/.320/.420/.740 line; he's above average in the field and on the bases. If the Brewers could get Ramirez for Gamel I'd be thrilled. Not going to happen, but it would be sweet, and Kenny Williams is Kenny Williams.

I'd be stunned if we could get Ramirez for Gamel. He's signed for 4/$32M which seems pretty team-friendly.

In terms of a firesale, I think that term would apply to their expensive players like Rios, Konerko, Dunn, etc. Ramirez may well be the last guy that the White Sox would trade.

I'll be interested to see if Kenny has any takers when he puts Rios on waivers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

If it meant getting Ramirez for Gamel + other prospects, I could get behind a Dunn to Milwaukee trade. Dunn becomes a backup 1B/PH (dare I say RF...YUCK!) for the rest of 2011 and is the 1B when Prince leaves, thereby negating the need for Gamel post-2011. The deal is that Dunn is 31 and owed $44MM over the next 3 seasons. Chicago would have to eat half of that for me to even think of picking him up. Having said that, I'll gladly take over Dunn at 3 years/$22MM if it means also having Alexei at 4 year/$32MM.

Wow...can you say pass? This does nothing to help our 3B/SS situation and we are trading one of our only "prospects" (if you can call Gamel that)/1B of the future for a 30+ year old backup OF and almost 35 year old LRP? This is not a good deal.

As a side, if we are dealing Gamel to the White Sox, I think it would almost be mandatory to have Dunn included in the deal. Who plays 1B next season?

Archived